Topics

Superior Detritus Boxcar

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

I found video and a still shot of the infamous Superior Detritus boxcar on the Sunday River G&D video!

The video of it on Layout #2 can be found by playing the DVD at the roughly 2:57, 3:26, 4:30 and 11:04 marks. In three of these, it's in a consist and the other it's sitting on a siding.

I almost gave up looking for it on the final Layout #3. Then, there it was, a still shot, at about a minute before the end of the video! It was sitting on the logging spur at Sowbelly below Cross Junction. I posted a snap of it in the "Pine Ridge RR" album. The photo looked familiar, but then again I have the video script almost memorized. HA! I checked a few publications, but didn't find it. If it was published, it was probably in MR vs. RMC.

So Randy, you can sleep well tonight.

HOLY CRAP you found it.......  Now there is some sleuth work Tom...!   I gave up...!     Will check it out tonight...

Randy

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 11:53 AM Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:
I found video and a still shot of the infamous Superior Detritus boxcar on the Sunday River G&D video!

The video of it on Layout #2 can be found by playing the DVD at the roughly 2:57, 3:26, 4:30 and 11:04 marks. In three of these, it's in a consist and the other it's sitting on a siding.

I almost gave up looking for it on the final Layout #3. Then, there it was, a still shot, at about a minute before the end of the video! It was sitting on the logging spur at Sowbelly below Cross Junction. I posted a snap of it in the "Pine Ridge RR" album. The photo looked familiar, but then again I have the video script almost memorized. HA! I checked a few publications, but didn't find it. If it was published, it was probably in MR vs. RMC.

So Randy, you can sleep well tonight.

Nice shot, I’ve got to get the DVD, I still have the VHS and can’t seem to sell it, I don’t know why people don’t love the old tape technology, nothing like a beautiful, blurry image with a ragged bottom edge to bring back memories!

I’ve always liked Squawbottom, the shot of the team of oxen and the unfinished narrow gauge grade is one of my earliest memories of what an amazing railroad the G&D was...

Russell Courtenay
July is national what month?

On Jul 9, 2019, at 9:53 AM, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:

I found video and a still shot of the infamous Superior Detritus boxcar on the Sunday River G&D video!

The video of it on Layout #2 can be found by playing the DVD at the roughly 2:57, 3:26, 4:30 and 11:04 marks. In three of these, it's in a consist and the other it's sitting on a siding.

I almost gave up looking for it on the final Layout #3. Then, there it was, a still shot, at about a minute before the end of the video! It was sitting on the logging spur at Sowbelly below Cross Junction. I posted a snap of it in the "Pine Ridge RR" album. The photo looked familiar, but then again I have the video script almost memorized. HA! I checked a few publications, but didn't find it. If it was published, it was probably in MR vs. RMC.

So Randy, you can sleep well tonight.

Russ,

The DVD is better visual quality and I like the fact that you can pause the playing and get a decent screen snap because they are digital frames. Of course, your DVD player won't "eat" the media. I want to get all of my VHS tapes copied to DVD and/or hard drives … preferably solid-state drives (SSD). VHS players are getting harder to find. How long will yours last?

However, I hate the background music on the DVD. I wish I could turn it off. Nothing like having stupid music playing while you're trying hear what the narrator is saying or, worse, when you are trying to listen to the trains! This is problem with a lot train videos. If want music, I buy the damn song. I'd rather listen to the "sound track" playing in my head!

Now, you could play or record the VHS tape audio and play that while you watch the DVD with the sound off.

"The thing is, it's very easy to be different, but very difficult to be better."
Jony Ive, former Apple Chief Development Officer

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Make that Chief Design Officer