Topics

Storage limit warning for GandD@groups.io

Russell Courtenay

We’ve got to decide what we want to do with this.

On Mar 8, 2020, at 10:15 AM, Groups.io <noreply@groups.io> wrote:

Hello,

This email message is a notification to let you know that your group GandD@groups.io is using over 80% of its available storage of 1GB. The storage space is used by attachments, files, photos, database images and wiki images. You can view the usage statistics for your group here.

Based on your group settings, when the storage limit is reached, the oldest attachments will be automatically deleted to make space.

Note: If your group is already over its storage allotment, we will delete attachments starting in two weeks from when you received this notice.

If you would like to increase the amount of storage space available for your group, please visit:

https://groups.io/g/GandD/plans

Alternatively, you can set your group to bounce messages that contain attachments. To do so, go to your group's Settings page and look for the 'Out Of Space' setting at the bottom of the 'Message Policies' section.

If you have any questions, please visit our help center.

Cheers,
The Groups.io Team

Warner Swarner

Russell,
About groups.io
Personally, I would support a voluntary annual dues fee.  (Information access tax?) if this is the only means to assure preservation and access (by all) to our files.
I hate the way the entire information storage business process has sneaked into our lives from IBM early on, to Microsoft, Google and the likes holding us hostage to increasing rental fees for storage as well as use of programs.  No longer do we pay for something and then “own” it.
I still “own” my library of old books, magazines, records and CDs, but fear someday I will no longer be able to afford storing them or be able to access them without some information access tax.  Oh well, just a grumpy old man, in retirement years.  Younger generation seems to not care.  “It’s on the cloud” and they assume whatever they want will always be there.  (I wonder if someone will come up with a book or guitar license and tax?)
For now, pay the duty to the Klingons for our protection until the Borg arrive and assimilate everything.
 Warner

On Mar 8, 2020, at 9:41 AM, Russell Courtenay via Groups.Io <walruswebtech@...> wrote:

[...]

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Russell,

What's the warning? Maybe moderators are the only ones who see it. When I add up the attachments, photos and files, get less than 1 GB (839 MB). Not sure what space messages are taking. What's our limit?

If posters want to "save" email attachments, they can/should put them in their album. That way you could delete old attachments. You would have to define "old."

Also, some members have multiple photo albums. I know that doesn't save space, but at least it cuts down on the total number of albums and makes things easier to find. There are also some photos at are … well … less than interesting. They just don't pass the "sniff" test … at least not past their first viewing. Some would be good candidates for "temporary" email attachments.

I’m on a group or two where a simple donation request (PayPal to an email address) was how it was handled.  I think enough was donated in what seemed like a few milliseconds that the problem was solved, at least for a year.

I don’t think it is unreasonable for somebody hosting or providing information, without advertisements (and I assume without selling your private information), to have an expectation for compensation at some point.  I think it’s a pretty great deal to get as much storage as there is at no charge.  Groups.io has expenses and they have to get covered somehow.

With a donation request, enough will likely step up (perhaps more than enough) and some will ride for free.  That’s the way these things go in groups or in life.

Also, the group isn’t rocketing to the max limit but it is climbing slowly.  So this isn’t urgent, but some action is likely inevitable eventually.

If an action is taken to proactively free up storage, I would recommend ditching the email attachments.  They can perhaps be viewed as something with perhaps more transient worth than regular photo or file storage.

[...]

Charles Kinzer

Groups.io has three plans:

Such warnings go to group owners.  I think it was forwarded to us as a “heads up”.

This is the groups.io stated policy about approaching size limits:

“We send you a warning when you've reached 80% of your storage limit. You can configure your group to either bounce messages when you've reached your storage limit, or to automatically delete old attachments to keep you under the storage limit. Photos and files are never automatically deleted.”

And this is what contributes to storage size (messages themselves are not included in the calculation):

“The following are counted towards the storage limits for your group:

  • Files
  • Photos
  • Images in databases
  • Images in wiki pages
  • Message attachments

Messages themselves are not counted towards the storage limits, only any attachments.”

Here are the three plans they offer:

Basic:  Free, 1GB storage

Premium:  $20/month or $220/year, 20 GB storage (and some other additional features)

Enterprise:  $200/month or $2200/year, 1TB storage (and a few features beyond Premium)

What's the warning? Maybe moderators are the only ones who see it. When I add up the attachments, photos and files, get less than 1 GB (839 MB). Not sure what space messages are taking. What's our limit?

If posters want to "save" email attachments, they can/should put them in their album. That way you could delete old attachments. You would have to define "old."

Also, some members have multiple photo albums. I know that doesn't save space, but at least it cuts down on the total number of albums and makes things easier to find. There are also some photos at are … well … less than interesting. They just don't pass the "sniff" test … at least not past their first viewing. Some would be good candidates for "temporary" email attachments.

Ken Dodge

I am a passive member of this group (read regularly but make few if any contributions - certainly no content), but as a nearly lifelong (read: around 65 years) fan of John Allen's and the G & D I would be willing to make a small (say, $5.00/month?) contribution toward ensuring there is sufficient storage capacity for saving this arguably priceless material, on Groups.io or elsewhere.  (I would consider a larger amount if I weren't retired and on a fixed income.  But then again I'm assuming there would be enough like-minded group members to preclude my needing to do so ... ?)

On a parallel note, is it possible (yet) to do a group download of the Group's Files and Photos to local storage, short of individually selecting and downloading them one at a time?  (I'm guessing no ...)

Ken Dodge

Ken Hansen

As noted in the warning shared earlier, the account apparently has a 1 gig storage limit - as noted, we are about 80% of our limit, as your calculations also indicated.

If the fee is minimal, passing the hat may be an option.

Ken

On Mar 8, 2020, at 12:31, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@tefg.com> wrote:

What's the warning? Maybe moderators are the only ones who see it. When I add up the attachments, photos and files, get less than 1 GB (839 MB). Not sure what space messages are taking. What's our limit?

Ken Hansen

That feels kind of steep, maybe examine what's stored there and consider other options (like storing videos, if any, in YouTube and linking to them).

Are there many dupes? Have these files been curated, or just anything anyone wanted to share?

Ken

On Mar 8, 2020, at 12:58, Charles Kinzer <ckinzer@...> wrote:

Here are the three plans they offer:

Basic:  Free, 1GB storage

Premium:  $20/month or $220/year, 20 GB storage (and some other additional features)

Enterprise:  $200/month or $2200/year, 1TB storage (and a few features beyond Premium)

James Babcock

I am willing to contribute.
Jim Babcock

On Sunday, March 8, 2020, 06:11:42 PM GMT-4, Ken Hansen <ken@...> wrote:

As noted in the warning shared earlier, the account apparently has a 1 gig storage limit - as noted, we are about 80% of our limit, as your calculations also indicated.

If the fee is minimal, passing the hat may be an option.

Ken

> On Mar 8, 2020, at 12:31, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:
>
> What's the warning? Maybe moderators are the only ones who see it. When I add up the attachments, photos and files, get less than 1 GB (839 MB). Not sure what space messages are taking. What's our limit?

Russell Courtenay

I’m thinking much of the content on the group is duplicated in the highest quality on Jeff’s site (I put the link in footer of all messages), maybe the large files that are already duplicates can be removed first to see where we are at...

Russell Courtenay
Moderator Team.

On Mar 8, 2020, at 4:11 PM, Ken Hansen <ken@n2vip.org> wrote:

As noted in the warning shared earlier, the account apparently has a 1 gig storage limit - as noted, we are about 80% of our limit, as your calculations also indicated.

If the fee is minimal, passing the hat may be an option.

Ken

On Mar 8, 2020, at 12:31, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@tefg.com> wrote:

What's the warning? Maybe moderators are the only ones who see it. When I add up the attachments, photos and files, get less than 1 GB (839 MB). Not sure what space messages are taking. What's our limit?

Russell Courtenay

As regards costs, I’m thinking: donating towards bandwidth on Jeff’s archive site would probably be more cost-effective than paying a pretty high price to duplicate it here.

Not sure what bandwidth costs these days but I am sure it is less than a full service email group service with extra storage....

On Mar 8, 2020, at 4:17 PM, Russell Courtenay via Groups.Io <walruswebtech=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

It is my sense that most of what is on the group site is NOT what is at either Jeff Witt’s site nor the gdlines site.

Whatever might be duplicated could, of course, be removed.

As regards costs, I’m thinking: donating towards bandwidth on Jeff’s archive site would probably be more cost-effective than paying a pretty high price to duplicate it here.

Not sure what bandwidth costs these days but I am sure it is less than a full service email group service with extra storage....

> On Mar 8, 2020, at 4:17 PM, Russell Courtenay via Groups.Io <walruswebtech@...> wrote:

> I’m thinking much of the content on the group is duplicated in the highest quality on Jeff’s site (I put the link in footer of all messages), maybe the large files that are already duplicates can be removed first to see where we are at...

> Russell Courtenay

> Moderator Team.

> Solemnity and profundity are sublime in inequity.

>> On Mar 8, 2020, at 4:11 PM, Ken Hansen <ken@...> wrote:

>> As noted in the warning shared earlier, the account apparently has a 1 gig storage limit - as noted, we are about 80% of our limit, as your calculations also indicated.

>> If the fee is minimal, passing the hat may be an option.

>> Ken

>>> On Mar 8, 2020, at 12:31, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:

>>> What's the warning? Maybe moderators are the only ones who see it. When I add up the attachments, photos and files, get less than 1 GB (839 MB). Not sure what space messages are taking. What's our limit?

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Russell,

Well, Keith posted the original 78 "Survivor Loco" photos here. These are also on the GDLines site at a much higher resolution.

I deleted today my Squawbottom Station album that contained photos Keith Blanchard had taken of this Pine Canyon kit. I download them several years ago. I also try to keep my album slimmed down and refreshed with newer photos.

I guess running out of space was evitable … 1 GB isn't much. I chipped in at the beginning and will again.

Keith Roger Beard Trinity

Can we delete ALL pictures that are on GDLines and save enough space?
I know my "Burned House" album can be deleted here.
Keith
--
Keith Roger-Beard Trinity, owner,  9 Cielo Vista Terrace, Monterey