Topics

Slow Train Running

Russell Courtenay

Edited

This is about all I have accomplished in the last couple months, started converting this old N scale layout to On30, added 6” to the width so I can have a level 12” radius loop to run my industrial sized equipment. Conveniently, it also fits my HO G&D train. Working on some sketches of the mini-mine, mini-concentrator and mini sawmill, but I just want to run some trains! I work a few minutes at a time as I have the strength.

Looking back at my old posts, I said I had a bad fever March 13 then said nothing more to the group, it turned out (after the 3rd ER visit they finally tested me) to be the dreaded COVID-19 and I seriously thought I was going to die every day for 4 weeks. Nasty stuff.

Recovering now but this is taking a long time, I’m up to working on trains or in the yard for maybe 1/2 hour at a time then back to bed...

image3.jpeg

On May 1, 2020, at 6:49 PM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

Craziest last 6 months of life imaginable.    But it's all worked out fairly good now.   So much to do Russel....  This building, as nice as it is coming out, is actually only about 55% finished.   But I am so happy to be able to get back to work on everything I just don't care about the time lost brotha…   Every day is a good day.

Stay well all...!

  Get away from that portable time shredder and break open a model box Russell.... This hobby is so damned cool.....Go make something to be proud of.

Randy

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 8:35 PM Russell Courtenay via groups.io <walruswebtech=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Looks great Randy! How’s the layout coming?

During this trying time I have been spending an inordinate amount of time online as I lay in bed but for some reason I haven’t seen this on Zuck’s Book.

I am doing lots of planning but not much real building besides a bit of work on my 2 1/2x4 foot On30 layout where I can also run my HO G&D cars!

Did they ever make many G&D or DG&H cabooses? Would’ve kinda nice to have one to end my little train. Funny how tiny HO is after working (playing) with O scale and On30 so long!

I hope you are doing OK, I know Upstate New York is not as bad as other places there but I hope you and yours are avoiding this stuff.

A friend in Wyckoff New Jersey says things are not too bad there, another friend in Camden and others in Hudson and Orange County New York say it is terrible. Things seem to be clearing up here in Idaho, though when you are a 1/4 mile from your nearest neighbor...

On May 1, 2020, at 6:08 PM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

I know some of you guy's do not look on facebook even though I have it set up so you do not have to join that social monster website.      https://www.facebook.com/Great-Divide-Lines-423511918192732/?modal=admin_todo_tour

So here's a recent photo of Port Plastics...  It is far from done but there is enough of a resemblance now to let people see it.
<Port Plastics recent.JPG>

Randy Lee Decker

Edited

Well sir ya did it....     You are still here... !  This hobby is the perfect rehab....!     Gotta love the crazy tiny curves you can get with On30.....  Love those little layouts that are portable at the shows.  I think they have more character and enjoyment than any of the big stretched out HO layouts....

   Welcome back to the living Russell....  BTW  I had it too..!   Damned thing almost killed me but I was done with it in 8 days... then, weeks of weakness.

Model building is what drove me out of bed....   Thanks John.

Randy

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 1:59 AM Russell Courtenay via groups.io <walruswebtech=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I am surviving so far but I won’t sing the Gloria Gaynor song, sorry! I did write a piece of music at the height of my illness, the lyrics are really dark but I can’t sing yet, someday... https://youtu.be/IG3B3_Dd_5Y

I have always loved O scale since my dad’s coworker Ted Hermantes had several loops and an SP roundhouse in his basement. When we went by his house we hoped he would invite us down there, we could tell by his slight smile he did too. We would stand there with our hands behind our backs awestruck as these massive cab forwards and Big Boys would spin on the turntable and head out on the line with a string of Pacific Fruit Express reefers or Harriman passenger cars.

My little layout plan actually is supposed to be dual gauge On30 and On18 (HO and N gauges) with a bit of Proto:48 (1/48 exact 1.177” gauge) along the sides as shown in this sketch, the 12” radius will be a challenge in standard gauge but they did it all the time (with great care and slow speeds) on industrial and trolley lines.
image1.jpeg
I really want to get trains running so am using flex and snap switches but I love hand laid track so multi gauges and custom switches are not a problem. In fact, using cheap Atlas flex track on sharp curves is a real pain because it is so flexible it will not hold a proper curve without kinks at all joints and if you lay it with the ‘loose rail’ on the outside, the gauge goes narrow. Hand laid you pre-bend everything to fit before spiking and soldering anything down.

I am still on stroke watch, many Coronavirus patients a young as 30 are having massive strokes after recovering, the virus seems to leave you weaker and vulnerable and being as I already have high blood pressure, it is a concern.

Glad you are OK Randy, it is a shocker to get this stuff that is all over the news and we hardly even traveled out of the county for weeks before I got sick, no idea who gave it to me, which makes it more baffling and frightening. Things seem to be subsiding a bit here, which is a good thing as some are getting violently opposed to stay at home orders.

On May 2, 2020, at 7:46 AM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

[...]

<image1.jpeg>