Topics

Ryans Gulch who was Ryan?

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Many of the place names on the layout I am keeping the same, Port and Andrews and Gorre etc.... most of the iconic buildings will remain the same.... but on some names..... it's not like some of them had street signs or station signs so anyone would know.  Robinson Cliff is obvious....  but  If I am going to continue to  keep Johns names it would be helpful if I knew who the people were that he named things for in various spots. That way I would have some historic context...  The Col. Ellis engine will most likely end up with the same name..   but if I have no idea why, and at some point, if people ask who come to visit ever ask.... it seems foolish to follow Johns work so blindly.   If I can't even tell them Johns story and no one who is alive today ever knew then it becomes a bit of a reflexive need to copy.... for copyings sake...   Not all of Johns secrets can ever be kept and explained, even the best historians can;t ask all the questions or find all the answers... we lose a little with each generation in the telling of a tale....    But I wonder if something as big as "Ryans Gulch" is known. ?

randyleedecker@...

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Bill Ryan was founder and owner of Pacific Fast Mail (PFM). That's why Ryans Trestle was on the cover of the PFM 25 Years of Fine Models book.

Leming Compressed Gas … Jack Leming was Jim Findley's friend. Jack painted the blue background and clouds on Findley's TIoga Pass RR layout.

JIM'S Barber Shop at Angels Camp might have been named after Jim Findley.

I previously mentioned that BOLES BOUTADES at Port was named after Bruce Boles of Monterey, a former GD operator and owner of Detail Associates. Bruce passed in 2009. Boutades is a French word meaning “a sudden outburst or outbreak.”

Gary Mackin

I do kind of remember that the barber shop was named for Jim Findley, I think it had to do with the amount of editing (cuts) Jim made to John's articles.

Ken Dodge

This sort of thing is why I subscribe to this great group. (I have little if anything to contribute myself, sorry to say.) Thanks Randy and Tom, and everyone else who contributes to the John Allen/GandD story!

Ken Dodge

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Excellent....  Totally forgot about PFM and Bill Ryan.....  That would have hit me eventually....

I did not know the Bruce Boles story at all...  This is great Tom...   What exactly is the connection?  is this a nickname?  Boutades... ? an inside joke perhaps?

The Leming Factory I do remember.....

Gary I know Jim wrote a lot of articles for MR many of them had to do with the buildings he made for John...   I am not sure he cut any articles Linn was always cleverly credited with this in the Altered Articles sign...  LOL...    But now I wonder if Jims Cuts was an inside joke of Jim and Johns about cutting corners on model work? or cutting so much brick paper or etc.   Not sure if we will ever know...   fun to discuss though

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 9:34 PM Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:
Bill Ryan was founder and owner of Pacific Fast Mail (PFM). That's why Ryans Trestle was on the cover of the PFM 25 Years of Fine Models book.

Leming Compressed Gas … Jack Leming was Jim Findley's friend. Jack painted the blue background and clouds on Findley's TIoga Pass RR layout.

JIM'S Barber Shop at Angels Camp might have been named after Jim Findley.

I previously mentioned that BOLES BOUTADES at Port was named after Bruce Boles of Monterey, a former GD operator and owner of Detail Associates. Bruce passed in 2009. Boutades is a French word meaning “a sudden outburst or outbreak.”

Ken, I have a passion to tell Johns story... There a bunch of us who respect this man's tale and want it to be brought to the world.   Some of us are also model railroaders and have chosen that medium to honor John.  You'll find some of our work in the photos section.. Tom seems to have the most compete layout that is close to Johns as they come. There some others who have some incredible sections that are breathtaking in similarity.   Lots of buildings, bridges and car models done perfectly and exact...!   A testament to our respect as modelers.    Fun stuff all....  I am working on a crazy complete rebuild, but I will still be a few years in the making before it will resemble Johns and many more before I can claim any victory...  lol
     But if not for the foresight and generosity of a few guys who used to be regulars in here years ago........ NOTHING. would be available for ANY of us to ever see (not without paying for the same printed photographs from the same people who have printed publications for many years now have used many many times)  A good investment that box of things that Linn had.  The plain, ugly, truth of it. I could not do what I am attempting without those fantastic photographs from John himself and Visitors all shared on one incredible site.   I sat, drop jawed and shocked... not that long ago when I first came across it...  Just not enough can be said for good friends and an open, friendly celebration of the man.
    Please make sure you check out the GDLines.org site, without it, all we would ever have is the work Linn Westcott put forth for John using the photographs and drawings he was given by Johns brother for that specific task.  And his book is just fantastic...  !  Don't get me wrong...!    And well worth the prices it seems to still fetch... but is not nearly the collection of images and information that was done in recent years by generous, historic minded people (true friends of John Allen) with no selfish desire to keep things AWAY from all Johns many fans and selfishly coveted in a drawer or on a dark wall in the den.   Without those photographs Johns story would still be completely held captive by a VERY FEW.
       Now some of the guys who knew John or at least visited often still stop in here.. Some are gone now..  The truth is, they have told so many stories, they have forgotten more than many of us will ever know.  Lots of things in the archines if you check the earlier days of this group.   We get lucky and Don Mitchell still sends us some info fairly regularly...or one of the guys who visited remembers something fun...!    There is a long history here and a few nerves can get pinched but all in all any differences are all brought to the surface for the sake of telling Johns story better.  That is my driving force anyway.  Always will be.  That "can't be wrong".  Even if there seems to be a generation gap and a bit of a long standing history of some memorabilia being kept hidden and private.  I try and picture Gollum and his Ring, sitting in the dark.  That helps me laugh about it all.

  I love the fact that I keep finding new things about John and his layout and the people who knew him best.  John truly had some GOOD people as friends...  !

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 9:43 PM Ken Dodge <k.dodge@...> wrote:
This sort of thing is why I subscribe to this great group. (I have little if anything to contribute myself, sorry to say.) Thanks Randy and Tom, and everyone else who contributes to the John Allen/GandD story!

Ken Dodge

Bill P

From My G&D Files

Captain David L. Cooper, U.S. Navy, ret. passed away January 17, 2013
Dave built the overhead Catenary for the Cooper Electric trolley line, and also gifted John with the "red train", consisting of a Bowser NYC Pacific and Athearn streamlined cars.

All for now.  Bill P. (bcd9 )  ∑:=)