Topics

Restored G&D No. 10 in February, 2020 Model Railroader Magazine article

Charles Kinzer

The February, 2020 Model Railroader has a very nice article, “Miracle in Monterey:  The restoration of G-D Line no. 10” by Charlie Getz.  Pages 30 to 35.

It is about the restoration of John Allen’s ACTUAL fire damaged engine (one of the ones squirreled away for years in “the satchel”) by Kenichi Matsumoto.

The article touches upon the history of “the satchel”, John Allen, Charlie Getz, and Pacific Fast Mail.  Pacific Fast Mail was the importer of the Sakura built copy of the venerable Varney Dockside.  Except the Sakura had nice brass valve gear and better detail parts.  The article also touches on the upcoming “Magic of Scale Model Railroading” exhibit at the California State Railroad Museum.

You can see a PFM Sakura Dockside here in photos at BrassTrains.com.  Notice the little “F” in the builder plate.  Varney had a “V”.

https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/Pdg/Detail/21616/HO-Steam-Pacific-Fast-Mail-P-Baltimore-Ohio-0-4-0T-C-16-SWITCHER

There is some history on the Sakura Dockside that I seem to have forgotten.  Such as I forget what the “F” stood for.  And I believe one of the players in Japan didn’t think it was right for somebody else in Japan to make a dead on copy of the Varney cast boiler.  Maybe somebody else remembers that history, or I will run across that story again somewhere.

If you search for “Kenichi Matsumoto gorre & daphetid” you can find many links to photos of G&D recreations by this excellent craftsman.

But this article is about a restoration, not a recreation.

Fantastic to see this.       Might consider buying a MR magazine for this.  I hope someone mentioned Rod Smiths historic minded, keeping of those engines in that satchel for so many years.... and his generous gift to the museum of these treasures, to the museum last year.   Rod was an operator and friend of Johns and has shared so many fantastic stories of his time there and his last visit in around the Christmas of 72 when John was feeling so tired those few days before his death.     Either way it is good to see a few of Johns engines redone...  There are plenty of Burned twisted hulks to put in a case.  A few restorations will be nice to see.

Randy

Warner Swarner

Randy, and all, this is a good New Years present.  Even though I just let my MR subscription expire after over 50 years!  I might go buy one more.  Thanks.
Warner