Topics

Pine Ridge RR #42 (ALA GD #42)

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

I posted some photos in my album of my restored PR #42, which was modeled after the GD #42. I know of only one photo (RMC 1967 & 1981 covers) that shows her at work on the GD Line.

I built version #1 in 1981 or 82, but she needed an overhaul, sound decoder, lights and a Vandy coal tender. Oh, and all flanged drivers now that she can run on 26" minimum radiuses.

She runs and sounds great and, weighing 26 oz., is a welcome addition to the Arapaho Mountains of Great Divide Division.

I love the big 2-8-2s, we have one preserved in Boise I would love to have an O scale model of. Unfortunately, they were so big they were never allowed on the branchline that runs through our little town, they double headed 2-8-0s up the canyon.

https://groups.io/g/GandD/photo/86445/2?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

On Apr 7, 2020, at 12:29 PM, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:

I posted some photos in my album of my restored PR #42, which was modeled after the GD #42. I know of only one photo (RMC 1967 & 1981 covers) that shows her at work on the GD Line.

I built version #1 in 1981 or 82, but she needed an overhaul, sound decoder, lights and a Vandy coal tender. Oh, and all flanged drivers now that she can run on 26" minimum radiuses.

She runs and sounds great and, weighing 26 oz., is a welcome addition to the Arapaho Mountains of Great Divide Division.

John's purposeful tender choices to give a different look are fun to figure out...   I notice so many things John did really take some research to get it right....  It is time consuming and a bit frustrating at times but ya gotta love the man's efforts with every aspect of model railroading.

Nice Job figuring this one out Tom...   Looks perfect to me...!

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 2:29 PM Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:
I posted some photos in my album of my restored PR #42, which was modeled after the GD #42. I know of only one photo (RMC 1967 & 1981 covers) that shows her at work on the GD Line.

I built version #1 in 1981 or 82, but she needed an overhaul, sound decoder, lights and a Vandy coal tender. Oh, and all flanged drivers now that she can run on 26" minimum radiuses.

She runs and sounds great and, weighing 26 oz., is a welcome addition to the Arapaho Mountains of Great Divide Division.

Thanks, Randy!

I used the Bachmann Union Pacific coal tender (trimmed off the bunker curvature) as showing in the video link Russell posted.

I also added plastic boiler bands, washout plugs, smoke box hatches, some extra piping, brake shoes, and HObbyline cab flooring/underside details.

Ok, I missed the cover shot of her on "The Book."

Ohhhh your right this is the engine on the cover....!    That's funny...  I have looked at the engine at least a thousand times since I was 8.       LOL

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 9:23 PM Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:
Thanks, Randy!

I used the Bachmann Union Pacific coal tender (trimmed off the bunker curvature) as showing in the video link Russell posted.

I also added plastic boiler bands, washout plugs, smoke box hatches, some extra piping, brake shoes, and HObbyline cab flooring/underside details.

Ok, I missed the cover shot of her on "The Book."

David

Hi Tom,

So that is where you got the tender.  I thought it was a modified Kemtron one.  Learn something new every day.

David (D.G. & W.)

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

I reposted some photos of PR #42 and a version of The Book cover. That's Dave Gorelle's GD #38 2-6-6-2 in the background. It would probably be better to show a narrow gauge loco on the bluff on the left.

I plan to re-shoot the RMC cover one.

Looks great Tom! Here’s a direct link to the album: https://groups.io/g/GandD/photo/86445/1?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

I notice it has the large, low sand dome like on late 4-8-4s and larger, I assume this is a model of a late steam era 2-8-2 and not a ‘standard’ USRA design?

On Apr 9, 2020, at 12:05 AM, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:

I reposted some photos of PR #42 and a version of The Book cover. That's Dave Gorelle's GD #38 2-6-6-2 in the background. It would probably be better to show a narrow gauge loco on the bluff on the left.

I plan to re-shoot the RMC cover one.

Thanks, Russell … I appreciate that.

The boiler and mechanism are from a circa 1970s Tyco/Mantua kit. The pilot, 4-hatch sand dome, cab and cab floor/underside are parts from an old mid-1950s HObbyline Baldwin Lima-Hamilton Berkshire (NPK) all plastic kit, which what John used for GD #45.

I used several brass detail parts, as well. I replaced the plastic pilot and trailing truck wheels with NWLS nickel silver wheels, so the loco has 6 pick-up wheels. I installed a Sagami 32-20mm can motor with flywheel and NWSL gearbox (probably 28:1). The tender has a small Tsumani2 decoder, TCS KA1 Keep Alive, and TDS "sugar cube" speaker and enclosure. Amazing sound coming out of that sugar cube! She'll creep at speed step one … thanks to that flywheel.

I replaced the sand dome and cab section during the restore and rerouted a pipe from the steam generator to the feedwater heater pump. Dave Gorelle (DG Locos) pointed out to me that John also shortened the boiler. Reviewing Rod Smith's photos also confirmed this, so I cut & filed off about a foot of the cast-on valve cover and slid the new cab forward. (Wasn't a bad as I thought it was going to be.) It doesn't sound like much, but I think it made a big difference. This loco was not to far off from the length of a Berkshire! At 47' 10", this loco is still 22" longer than my longest Mikado, a NYC H10b. John certainly had an eye for what "looks right."

I'm really glad that I can now run all flanged drivers. If I have a lot of cars behind her (~10+) starting out on a grade, I have to back her up to take out the slack first. Now, how cool is that! I have to believe that GD #42 was one the GD operating crew's favorites.

Ya got to love John.  Every single thing he did was customised in some way.  I have a few of John's engines but other than the 2-6-6-2 Sierra right out of the box or the C&O Mallet, none of the engines I have are exactly correct.   They are close, but without the modification John did they will never be quite right.
It looks like Tom is now going the way of Dave Gorelle, and the engine roster is getting heavier.

Hats off Tom..!  The changes John made can be very time consuming but when you do them things just look right.

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Thank you, Randy.

You're right about John … he customized about everything.

I just posted a better photo of my version of the RMC cover pages (May 67 & Oct 81). RMC cropped and changed the exposures on them.

I also found some very interesting Photo editing features on my iPhone XS, e.g., changing the exposure. Comes in mighty handy for putting some light on "black" locos, particularly the drivers. The camera on this is incredible in low light.

Plan to re-create my version of GD #12 0-6-0 next. (My original was stolen years ago.)

Tom Milam

Tom.
Sad a visitor would steal a locomotive, but you like John had one stolen. History repeats itself. You do have a recreation of the Gorre and Daphetid Railroad in all aspects.
Nice work on the locomotive roster!
Tom Milam

On Apr 10, 2020, at 1:04 AM, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:

Thank you, Randy.

You're right about John … he customized about everything.

I just posted a better photo of my version of the RMC cover pages (May 67 & Oct 81). RMC cropped and changed the exposures on them.

I also found some very interesting Photo editing features on my iPhone XS, e.g., changing the exposure. Comes in mighty handy for putting some light on "black" locos, particularly the drivers. The camera on this is incredible in low light.

Plan to re-create my version of GD #12 0-6-0 next. (My original was stolen years ago.)

Thank you, Tom. I always appreciate the comments.

I built PR #12 and PR #47 (Mantua/Tyco and light USRA Cary boiler) in the mid-1980s. (I posted photos of them in my album.) They were both stolen in 1988-89 from the South Bay Model RR & Supply Co. in Redondo Beach, CA, where I had them on display. After Bill Weaver sold the shop, the new owner moved them from a locked display cabinet to an unlocked display under a counter top. It was a very tough lesson. (I was between layouts, so I wasn't using them.)

I have all the parts to rebuild them both, with the exception of the decoder stuff. I started on the #12 rebuild a few years ago, but set it aside. The recreation has nickel silver drivers. Unlike the GD version, it has a plastic boiler and tender. I'll melt Cerrobend into the boiler. I also cut window openings on both sides of the cab, because I didn't realize at the time that John only opened up the engineers side.

No, I definitely don't have the GD layout recreation in all aspects. My layout room is about two-thirds the size (~425 sf) of John's. I enjoy recreating several of the GD structures, locos, and some scenes. You can take a look at the MHR July 2012, August 2013 and Nov 2019 articles. Joe Fugate also produced a Pine Ridge RR DVD; you can find a promo clip of it on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0FQa51kYDg The GD 8, 34, 38 and 40 locos are Dave Gorelle's.

Thanks again.