Topics

Pine Ridge RR #12 0-6-0

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

I posted photos in my Pine Ridge RR album of PR #12 0-6-0. This loco is based on a Southern Pacific SP-8 Baldwin Locomotive Works.

I know I probably sound like a broken record, but my original PR #12 was stolen from a Redondo Beach, CA hobby shop in 1988-89 … 30+ years ago.

I purchased the Roundhouse Products #410 undecorated kit and parts over the last several years. I kept the part labels in the original box and used them to make my parts list. She has a Sagami 163049 can motor, NWSL 36:1 1546 gearbox and nickel silver drivers and tender wheels. I used a Tsunami2 TSU1100 884006 decoder, TCS K1 1454 Keep Alive and TDS sugar cube speaker.

I added Cerrobend to the plastic boiler and pulled the weight up to 8.8 oz. John’s GD #12 0-6-0 was all metal and rated at six cars pulled. Mine currently pulls four cars on grades, but I think the tender axel wiper tension is a little too tight. I hope to get her up to five cars, so would be happy with that.

The 12V bulbs in the brass oil lamps are running too hot. I know I should have used LEDs, but plan to use a resistor to lower the voltage. Running on Function 7 dim didn’t help that much.

Always good to see your stuff Tom...   Will be climbing that G&D Engine ladder eventually.    I doubt I will ever get to far.    Always nice to see the excellent research you have done.   I will refer to You and Dave Gorelle and Kenichi's work on the Roster.     Nice job...

Thanks Tom, looks good. Have any video of switching with it?

I have seen some early Roundhouse diecast boilers from time to time, maybe substituting one of these would add weight.

In fact, I have several boilers left from old HO trains given to us as kids, unfortunately, most of them have zinc rot....

On Oct 17, 2020, at 12:19 PM, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Randy ... I appreciate the nice comments.

I plan to tackle the PR #15 0-8-0 switcher next. I'll be using a Proto 2000 USRA that I purchased 20 years ago. This DCC-ready version has power on both sides of the front drivers and no tender wheel pickup. I'll be using the stock clear-vision tender, which has great detail. I planned to use a Tyco/Mantua sloped-back tender, but decided to go with the stock tender. The decoder install will be easier, so this should be a quick hit.

Thanks, Russell.

I take videos of test runs, but need to take some videos of the PR #12 final product. I've been using an iPhone XS and sometimes a older Canon Vixia HF20 HD, but I just ordered an iPhone 12 Pro, so will be interested to see the huge quality improvement in the photos and videos. (The iPhone 12 Pro Max camera/video recorder is awesome and a game changer!) I now have a Joby TightGrip Mount Pro for smartphones, so I can use my tripod.

Then, it's just matter of reducing those MOV files into a manageable file size. They are really huge. I've had issues downloading the big ones (>500 MB) to my PC. The PC app and direct downloads gag. I guess I must be doing something wrong. I'm hoping my new iPad Air 4 gen will solve that problem.

I'll let you know how it goes.

John Hagen

Tom.

Thanks for posting  the photo of #12 before painting.

The other photos look like all that work was part of the kit instead of added on. That the work should be so un-obvious is a mark of excellence in modelling.

John Hagen

[...]

Jeffrey L Witt

Tom,

There is a great free open source program called "Handbrake" which does all kinds of video conversions. I had an issue with MOV files, too, from my brother's Polaroid cube camera he mounts to a flat car to get video.

Handbrake was able to "fix" it for me. Just use your favorite search engine to find it.

Here's a sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Ifa336ges

Jeff

P.S. Nice work on the locos!!!

David Woodrell

Excellent work, as usual, Tom.  Like having our own modern day version of the G&D.  Did you special order the drivers and tender wheels, nickel silver plate them yourself or have it done commercially?

I look forward to seeing #15.

Dave

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Thank you for the nice comments, John!

Yes, I like seeing the details I've added before painting. I was really glad I took photos of the original before painting, too.

Great comment about the "work should be so un-obvious" ... I hadn't really thought of that. Thanks.

Thanks, Jeff.

And, thanks for info on the Handbrake video software. I'll check it out.

WOW! The video of your Taggart Transcontinental RR was fantastic! How about some photos of the video camera on the flatcar? We need more photos of your TT layout, too.

Thank you, David ... I really appreciate it!

I ordered the tender wheels on eBay (T J Model Trains - TJPrantle). They're PSC #32072 Nickel 33" insulated one side, pointed, set of 4 $16.00.

I'm not sure where I purchased the 51" drivers. I know I have a receipt somewhere. The newer RTR Roundhouse 2-6-0 used them. It was either: 1) on Athearn's website Part section (they don't have them listed now) or, 2) the old Caboose Hobbies, which I believe had them in a bag on their parts rack. Man, I miss that place! But, now you can get your $5 hot brown water there and have lots of room to park.

Warner Swarner

Jeff,
Re: Handbrake program
This is very valuable info.  Will it allow me to transfer MOV files from IPad to Windows computer.  As of about a year ago the movie files on my IPad or IPhone will not open, copy, or move from IPad.  I was told Apple changed their format.  None of my skills have allowed me to even backup my IPad MOV files to Windows 10 (even newest updated) computers. Whenever Windows sees one of these files it shuts down and says the device can not be accessed.  I have to disconnect and start over.  (No problem with JPG files).
Will this “Handbrake“ program run on Windows 10 and work to access New version of IPad MOV files?
I am not a tech savvy person.
Warner

On Oct 18, 2020, at 5:25 AM, Jeffrey L Witt via groups.io <jlwitt@...> wrote:

Tom,

There is a great free open source program called "Handbrake" which does all kinds of video conversions. I had an issue with MOV files, too, from my brother's Polaroid cube camera he mounts to a flat car to get video.

Handbrake was able to "fix" it for me. Just use your favorite search engine to find it.

Here's a sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Ifa336ges

Jeff

P.S. Nice work on the locos!!!

Jeffrey L Witt

Hey Warner,

Well, you have to get the files on a PC first, then Handbrake can convert them to mp4, whatever...

I'm not an Apple user/fan, so can't help with that but you should be able to copy ANY file over, I would think. Whether or not the PC knows what to do with it is the issue Handbrake can help with.

Maybe rename the file to transfer it?

Good luck, Jeff.

Jeffrey L Witt

I'll have to get some pix of the camera car...but in the meantime...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ictqTFrUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2fkzK6MoRs

Charles Kinzer

Interesting lettering on the ore car.  Is that lettering available somewhere?