Topics

Pine Ridge RR #12 0-6-0

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

I posted photos in my Pine Ridge RR album of PR #12 0-6-0. This loco is based on a Southern Pacific SP-8 Baldwin Locomotive Works.

I know I probably sound like a broken record, but my original PR #12 was stolen from a Redondo Beach, CA hobby shop in 1988-89 … 30+ years ago.

I purchased the Roundhouse Products #410 undecorated kit and parts over the last several years. I kept the part labels in the original box and used them to make my parts list. She has a Sagami 163049 can motor, NWSL 36:1 1546 gearbox and nickel silver drivers and tender wheels. I used a Tsunami2 TSU1100 884006 decoder, TCS K1 1454 Keep Alive and TDS sugar cube speaker.

I added Cerrobend to the plastic boiler and pulled the weight up to 8.8 oz. John’s GD #12 0-6-0 was all metal and rated at six cars pulled. Mine currently pulls four cars on grades, but I think the tender axel wiper tension is a little too tight. I hope to get her up to five cars, so would be happy with that.

The 12V bulbs in the brass oil lamps are running too hot. I know I should have used LEDs, but plan to use a resistor to lower the voltage. Running on Function 7 dim didn’t help that much.

--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

Randy Lee Decker

Always good to see your stuff Tom...   Will be climbing that G&D Engine ladder eventually.    I doubt I will ever get to far.    Always nice to see the excellent research you have done.   I will refer to You and Dave Gorelle and Kenichi's work on the Roster.     Nice job... 

Randy 

Russell Courtenay

Thanks Tom, looks good. Have any video of switching with it?

I have seen some early Roundhouse diecast boilers from time to time, maybe substituting one of these would add weight. 

In fact, I have several boilers left from old HO trains given to us as kids, unfortunately, most of them have zinc rot....

Russell Courtenay
Solemnity and profundity are sublime in inequity. 

On Oct 17, 2020, at 12:19 PM, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:

I posted photos in my Pine Ridge RR album of PR #12 0-6-0. This loco is based on a Southern Pacific SP-8 Baldwin Locomotive Works.

I know I probably sound like a broken record, but my original PR #12 was stolen from a Redondo Beach, CA hobby shop in 1988-89 … 30+ years ago.

I purchased the Roundhouse Products #410 undecorated kit and parts over the last several years. I kept the part labels in the original box and used them to make my parts list. She has a Sagami 163049 can motor, NWSL 36:1 1546 gearbox and nickel silver drivers and tender wheels. I used a Tsunami2 TSU1100 884006 decoder, TCS K1 1454 Keep Alive and TDS sugar cube speaker.

I added Cerrobend to the plastic boiler and pulled the weight up to 8.8 oz. John’s GD #12 0-6-0 was all metal and rated at six cars pulled. Mine currently pulls four cars on grades, but I think the tender axel wiper tension is a little too tight. I hope to get her up to five cars, so would be happy with that.

The 12V bulbs in the brass oil lamps are running too hot. I know I should have used LEDs, but plan to use a resistor to lower the voltage. Running on Function 7 dim didn’t help that much.

--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

Thanks, Randy ... I appreciate the nice comments.

I plan to tackle the PR #15 0-8-0 switcher next. I'll be using a Proto 2000 USRA that I purchased 20 years ago. This DCC-ready version has power on both sides of the front drivers and no tender wheel pickup. I'll be using the stock clear-vision tender, which has great detail. I planned to use a Tyco/Mantua sloped-back tender, but decided to go with the stock tender. The decoder install will be easier, so this should be a quick hit.

--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

Thanks, Russell.

I take videos of test runs, but need to take some videos of the PR #12 final product. I've been using an iPhone XS and sometimes a older Canon Vixia HF20 HD, but I just ordered an iPhone 12 Pro, so will be interested to see the huge quality improvement in the photos and videos. (The iPhone 12 Pro Max camera/video recorder is awesome and a game changer!) I now have a Joby TightGrip Mount Pro for smartphones, so I can use my tripod.

Then, it's just matter of reducing those MOV files into a manageable file size. They are really huge. I've had issues downloading the big ones (>500 MB) to my PC. The PC app and direct downloads gag. I guess I must be doing something wrong. I'm hoping my new iPad Air 4 gen will solve that problem.

I'll let you know how it goes.

--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

John Hagen

Tom.

Thanks for posting  the photo of #12 before painting.

The other photos look like all that work was part of the kit instead of added on. That the work should be so un-obvious is a mark of excellence in modelling.

John Hagen

From: GandD@groups.io <GandD@groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)
Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2020 1:19 PM
To: GandD@groups.io
Subject: [GandD] Pine Ridge RR #12 0-6-0

--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

--
John Hagen

Jeffrey L Witt

Tom,

There is a great free open source program called "Handbrake" which does all kinds of video conversions. I had an issue with MOV files, too, from my brother's Polaroid cube camera he mounts to a flat car to get video.

Handbrake was able to "fix" it for me. Just use your favorite search engine to find it.

Here's a sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Ifa336ges  

Jeff

P.S. Nice work on the locos!!!

David Woodrell

Excellent work, as usual, Tom.  Like having our own modern day version of the G&D.  Did you special order the drivers and tender wheels, nickel silver plate them yourself or have it done commercially?

I look forward to seeing #15.

Dave

Thank you for the nice comments, John!

Yes, I like seeing the details I've added before painting. I was really glad I took photos of the original before painting, too.

Great comment about the "work should be so un-obvious" ... I hadn't really thought of that. Thanks.

--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

Thanks, Jeff.

And, thanks for info on the Handbrake video software. I'll check it out.

WOW! The video of your Taggart Transcontinental RR was fantastic! How about some photos of the video camera on the flatcar? We need more photos of your TT layout, too.

--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

Thank you, David ... I really appreciate it!

I ordered the tender wheels on eBay (T J Model Trains - TJPrantle). They're PSC #32072 Nickel 33" insulated one side, pointed, set of 4 $16.00.

I'm not sure where I purchased the 51" drivers. I know I have a receipt somewhere. The newer RTR Roundhouse 2-6-0 used them. It was either: 1) on Athearn's website Part section (they don't have them listed now) or, 2) the old Caboose Hobbies, which I believe had them in a bag on their parts rack. Man, I miss that place! But, now you can get your $5 hot brown water there and have lots of room to park.

--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

Warner Swarner

Jeff,
Re: Handbrake program
This is very valuable info.  Will it allow me to transfer MOV files from IPad to Windows computer.  As of about a year ago the movie files on my IPad or IPhone will not open, copy, or move from IPad.  I was told Apple changed their format.  None of my skills have allowed me to even backup my IPad MOV files to Windows 10 (even newest updated) computers. Whenever Windows sees one of these files it shuts down and says the device can not be accessed.  I have to disconnect and start over.  (No problem with JPG files).  
Will this “Handbrake“ program run on Windows 10 and work to access New version of IPad MOV files? 
I am not a tech savvy person.
Warner

On Oct 18, 2020, at 5:25 AM, Jeffrey L Witt via groups.io <jlwitt@...> wrote:

Tom,

There is a great free open source program called "Handbrake" which does all kinds of video conversions. I had an issue with MOV files, too, from my brother's Polaroid cube camera he mounts to a flat car to get video.

Handbrake was able to "fix" it for me. Just use your favorite search engine to find it.

Here's a sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Ifa336ges  

Jeff

P.S. Nice work on the locos!!!

Jeffrey L Witt

Hey Warner,

Well, you have to get the files on a PC first, then Handbrake can convert them to mp4, whatever...

I'm not an Apple user/fan, so can't help with that but you should be able to copy ANY file over, I would think. Whether or not the PC knows what to do with it is the issue Handbrake can help with.

Maybe rename the file to transfer it?

Good luck, Jeff.

Jeffrey L Witt

I'll have to get some pix of the camera car...but in the meantime...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ictqTFrUI 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2fkzK6MoRs

Charles Kinzer

Interesting lettering on the ore car.  Is that lettering available somewhere?

Charles E. “Chuck” Kinzer

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2020 11:21 AM
Subject: Re: [GandD] Pine Ridge RR #12 0-6-0

I'll have to get some pix of the camera car...but in the meantime...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ictqTFrUI 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2fkzK6MoRs

Hi Jeff,

Really great videos and photos of the TT! WOW! GREAT WORK! Love those ore cars. Super weathering and "damage." The green ore car looks like it's wearing fine scale wheels. I definitely noticed the Danagger sign.

You should add these to you Photos album. You could also put the video links in the Files section. How large is your layout?

Hey, Russell ... maybe you can rename the Topic for Jeff's stuff. I think it going to generate a lot of discussion, which has already started.

--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

Jeffrey L Witt

Chuck,

It was a V&T car (normal MDC). My brother re-lettered it for G&D because he also liked the interesting lettering. The loco is his, too.

I weathered it for him after we had a "friendly discussion" about techniques; he dry-brushes, I use pastel chalks and washes after a hosing with Dull-cote.

They're Kadee wheelsets (I believe these were the code 88) in the standard MDC trucks. I polish them (while in a junk truck) with a brass brush in my Dremel. Then paint and chalk.

The trucks get a spray-bomb of flat black, then chalks.

The "damage" is from a soldering iron.

Warner Swarner

Jeff, 
That’s where the old ways won’t work.  
I can’t copy, cut/paste or move Most recent MOV files from iPad to Windows.  Even reading through Handbrake browse.
Even using Handbrake It will (Occasionally copy one file and change to MP4) then the next file will stop at 92% and give an “error Device is unreachable” or “cant read the source file” and not allow further recognition from IPad till disconnected/reconnected, start over and repeat.  This is the case on several Windows computers (not just one) and from two different  iPads. 
I was able to copy and convert three MOV files out of different folders using Handbrake when. Random frustration is the worst. (File size, date, name etc are not the issue)
I know this isn’t GD problem but really appreciate knowing if any other members have encountered such a crazy problem or ANY advice who to ask. Apple: no help. Geek squad: no help.  You Tube: worse “just copy and paste”.
Thanks for letting me air my difficulty and hijack this thread . 
Bottom line Handbrake IS useful to convert files IF you can get them onto PC.
Thanks go out to this entire group. You are awesome modelers. 
Keep the faith and stay sane. 
Warner Swarner

On Oct 18, 2020, at 11:00 AM, Jeffrey L Witt via groups.io <jlwitt@...> wrote:

Hey Warner,

Well, you have to get the files on a PC first, then Handbrake can convert them to mp4, whatever...

I'm not an Apple user/fan, so can't help with that but you should be able to copy ANY file over, I would think. Whether or not the PC knows what to do with it is the issue Handbrake can help with.

Good luck, Jeff.

Charles Kinzer

Thanks.  I’m asking because I’ve been tinkering with the idea of making a small nonsensical G&D tribute layout.  Very small.

Part of the inspiration is the G&D Piker you made (very nice by the way).  And that John Allen had some Docksides.  So I have a Varney and a Sakura Docksides for this.  And also (horrors a diesel, well perhaps gas) Cary cab equipped Athearn Hustler.  The only freight would be ore cars and a short caboose.  In addition to the Piker, would be an Oscar and a similar short RPO car.  I got a full length Walthers RPO car and the RPO door and its 3 windows of the RPO section will fit quite nicely.

But I’m considering killing another bird with this stone.  I always wanted to make a black and white layout.  No color.  To make it look more vintage in person.  So I’m considering that aspect also.

I have a lot of projects I will never get to, but this one has been slowly percolating towards the top.

Charles E. “Chuck” Kinzer 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2020 12:56 PM
Subject: Re: [GandD] Pine Ridge RR #12 0-6-0

Chuck,

It was a V&T car (normal MDC). My brother re-lettered it for G&D because he also liked the interesting lettering. The loco is his, too.

I weathered it for him after we had a "friendly discussion" about techniques; he dry-brushes, I use pastel chalks and washes after a hosing with Dull-cote.

They're Kadee wheelsets (I believe these were the code 88) in the standard MDC trucks. I polish them (while in a junk truck) with a brass brush in my Dremel. Then paint and chalk.

The trucks get a spray-bomb of flat black, then chalks.

The "damage" is from a soldering iron.

Russell Courtenay

What model and OS is your iPad Warner? Sounds like a connection issue...

Russell Courtenay
Solemnity and profundity are sublime in inequity. 

On Oct 18, 2020, at 2:41 PM, Warner Swarner via groups.io <wbswarner@...> wrote:

Jeff, 
That’s where the old ways won’t work.  
I can’t copy, cut/paste or move Most recent MOV files from iPad to Windows.  Even reading through Handbrake browse.
Even using Handbrake It will (Occasionally copy one file and change to MP4) then the next file will stop at 92% and give an “error Device is unreachable” or “cant read the source file” and not allow further recognition from IPad till disconnected/reconnected, start over and repeat.  This is the case on several Windows computers (not just one) and from two different  iPads. 
I was able to copy and convert three MOV files out of different folders using Handbrake when. Random frustration is the worst. (File size, date, name etc are not the issue)
I know this isn’t GD problem but really appreciate knowing if any other members have encountered such a crazy problem or ANY advice who to ask. Apple: no help. Geek squad: no help.  You Tube: worse “just copy and paste”.
Thanks for letting me air my difficulty and hijack this thread . 
Bottom line Handbrake IS useful to convert files IF you can get them onto PC.
Thanks go out to this entire group. You are awesome modelers. 
Keep the faith and stay sane. 
Warner Swarner

On Oct 18, 2020, at 11:00 AM, Jeffrey L Witt via groups.io <jlwitt@...> wrote:

Hey Warner,

Good luck, Jeff.