Topics

Paint

OK lets see how good everyone's memory is.....  Who can quote Johns locomotive paint formula? I can remember reading it somewhere either in Linn's book or an old JWA article. It was so many parts black with so many parts red and so many other parts white or grey or.... I just can't remember any more can someone help out?., thanks

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Well of all the things John did he also must have actually had a magic wand and knew how to use it.   Apparently the term "Wizard" actually did apply....
    Because he used a brush and did not have Floquil paints...    I have tried that...  Will never do that again.....   I have no idea how he could make his engines look as good as they did using that technique regardless of he paint mix.

Randy

On Sun, Jul 7, 2019 at 5:49 PM Russ Desmond via Groups.Io <capdes101=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

OK lets see how good everyone's memory is.....  Who can quote Johns locomotive paint formula? I can remember reading it somewhere either in Linn's book or an old JWA article. It was so many parts black with so many parts red and so many other parts white or grey or.... I just can't remember any more can someone help out?., thanks

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

His usual formula was: 70% black, 25% white and 5% red. The red provides a warm hue. John varied his weathering, so each loco didn't look the same. He probably just eye-balled the percentages. He applied a couple of coats using tinned enamel with a brush.

I use the same formula and estimate the numbers, too. Sometimes I substitute boxcar red for the red. I spray my locos, but would like to give the "brush" method a try just to experience it.

Kurt Youngmann

My memory, always suspect at my age, is that he did have Floquil paints. They were definitely available back then and I’m quite certain that he had a large array in the workbench area just before entering the railroad room.

Kurt Youngmann

On Jul 7, 2019, at 5:08 PM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

Because he used a brush and did not have Floquil paints...

"Science is the key to our future, and if you don't believe in science, then you're holding everybody back. And it's fine if you as an adult want to run around pretending or claiming that you don't believe in evolution, but if we educate a generation of people who don't believe in science, that's a recipe for disaster. . . . The main idea in all of biology is evolution. To not teach it to our young people is wrong."
— Bill Nye, the Science Guy

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Trying to find where I found the mention of painting his engines now.   I was totally surprised they did not mention Floquil for painting engines.  Not having them a tall may have been an overstatement.   I did make that leap of logic because I would think if he had them he would have used them for engines..  And I was surprised they did not say he used them.   Glad you remember the paints Kurt.  I I am glad he used the stuff...   Makes me proud still have so many.   I am totally addicted to them and will keep buying the old bottles until I can't get them anymore.    I found the info;;Pages 128-129

 Many of today's modelers will be appalled to learn how John painted his locomotives. For starters, he never used an airbrush: "All painting is done by hand brush using flat oil paint such as Pactra enamel. I prefer two thin coats to one heavy one as this seems to lessen the obstruction of fine detail. The boilers are cleaned thoroughly before painting by lightly scrubbing with weak acid and then rinsing. Black locomotive paint is mixed to the desired color, usually 70 percent black, 25 percent white, and 5 percent red." John added that he varied colors from engine to engine, and that the principle thing to remember about weathering was not to overdo it.

On Sun, Jul 7, 2019 at 8:37 PM Kurt Youngmann <tgobbi@...> wrote:
My memory, always suspect at my age, is that he did have Floquil paints. They were definitely available back then and I’m quite certain that he had a large array in the workbench area just before entering the railroad room.

Kurt Youngmann

On Jul 7, 2019, at 5:08 PM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

Because he used a brush and did not have Floquil paints...

"Science is the key to our future, and if you don't believe in science, then you're holding everybody back. And it's fine if you as an adult want to run around pretending or claiming that you don't believe in evolution, but if we educate a generation of people who don't believe in science, that's a recipe for disaster. . . . The main idea in all of biology is evolution. To not teach it to our young people is wrong."
— Bill Nye, the Science Guy

Russell Courtenay

A good substitute is rattle can Rustoleum. Spray a bit in the cap for detail painting with a brush. Being as you are not over-spraying, a single can of paint seems to last a long time.

I’ve mainly used brown primer and white and they have worked well on my O scale plastic kits.

Russell Courtenay
July is national what month?

On Jul 7, 2019, at 6:36 PM, Kurt Youngmann <tgobbi@...> wrote:

My memory, always suspect at my age, is that he did have Floquil paints. They were definitely available back then and I’m quite certain that he had a large array in the workbench area just before entering the railroad room.

Kurt Youngmann

On Jul 7, 2019, at 5:08 PM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

Because he used a brush and did not have Floquil paints...

"Science is the key to our future, and if you don't believe in science, then you're holding everybody back. And it's fine if you as an adult want to run around pretending or claiming that you don't believe in evolution, but if we educate a generation of people who don't believe in science, that's a recipe for disaster. . . . The main idea in all of biology is evolution. To not teach it to our young people is wrong."
— Bill Nye, the Science Guy

Loren Martell

What does this have to do with GD?

loren martell
Aloha, OR 97007

Loren Martell

Not the paint & brush part, but the
“ science “ theory postulated?

loren martell
Aloha, OR 97007

Wow ... ask and thou shall receive. Thanks gang for saving me a lot of digging as I was under that train of thought when I painted this engine. I think what I did was substitute grey for white though. Trying to remember the mix so I can paint the cab & tender alike. Since then all my loco's have had custom mix paint jobs all varying around that basic formula it's just that I couldn't remember the original...... must be going senile!

Ya Tom that's what I do too one drop here three drops there. I guess I'm a rarity as I only use a brush and water based artists paints ever since Floquil went away.. .

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Kurt,  To back up your memory....here's a great shot of John actually using Floquil Paints.     I love it..  those paints were made right up the road from me.  I used to go to the factory and buy seconds when I was young... bad labels or dented tops etc.   Ya could get them cheap.

http://www.gdlines.org/GDLines/GD_Galleries/Rolling_Stock/slides/paintingwheels.html

Bruce Wilson

In the second part of the series in the January 1956 issue of MR John wrote in the body that he used a mixture of Floquil Black mixed with white and a touch of brown to get a warm gray..  The caption to a photo of a loco says black, white and a touch of boxcar read.

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Life Member    NMRA
Member    Scale 7 Group    Gauge 0 Guild  7mmNGA
Member Bird Studies Canada   Ontario Bird Banding Association
Nature Barrie      Simcoe County Banding Group
On 7/8/2019 12:21, Randy Lee Decker wrote:

Kurt,  To back up your memory....here's a great shot of John actually using Floquil Paints.     I love it..  those paints were made right up the road from me.  I used to go to the factory and buy seconds when I was young... bad labels or dented tops etc.   Ya could get them cheap.

http://www.gdlines.org/GDLines/GD_Galleries/Rolling_Stock/slides/paintingwheels.html

_.

Kurt Youngmann

Good! It’s always reassuring to discover that my memory still works, at least occasionally.

The tank car in the photo is obviously a Varney - no surprise since John was their spokesperson for a number of years. I had 2 of those cars when I still had my SKP Lines; both have found a new home on my friend Art’s layout since I dismantled mine. I'm pretty sure they didn’t represent a specific prototype car but they had great proportions and looked like they could have existed. If any of you who model HO ever find one at a flea market, it’s worth buying if it fits your era.

Which reminds me of an anecdote about “the whistling tank car” when I still had my railroad. (I may have told this one before, but here it is again just in case):

Tuesday was work day on the SKP. Art came over every week and occasionally another friend, Jim, joined us. Jim isn’t a model railroader but he showed up for a bit of helping out. One day we powered up the railroad and were greeted by a dead short. It was driving us nuts trying to find it. We walked all around several times (it was a big layout, about 30’ X 35’, three times around the basement with more than 700 freight and 100 passenger cars. We couldn’t find the source of the short and were using a lot of words our mommies had told us never to say (which is OK because John used them all the time)! Finally, Jim, at the far end from where Art & I were standing and cussing, piped up, “Is this tank car supposed to be whistling?” We walked over and, sure enough, an Athearn 3-dome Texaco tank car (the first car I had ever purchased) was making a shrill sound. Ad soon as we lifted it off the track, the power went on.

So, what had happened, you may be wondering? I’ll tell you: STUPID happened!!! I had been upgrading to all-metal, free-rolling wheel sets and I had forgotten to check for metal trucks. Of course I had unwittingly reversed an axle and shorted it out. That truck was hot! At least I learned a lesson: never (as in NEVER!!!) put something on the track without checking immediately to see if there’s anything wrong.

And, yes, I do miss my layout but I got to an age where it became impossible to maintain. I still operate on a few other railroads, including Art’s transition era B & O.

Kurt Youngmann

On Jul 8, 2019, at 11:21 AM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

Kurt,  To back up your memory....here's a great shot of John actually using Floquil Paints.     I love it..  those paints were made right up the road from me.  I used to go to the factory and buy seconds when I was young... bad labels or dented tops etc.   Ya could get them cheap.

“It is best to read the weather forecast before praying for rain.” - Mark Twain

Russell Courtenay

Great story Kurt!

Are there photos of you former layout around on the web? I’d love to see it.

Russell Courtenay
July is national WHAT month?
tinyurl.com/julybeans

On Jul 8, 2019, at 2:12 PM, Kurt Youngmann <tgobbi@...> wrote:

[...]

Alas, no. We never got to the point of adding any scenery so no photos. We did have ops sessions, though, requiring about 15 operators.

I have to attribute all the credit to Art. I’m not much of a builder (understatement!) and I was lucky to find him. He did most of the building and electrical work. Without him there would have been no SKP. We remained very good friends.

My original intent was to model a fictitious fully-owned subsidiary of the CNW that went from Skokie, IL to Northern Wisconsin. I grew up very close to the CNW Milwaukee division on Chicago’s North Side and was always fascinated by the trains -  especially steam locomotives which ran until the spring of 1956. Until that time all the commuter trains were still headed by various class E 4-6-2s. Figuring I’d never have as much space as I ultimately wound up with, I decided to model the 1920s with shorter equipment which would give me the chance to run more cars per train. (36’ freight cars were the norm and, fortunately Roundhouse / MDC had a huge catalog of them). It turned out that I had unwittingly pretty much modeled the Chicago, St. Paul Minneapolis & Omaha (CMO) which actually was a fully-owned CNW subsidiary (incorporated into the parent road in the late 50s). At the time I started building I lived in Skokie, IL which was on a CNW branch. SPK stood for “Skokie Pokey Lines” - don’t ask! Even though I had gone to summer camp in Hayward, WI, which was on the CMO, I never knew that it existed as a separate entity. Spooner, just south of Hayward, was the center of my road. Spooner was the stop just before Hayward and was a major junction and, I believe, division point. We rode in 3 old leased Pullman cars that were added to a regularly scheduled train out of Chicago’s CNW station. It was double-headed by a pair of Pacifics. (As much as I’ve tried to figure out exactly what train it was, I’ve been unsuccessful. Originally I thought it might have been the Duluth-Superior Limited but the schedule doesn’t match). My layout had Chicago staging at one end and Minneapolis staging at the other, with other staging areas in between. Hayward was the last town before Minneapolis staging.

If I had it to do all over again (given youth, building skills, money and space and, of course, Art) I’d have intentionally built the Omaha in the earliest post-steam era. There are several reasons for this, mostly because diesel locos are much easier to maintain and have greater pulling capacity than steam. Steam was, and still is, king for me but I developed a late-in-life sense of logic and proportion.

Kurt (older and wiser) Youngmann

On Jul 8, 2019, at 3:29 PM, Russell Courtenay via Groups.Io <walruswebtech@...> wrote:

Are there photos of you former layout around on the web? I’d love to see it.

“Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.” - George Carlin

Russell Courtenay

Thanks for the overview Kurt,

I haven’t really considered myself old, though I stopped at Taco Bell for a snack a couple months ago and the girl asked kindly, ‘sir, do you get a senior discount?’, I thought a second and said, ‘why, yes I do, thank you!’

But it seems every time I get hurt or sick, I recover a little bit slower and feel a little bit older and less able to do things afterward, I guess what I have to look forward to is more-of-same...

I do O scale but haven’t gotten a layout to the scenery stage in many years. I have plans though, even have almost enough materials to start on a loop in my 12x18’ barn to make use of 2 started sections of my proposed 7-section layout! It will include a narrowed version of the original G&D, if plans proceed!

Russell Courtenay
July is national what month?