Topics

Pacific & Western - Serves You Right

Galen Gallimore

Anybody else notice the 'Pacific & Western' box car with the slogan 'Serves You Right' in various photos of the G&D?  Seems to be in version 2 and the final railroad.  Does anyone have any information about this car or the railroad for which it is lettered?

The January 1946 MR mentions the new home of the Pacific & Western railroad as a 16' x 34' building behind Bill Webb's home in Lynwood, CA, and asks if there is any interest in starting a club.

Then in March of 1948 the Pacific & Western Lines became an official club, with Bill Webb as secretary of the 'Carlynwood Model Railroad Club'.  The President was Bob White and the Superintendent Tom Beresford with openings for five members.

More information and details about the club and its railroad appeared in November 1948.  An additional search for 'Carlynwood' yielded several more mentions of the club and its details, but nothing to connect it to JA or the G&D.  An article in November 1952 by Joseph F. Maguire M.D. provided a tenative link, as he was acquainted with Bill Webb and also visited the G&D.  Seems the Carlynwood club were well into the NMRA so there's that, I suppose.

Are any of these names mentioned above to be found in any correspondence with John Allen?  Could some of them be the folks pictured in the unknown group driving a nail into the roadbed with a large mallet on the expanded first G&D? 

Thanks in advance for any information.

Galen Gallimore

Russell Courtenay

I like that one!

My railroad is the Snails Pace Railroad- Narrow Gauge to Nowhere or Shortline Through the Sticks

Maybe I should adopt ‘Serves You Right’ for the standard gauge division....

Russell Courtenay
Solemnity and profundity are sublime in inequity. 

On Sep 6, 2019, at 9:18 PM, Galen Gallimore <ggallimore@...> wrote:

Anybody else notice the 'Pacific & Western' box car with the slogan 'Serves You Right' in various photos of the G&D?  Seems to be in version 2 and the final railroad.  Does anyone have any information about this car or the railroad for which it is lettered?

The January 1946 MR mentions the new home of the Pacific & Western railroad as a 16' x 34' building behind Bill Webb's home in Lynwood, CA, and asks if there is any interest in starting a club.

Then in March of 1948 the Pacific & Western Lines became an official club, with Bill Webb as secretary of the 'Carlynwood Model Railroad Club'.  The President was Bob White and the Superintendent Tom Beresford with openings for five members.

More information and details about the club and its railroad appeared in November 1948.  An additional search for 'Carlynwood' yielded several more mentions of the club and its details, but nothing to connect it to JA or the G&D.  An article in November 1952 by Joseph F. Maguire M.D. provided a tenative link, as he was acquainted with Bill Webb and also visited the G&D.  Seems the Carlynwood club were well into the NMRA so there's that, I suppose.

Are any of these names mentioned above to be found in any correspondence with John Allen?  Could some of them be the folks pictured in the unknown group driving a nail into the roadbed with a large mallet on the expanded first G&D? 

Thanks in advance for any information.

Galen Gallimore