Topics

OTHER FILM also exists

Jennifer Crock

There is footage that non of you have ever seen. One of the occasional operators on the GD was my husband's father, Keith Crock. One evening he brought an 8mm camera to an op session to take some film, with John's blessing of course. Unfortunately, he failed to bring fresh rolls with him, and discovered that the film actually in the camera had largely been consumed with family subject matter. There was only a very short length of film available to expose, and so only a very brief scene was recorded, ending in the usual 'end of reel' light flashing. I have seen the film, about 20 years ago, and was SO disappointed that it was so poor and so short, but it was at least something. The plan was to return soon with more film, but as often happens with the best of intentions, it never happened. Keith passed away suddenly.   On a side note, Keith's ashes were scattered at the site of the burned bridge at the Roaring Camp and Big Trees. He was an active member there and also an official holder of Stock in the operation.

Jennifer Crock

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Jennifer,

Do you still have the 8mm film? If so, it could be transferred to DVD or flash drive. Even that short snippet would be something I think all of us would like to see. You could also preserve the family portions.

About what year would have that been? Thanks for sharing your story.

I'd bet there are some other home films done on 8MM out there.    Sadly so many of these things are lost or simply thrown out by the next generation that does not know who John Allen was nor, often seems, to care much for historic preservation.

I know I had asked in the past about this film but I do not remember if it was lost or for whatever reason we have not seen this footage.  But I can say without question we'd all love to see it no matter how short or lacking in quality Jennifer.  It would be a rare find indeed in any condition.    And so much fun to see.  I know I would also be thrilled to see some of the guys running trains, or imagine someone finds a film of John and crew playing the switching game upstairs in someones closet someday...!

 Those hopes of finding more of what there is to tell his story....they are the things that keep me asking those who knew John about anyone they can remember who was there and searching still even 50 years later.   And why I still hope that one of Johns operators and a man who calls John a friend still today will allow us to see the amazing and "excellent" very rare photos that he took during John's very last days (perhaps the only ever taken) while John was reportedly very tired and lacking in enthusiasm and the typical friendly vigor.

 John's story is an amazing tale of talent and triumph and terrible loss, so close to the ceremonial "last spike" ceremony he had planned.    It is NOT wrong to ask and expect that those who knew John would (and in almost every case accept one) share what they may have for their friend to help tell his fascinating story.

So I wish you well in finding this footage.  Perhaps we will all see it on Jeff's pages with a nice write up about Keith to go with it....   it would be the only other film of the G&D to ever manage to be shared in the light of day.   Fingers crossed.

Randy

Jennifer Crock

We still have the film. It is part of several dozen reels of my husbands childhood and teen years family movies. We no longer have a working projector, but have recently obtained a viewer....In the coming months the viewer will restored and the process of cataloging the film will begin. When the film is re-located, we can make arrangements for its loan for the purpose of having the short G&D portion digitized and shared with interested parties. My husband visited the G&D several times in his teen years, tagging along with his father. He tells me John also had snakes, and that for many years he kept a shed-off snake skin from one of John.s snakes, but that it eventually disintegrated to powder and he tossed it away.  Mike does not remember the year, but it would likely have been during the period of 1966 to about 1970.

Jennifer

On 3/28/20 8:51 AM, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) wrote:
Jennifer,

Do you still have the 8mm film? If so, it could be transferred to DVD or flash drive. Even that short snippet would be something I think all of us would like to see. You could also preserve the family portions.

About what year would have that been? Thanks for sharing your story.

Fantastic Jennifer.....   !  I would say when you are ready Jeff Witt is the man to contact and if you write up a nice tie in about Keith to explain the film and his model railroading interests that would make a nice fun addition to the GDLines pages to click on and the movie to watch.......
   This 8mm film may very well be the only other movie footage that survives.   I am sure others were taken.... but like so many great things... they do not survive the next generations lack of interest.  I am sure Jeff will be in contact, and if you want many of us can give you his info anytime.

Fingers crossed that other wonderful images will be shared to celebrate John Allen and his life and his passion.

Randy