Topics

Original Drawing Size.

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Since we all are adults here (I think) and we know the famous conceptual drawing in Linns book did survive the fire and was in the possession of Linn Westcott  er; (Big K) in at least 1980.  I think we all know that image must be somewhere and in a frame, I hope, and not in the sun, I hope, and on acid free paper and behind UV glass, I hope... And with some plan for its future,  I hope.

I want to make a copy of it... a good one.   If I had the space here I'd do it as a mural and I might have a space.  And In case anyone does not understand my intentions or my desire to see this drawing or obtain a decent copy, let me make very clear that I would be ecstatic to just find out this drawing survives today...!   I would feel the same way about the many other things in Linn's book we know also survived the fire.   It may be the most priceless item from John Allen in my eyes and just knowing it has a home and will be sent on to others or find its way to a museum would be great.   We do know it was not just tossed out. People cherished JA memorabilia even before he passed on.  So I have hope that this great drawing is just fine and intact.

With that said.  Can anyone tell me, at least, what SIZE this unwrapped drawing was on page 6 and 7 ?   I will assume John must have had it out at one time or another where some of you guy's who were operators had a look at it.    Was it upstairs?  Is the sepia coloring correct.

randyleedecker@...

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Thought since I was talking about preservation and the future disposition of model railroading historic memorabilia, I'd include this official brief on the new NMRA Museum Space.  I am sure some of us have not seen this.

https://www.nmra.org/magic-scale-model-railroading-gallery

Randy

Ken Plumbly

Glad to see a portion of the St Claire Northern was preserved, Irv Schultz and John Allen were my two main
inspirations. I tried when I was a teen to replicate the coal dock on Irv's layout...

Ken

On Fri, 2019-07-12 at 17:45 -0700, Randy Lee Decker wrote:
Thought since I was talking about preservation and the future disposition of model railroading historic memorabilia, I'd include this official brief on the new NMRA Museum Space.  I am sure some of us have not seen this.

https://www.nmra.org/magic-scale-model-railroading-gallery

Are there no friends of Johns, and/or operators or visitors who ever saw the expanded conceptual drawing of the G&D (on pages 6&7) in John's home?    No one left who can verify the actual size of this drawing...

Randy

Don Mitchell <donm@...>

FWIW, I never saw the original drawing; only the view of it published by Kalmbach.  The best person to ask would probably be Bob Hayden.

Don M.

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Well thanks for the note Don...   Amazing how many operators also never saw this drawing...
  I did already speak with Bob and several other friends of Johns and LInns....   They all tell me nothing was in the box..  LOL

Randy

David

Hi randy,

I have to agree with you about the box.  I am not much into conspiracies but it would be very easy for some of the parties involved (especially Model Railroader) to just snap a picture/short video of the box being opened and showing the contents.  If there are just hand written notes from Linn Wescott and such, then that would probably settle the issue.  But, if there were any historical objects or hand written notes from John then that should be of interest and worth preserving in a better format.  This is simple and not really a major expense.  My 2 cents.

David (Dry Gulch & Western)

On Friday, July 19, 2019, 11:13:40 AM PDT, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

OK....   Perhaps this drawing was never done by John.    It is a logical theory given the information I am given by those who supposedly "KNOW" ....
   IN my research to find other items and get copies...  (JUST COPIES)    Any of the people I have spoken with who knew John or especially Linn....  never saw one thing from Linn Westcotts pile of papers notes drawings and photos used to print the book.  Don't know anything about its disposition for the 40 or so years between then and now and so I will draw my own conclusions...   I also must say.... It is sad to find the earlier generation (many I have spoken with now) are so angry with anyone who even broaches this subject, they lash out and close threads or have cranky angry answers.   It's just a fact and this IS JOHN ALLEN HISTORY right now.. this phenomenon I have encountered from this group of older fans of Johns is very real.

 So I say  OK...   I am good with it.... let's go with what our knowledgeable elders say about this topic.  We know Linn had the items he used and probably many more that he never used in his book...  but we are supposed to believe NO ONE has them...    No one ever even saw these items.  So sadly we have to believe that John Allen's items (given by Andrew Allen to Linn for his Book about John)  .... (perhaps the most collectable model railroad memorabilia known to man) items that were considered holy grail collectibles even before John's death.... Held No INTEREST to any of the Guys who were friends of Linns and some with John... and worked with him and authored articles or books.   And that these items all just must have been thrown out.     I am told to accept this and be quiet.    They are not in the Box now.  Anyone can figure that much, it's a given.   Accept it or have your thread shutdown.    Nice...   This is the people in charge of John's legacy by simply answering questions they seem to not even want to bother with much anymore.  Only a few guys left like Don who still care.

This is the logic these men want my generation to accept.  This is the history of the 45 years since Johns passing....?  This is the 800 lb gorilla in the room and always will be.... if this is the story we are all still forced to accept.    We'll OK.....!   I accept it.   I also say I can also have a theory just as unrealistic, childish and logic insultive  as well.    I say None of the items were drawn by John..  I think Linn made them up... the moon over Great Divide the Expanded Conceptual drawing... everything.

Or they were thrown out.  Take your pick... It must be one or the other.   Makes sense right...  because who would ever want garbage like hand drawings from John Allen...? really...  don't be silly Randy, eat the story and smile....  or we'll bansih you.  I am Past Caring Kids.....Show your True Selves.   Shut me down.. no one who is guilty wants to see the truth in writing.   So far only a few of Johns so called Friends are decent people...  The rest, are selfish and do not have the same spirit of generosity and friendship John would have wanted to have seen in them when it comes to HIS STORY...  this is JOHNS STORY  not yours...  !     Sadly I could care less about the items and who has them.  I just want to see good copies are made and shared....  Not some crappy camera shot from 4 feet away low resolution out of focus... A real scan.. are real good camera shot with good lighting... these drawings and photographs and documents are FOR JOHNS story... as much as any of us..!

Thank the Gods that Keith Trinity was the new owner of John's home.  Sorry Keith I am sure you don't want to see your name in here... but it is the truth...   Not one of the people who have any of the items that are now on dark walls and kept like some selfish prize would have ever done with Keith did and what Peter Prunka did and Jeff and Warner and Pat and so many of the guys who really do care about Johns story.    They shared his life and his legacy they do not HIDE it from the world.  Many should be ashamed today if they have these things.....   No one is asking you give away your treasures.  I AM ASKING THAT YOU simply take things out of frames and MAKE good copies...   Don't do it for me..   Do it so Johns story will not be lost to a fire or a death or to some auction on eBAy and end up in some other persons home that DOES NOT SHARE THINGS...!    Grow UP.....  Wake UP...  Time has gone by us all none of us are young anymore.  the time is not far off that what is saved now is there will ever be.

Hoarding John Allen's treasures makes no sense to me.   That is the worst way to treat any of his things.  The guy deserves his life be celebrated not sold or hidden away.  If it's money that is the goal  then sell the things so at least someone might stand a chance of buying them and sharing a photo of them.  Or etc.  Sitting on someone's office or den or railroad room wall is nice if your a fan but its not doing much for John.

How'd I do... ?  let the hammer fall if it must.  I have not singled out anyone I am speaking the truth of my research now for the past few years... I am talking directly about John Allen and his story and this is a big part of it and must be said.  Somethings need to shake lose and se the light of day and not saying anything is getting nowhere real fast....

Randy
randyleedecker@...

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Hey Dave...   Well yes... but that is not really my point .... It does not have much at all to do with what is in the box NOW.    And everything to do with what we all KNOW Linn had because he used these items to print his book....I'd bet many other items that did not make it to the book as well.   Good copies of things would be in order for any Actual John Allen fan or someone who respects John and his story.

No one today would give a damn about ownership or who got what from Linn or when?  really....  some 50 years on this is not even a conversation worth having  but I personally would be very interested to just KNOW that they exist, (to stop insulting logic with denials would be welcomed also) that the items are safe...are cared for and will be given a good home in the future.  Now a COPY....   Well YEAH...!   Only a complete miserable NUT would find it offensive that someone like me, would want a copy of any of these items.
     I'd want one and I'd ask that a good high res scan is sent to Jeff for the most honorable and worthwhile display of John Allen history there is.  Hoarding things on a dark wall only to be seen by a rare few seems a bit selfish to me.  Taking one of these old treasures out of a frame and making a simple SCAN is not going to kill anyone is it?  Is there some secret sworn in blood that is binding this generation....?  Really... I don't get it.    I hope someone does the right thing and just lets us see these things.   Ya got to be out of your mind if you think the Expanded Conceptual Drawing from John Allen was thrown out....  Please.

randyleedecker@...

Randy

Ken Dodge

Worst Case Scenario - which I SINCERELY hope didn't happen: One day someone told a minimum wage, temp custodian, who didn't know a model train from a hula hoop, to "get rid of the junk in this room." He looked around, saw The Box, and thought, "There's a box of junk if I ever saw one."

Rick Jones

On 7/19/2019 8:53 PM, Ken Dodge wrote:
Worst Case Scenario - which I SINCERELY hope didn't happen: One day someone told a minimum wage, temp custodian, who didn't know a model train from a hula hoop, to "get rid of the junk in this room." He looked around, saw The Box, and thought, "There's a box of junk if I ever saw one."
Alternate hypothesis - Linn took this mythical Box home and put it on a shelf. After he passed away his wife or other family member tossed it out as they were disposing of his effects, not knowing there was anything there worth saving.

--

Rick Jones

Joan of Arc is alive and medium well.

Charles Kinzer

I believe there is only one solution to this consternation.

Somebody needs to generate a “The Box” full of credible looking John Allen artifacts and ephemera.  It will be important to make it realistic by aging everything.  Also perhaps throw in a few correct period dogeared vintage NMRA bulletins and such.  To be really ambitious, create a believable unpublished article draft typed on an old portable typewriter – wow – what a find that will be!  Take a look at some of his handwritten items at gdlines.org and forge a few notes here and there.  Make sure the box itself is also beat up, dirty, and crudely has something like “G&D stuff” written on it as well as the word “SAVE”.  If possible, use an already old box from the time frame so that an FBI forensics team won’t catch on.

Then, “discover it”.  And perhaps create a story to add some drama (recall “The Satchel” if you need a hint).

I learned there is power in writing the word “SAVE” on a box.  One such box was on the main production floor of a company where I worked.  The entire time nobody even considered getting rid of it.  Putting on my Mad Magazine thinking cap, I envision company after company moving in and out of the building and the box always remains safely there.  And then the building get obsolete, is demolished, and the box is STILL there in the middle of an empty lot.

> Worst Case Scenario - which I SINCERELY hope didn't happen: One day

> someone told a minimum wage, temp custodian, who didn't know a model

> train from a hula hoop, to "get rid of the junk in this room." He looked

> around, saw The Box, and thought, "There's a box of junk if I ever saw

> one."

    Alternate hypothesis - Linn took this mythical Box home and put it

on a shelf. After he passed away his wife or other family member tossed

it out as they were disposing of his effects, not knowing there was

anything there worth saving.

--

                   Rick Jones

Joan of Arc is alive and medium well.

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Ken  its funny but that was my original worry...  but make no mistake...and don;t worry a minute about it.... from the many people I have spoken with at great length now, those items from Johns place never even made it to Andy Speradeos possession.   We also know they did not get thrown out.   But when the "people who know" tell us there is noting in the box from Linn Westcott that has any tie to John they are completely correct.      Not even a scrap is left from John's hand.    Anyone who has anything have done John Allen a great service as they were NOT LOST...  (that would have been the true CRIME) It is my hope they are cared for and preserved on acid free paper and behind UV protected glass.  And that they will see the light of day and be shared with all of us eventually.
       That would be the best part of the story.

Randy

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 9:53 PM Ken Dodge <k.dodge@...> wrote:
Worst Case Scenario - which I SINCERELY hope didn't happen: One day someone told a minimum wage, temp custodian, who didn't know a model train from a hula hoop, to "get rid of the junk in this room." He looked around, saw The Box, and thought, "There's a box of junk if I ever saw one."

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Rick.... did you say Mythical...   No sir.. it is at Big K now.  But void of any of the treasure it once contained.

Randy

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 10:50 PM Rick Jones <r.t.jones@...> wrote:
On 7/19/2019 8:53 PM, Ken Dodge wrote:
> Worst Case Scenario - which I SINCERELY hope didn't happen: One day
> someone told a minimum wage, temp custodian, who didn't know a model
> train from a hula hoop, to "get rid of the junk in this room." He looked
> around, saw The Box, and thought, "There's a box of junk if I ever saw
> one."

    Alternate hypothesis - Linn took this mythical Box home and put it
on a shelf. After he passed away his wife or other family member tossed
it out as they were disposing of his effects, not knowing there was
anything there worth saving.

--

                   Rick Jones

Joan of Arc is alive and medium well.

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Interesting Chuck....   hit a nerve...?    Perhaps Gollum and all like him will be exposed one day..  That is another scenario

Randy

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 11:12 PM Charles Kinzer <ckinzer@...> wrote:

I believe there is only one solution to this consternation.

Somebody needs to generate a “The Box” full of credible looking John Allen artifacts and ephemera.  It will be important to make it realistic by aging everything.  Also perhaps throw in a few correct period dogeared vintage NMRA bulletins and such.  To be really ambitious, create a believable unpublished article draft typed on an old portable typewriter – wow – what a find that will be!  Take a look at some of his handwritten items at gdlines.org and forge a few notes here and there.  Make sure the box itself is also beat up, dirty, and crudely has something like “G&D stuff” written on it as well as the word “SAVE”.  If possible, use an already old box from the time frame so that an FBI forensics team won’t catch on.

Then, “discover it”.  And perhaps create a story to add some drama (recall “The Satchel” if you need a hint).

I learned there is power in writing the word “SAVE” on a box.  One such box was on the main production floor of a company where I worked.  The entire time nobody even considered getting rid of it.  Putting on my Mad Magazine thinking cap, I envision company after company moving in and out of the building and the box always remains safely there.  And then the building get obsolete, is demolished, and the box is STILL there in the middle of an empty lot.

> Worst Case Scenario - which I SINCERELY hope didn't happen: One day

> someone told a minimum wage, temp custodian, who didn't know a model

> train from a hula hoop, to "get rid of the junk in this room." He looked

> around, saw The Box, and thought, "There's a box of junk if I ever saw

> one."

    Alternate hypothesis - Linn took this mythical Box home and put it

on a shelf. After he passed away his wife or other family member tossed

it out as they were disposing of his effects, not knowing there was

anything there worth saving.

--

                   Rick Jones

Joan of Arc is alive and medium well.

David Woodrell

Hi, Randy,

First of all, let me say that I personally know zip about the conceptual drawing of the GD, other than it is depicted, as you said, on pages 6 & 7 in "The Book" (at least that is where it is in Hayden's reprint - my original copy is long disintegrated and gone!).  I at first thought you were talking about the overall schematic drawing of the final layout on pages 84-85 and couldn't imagine what all the fuss was about.  But, this morning my curiosity got the best of me, so I turned to page 6 and took a closer look at it and, so - voila,!!!  I now understand your interest.

I think it would be useful to list what we know about the drawing (like I said, I know nothing, other than it IS in the book). A number of questions (and one observation) come to mind:
1) Is it an original by John, or did Linn draw it (or have it drawn by a Kalmbach artist to demonstrate the overall operational scheme)?
2) When was it drawn?
3) Do we have evidence that it still exists?  Why would it?
4) If it IS a JA original why did he draw it? It's actually a pretty detailed representation of his imaginary system so I don't think he drew it on a napkin while his operators played with the "Timesaver!  Do any of the remaining operators have a recollection of seeing it displayed anywhere in his house?  Was it just a large doodle he did to show visitors what his layout was all about?
5) Did he have any other layout diagrams displayed in the house or down in the layout room?
6) Have you approached Bob Hayden about any info on the drawing that he might have come across when he was republishing the original?

I'm sure there are other pertinent questions that it would be nice to know the answers to, but my second morning cup of coffee is empty, signaling it's time to be about (in the spirit of Sherlock Holmes).  But, first - my observation:

I had never really looked that closely at the drawing before, but I did this morning.  And, while perusing I spied something that may lend some info to the speculation surrounding  "The Great Missing Devil's Gulch Bridge Mystery".  Look closely at the depiction of the bridge by the artist (whoever he was).  If this WAS John Allen's work I would say that at least at the time of this drawing's rendering he was thinking in terms of an almost mirror image of the Scalp Mountain Arch span (adjusted for length, of course) from SM to Angels Camp.  To me, that makes so much more sense than the suspension bridge suggestion, that has always seemed a bit goofy to me - wouldn't such a structure completely overwhelm the entirety of the mountain scenery?  On the other hand, maybe it WASN'T John who did the rendering and that whoever did just made the bridge design up!  I doubt we'll ever know.

Well, enough Saturday meandering - off to "honey-dos"!

Dave

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Yep...  Bridge drawings and all...

 Someone who was friends with Linn westcott and had some high standing in the group of authors involved in this story during that time has this drawing. No Linn did not draw it.  I only said that to be sarcastic..
   All the discussions aside.   We know it exists.... no one threw it out.

 #1... it needs to be mounted on acid free board and matt... behind UV protected glass
 #2 it should be digitally copied and on film for history's sake.
 #3 this is a centerpiece of John Allen's story... ( it would be to me)  Perhaps the most prized possession any John Allen fan could ever have.  I could care less WHO has it.. or HOW... just the fact of KNOWING it survives is huge.. These things are part of Johns story.... After fifty years of people making money off his name is asking that some of these items once in Linns possession have a good copy made for history's sake and to also send it along to the GDLines site...?

Is my request for preservation and sharing a copy somehow the wrong thing to do?  I have been laughed at, have been met with outright rude angry notes when I speak of these things.  I say the people who have these things are not friends in any way to John Allen.   News Flash.... No one gives tiny crap how anyone got these things or when, we all know already.   I only ask that you please stop hiding them in the dark.  TIme to just do the right thing and post a copy.  No one is asking anyone to give away their treasures.  But keeping them hidden does not HONOR JOHN nor the spirit of how he lived his life. No value will be lost in a digital copy.

As for specific people I have contacted, I'd rather not speak about who or how those conversations went.  I can remain private about many things but it is hard to stomach such selfish, miserable, greed but that is life.    Some people have honor others not so much.
   I am only glad some very good people ended up with some of John's things and have shared their own.  Imagine If the photos found in Johns home after the fire and the sale were in the hands that ended up with the photos Linn used to publish his book, we'd all have to buy more books to see them. No high resolution copies to enlarge and look around at. close up...   for some, John is a story to bring to light...  To share and revel in...!    for others John is a money making machine even in death,his items a collectors dream and sharing is a sin.

 That is just the simple truth of it.     That is the truth of John Allen's story in 2019....
 We all are in one camp or the other.
 The GDline web page from Peter and maintained by Jeff and created by so many good people is a testament to all that is right and captures the spirit of John Allen.

I am frankly surprised nerves were not hit here and the thread shut down...  I think this was good, some things needed saying here.  I hope changes in attitudes will come from discussions like this one day.  My God, everyone should help to tell his story , Not HIDE IT....... it is so incredible and so sad.

Randy

David

Dave-

I agree with your observation on the "missing" bridge. A suspension bridge would be cool but would defeat the surrounding mountain scenery. Secondly, the towers image might encroach in the corner mirror. I was thinking along the same line when I was looking at putting in my "missing" bridge. I settled on another type of arch span (SF Canyon Diablo bridge) to keep any of the bridge structure well below the corner mirror.

I think your questions being answered would be very valuable for an archival matter. These questions should be pursued and answers obtained. Perhaps something would turn up that could be shared with the group. Those little bits and pieces of history are pure gold.

David (Dry Gulch & Western)

On Saturday, July 20, 2019, 7:50:24 AM PDT, David Woodrell <dwoodrell@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave.
   This tidbit of information in the drawing  has been kicked around here for many years now.  Some of thee guys hashed al this out 15 years ago....For me its about 3 years gone now.   I will be using this drawing from John's hand as one of 2 pieces of perfect evidence and proof of his intent as far as his last bridge was concerned.   The other piece of proof is in some of the photographs of the tiny scale models that survived the fire...I have not seen the original it is in California with most of his things still.   He made several models of his layout some were early concepts and do not reflect his later design... but in one of them the two bridges (ALIKE) are there on each side of Scalp Mountain.....  Now  I am glad you just stumbled upon this yesterday it is fun to learn things in here.   To speculate how a suspension bridge was ever put into print is anyone's guess.   To also consider, (contained in the pile of evidence I have for my efforts to remake his layout) is the practical fact that Johns ceiling height would not have allowed a suspension bridge or even a steel arch that cantilevered above the track in anyway to be built and have it easily photographed or any valence and lighting hidden above.  So yes... a longer, but identically designed bridge is the answer here.

This topic was the main focus of my search a few years ago when I was new to the John Allen story.    I have done so much research and spoken to so many people since then, from Johns time, who know him and knew many of his friends and authors he worked with and the stores of his travels to shows and his ability to impress with his intellect and wit on many subjects or his ability to rub people the wrong way with his skill and ability to argue a point to perfection.  We all know how easily he could just create "blow your mind scenes" on his layout and with that truth, is also the fact that he could make some modelers (with rivalry driven egos) jealous with his incredible diverse set of talents perfectly suited for this medium.   He was a force to be reckoned with and a character of great hilarity and an energetic, spirited, presence that would not be ignored.

   It is hard to keep tally anymore of all the names and information in my head but I have them in my book and a small books worth of stories.   The effort has been enlightening and the story I have of John and the events after his death have been eye opening as well.

My one and only, true, desire is to see his story is told well.  This search for and conversations about old items, long since missing, is not a popular topic.  At this point I'd say who cares who has what or how or when ...  I say lets let them see the light of day...!   What could possibly be wrong with that...   That is the best way to tell John Allen's story...  This topic is above my paygrade... but it needs to be had sometime and it is very much the ACTUAL HISTORY of John Allen and his story in 2019.  One day, items on dark walls now, will be passed on to family and eventually these treasures will run out of interested inheritors.   They may see a museum then.   They may be misplaced or thrown out also..  Shame on the fools who do not see to it they are not copied NOW...   It is also a shame that our generation of fans can't see these items better now.  What reason could there possibly be to not allow good digital scans of things to come to the world.

This is John Allen's story not ours.   Right?

Randy

Don Mitchell <donm@...>

John's 3D models were donated to the San Diego Model RR Museum.  They were removed from display several years ago, but hopefully are still in the archives.

I took photos of them, but can't remember where the pix were posted.  You might want to try contacting the Museum before I have time to look for those photos.

Don M.

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Hey Don, yes I do remember seeing the photo. Did not know it was you who took the shots.     I mentioned this photo to Dave Woodrel as part of my answer concerning the evidence I have found over time now, to know John's intentions for his bridge that he never finished.   I don't remember where they were posted now either.     I think Tom Hokel sent me to them once, or sent them to me?   but not sure now.   regardless.....

What a WONDERFUL little thing.....  so glad to see it survived the mess and saw the light of day.  Several of them did.   Don do you know who donated them by any chance?   Just curious...

I have no need to contact the museum or bother you for these photos Don I was not asking for them.    Others might like them.  I will try and find them too.
I only ever needed to see the picture of the model that one time to solidify my choice to build his bridges the way he wanted and was secure in my choice.

 Those kinds of items tell John's story.  I wish I could get to CA to see these things but travel will not be on my agenda anytime soon.  My only hope of seeing any new photographs is through the sharing of collections and the ability to go to the GDLines.org and the fantastic LIGHT OF DAY experience that place is for Johns work.

Randy