Topics

Operations getting started

wchrysam@...

Can someone help me with an operations question?
i understand the concept of tab on car operation, but am wondering how the first session begins. Are the cars for a particular train simply assigned by the crew arbitrarily?
Ive runs few sessions on my little layout and once going, it seems to be a very enjoyable system, so am I simply overthinking it?
thanks to all
Walt

Bruce Wilson

Walt:

I just uploaded a file of an MR article that explains John's tab-on-car system including how to set up trains.  A notice will be sent to the group.

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Life Member    NMRA
Member    Scale 7 Group    Gauge 0 Guild  7mmNGA
Member Bird Studies Canada   Ontario Bird Banding Association
Nature Barrie      Simcoe County Banding Group
On 6/11/2020 10:53, wchrysam@... wrote:

Can someone help me with an operations question?
i understand the concept of tab on car operation, but am wondering how the first session begins. Are the cars for a particular train simply assigned by the crew arbitrarily?
Ive runs few sessions on my little layout and once going, it seems to be a very enjoyable system, so am I simply overthinking it?
thanks to all
Walt

Kurt Youngmann

Just for the record, I only saw the tab system used on one other railroad: Ed Ravenscroft’s Glencoe Skokie Valley lines. It was a predecessor of John’s but I don’t recall any details from my only visit. Nor were tabs yet in use on the G & D on those few visits I made in ’61.

After retiring from his executive position at Abbott Labs, Ed moved to the Phoenix area - some high-end gated community, where he had a separate building for the layout. A search <ed ravenscroft model railroader> shows that he originated the tack system in the mid-60s and that there was an MR article about it in July of ’65.

One of the many links on the above site is to this youtube video: <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2arI_62QrYI>

He was an interesting guy and MMR #7. I haven’t looked at the site in depth yet (there’s a lot of material there), but I believe he was one of the founders of the NMRA.

Kurt Youngmann

On Jun 11, 2020, at 9:53 AM, wchrysam@... wrote:

Can someone help me with an operations question?
i understand the concept of tab on car operation, but am wondering how the first session begins. Are the cars for a particular train simply assigned by the crew arbitrarily?
Ive runs few sessions on my little layout and once going, it seems to be a very enjoyable system, so am I simply overthinking it?
thanks to all
Walt

***

"As a leader, you have to have the ability to assimilate new information and understand that there might be a different view." -
Madeleine Albright, diplomat and author