Topics

operating speeds on the g & d - was 4-10-0 John Allen Tribute Locomotive

Kurt Youngmann

Just a quick word about train speeds on the G & D based on the handful of times I was there. Operating speeds were slow / prototypical. It was a mountain railroad!

I can’t recall any examples of anyone running a train too fast but I’ll wager that such an infraction would have incurred John’s wrath.

Kurt Youngmann

***

Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority. The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong. All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who have doubted the current moral values, not of men who have whooped them up and tried to enforce them. The truly civilized man is always skeptical and tolerant, in this field as in all others. His culture is based on "I am not too sure." -H.L. Mencken

mdmccaf

Kurt

Just a quick word about train speeds on the G & D based on the handful of times I was there. Operating speeds were slow / prototypical. It was a mountain railroad!

I can’t recall any examples of anyone running a train too fast but I’ll wager that such an infraction would have incurred John’s wrath.

Kurt Youngmann

***

Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority. The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong. All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who have doubted the current moral values, not of men who have whooped them up and tried to enforce them. The truly civilized man is always skeptical and tolerant, in this field as in all others. His culture is based on "I am not too sure." -H.L. Mencken

Ken Moordigian

I operated on the GandD March-May 1969.  Over speed would immediately incur wrath, and derision when that boobie trapped boxcar lit up!

John worked hard at getting smooth slow moving locos.  He didn't appreciate them being over speed.  He would most assuredly been enamored to see a dockside switcher and a 4-10-0 walking together at 1 smph.

Ken Moordigian

Ken Moordigian

Come to think of it, once the boxcar tripped, its red light shown across the room, and wouldn't go out until you picked the car off the track, removed the shell, and reset the steel bearing in the center of the car.  Putting the shell back on then rerailing the car was tricky since the steel ball was very willing to roll up and trip again.  And yes, if that car was in your consist, you had to spot it at its destination.

John would be one of the first to put a DCC decoder into a boxcar with lights and sound so he could enjoy my misery when that boxcar "exploded" with noise as well as flames and smoke halfway up the grade to Andrews!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

John Mills

Kurt:

I was never fortunate enough to visit John's layout, even though I spent 6 months in Monterey at Fort Old in 1970 - basic training and infantry school. It seemed logical that his operations would be consistent with the high quality of everything else he did in modeling. I still think of the G&D as one of the best model railroads that was ever conceived and built. I'm also familiar a bit with mountain railroading via the Pickering, Westside and Sierra. I worked for the latter and the maximum speed was on the Sierra's lower division (Oakdale to Jamestown) at just 30 mph. Once you hit the hills east of there it was 20 or less (3% grades and really sharp curves knocked the bottom out of the tonnage ratings of the engines).

Good to know John wanted his operators to operate as realistically as his railroad was!

John Mills

John Hutnick

Has anyone here built a replica 4-10-0?  If so, I would appreciate details of construction(not the youtube video) and photos.  I am not finding brass Friscos at economical prices, and the plastic one does not seem in keeping with the time.  I have had a suggestion of splicing 2 Mantua 0-6-0's, but that seems a struggle.

Russell Courtenay

I think persistence will win you deals on what you want. In the video he found a partial loco with a good chassis and a damaged loco with a good superstructure on brasstrains.com. I don’t see many damaged locos on BrassTrains so it probably took him a while.

I know in O scale patience is the only way to find anything at good prices, and visiting train show sales rooms (when they resume)....

On Aug 16, 2020, at 12:53 PM, John Hutnick <johnhutnick@...> wrote:

Has anyone here built a replica 4-10-0?  If so, I would appreciate details of construction(not the youtube video) and photos.  I am not finding brass Friscos at economical prices, and the plastic one does not seem in keeping with the time.  I have had a suggestion of splicing 2 Mantua 0-6-0's, but that seems a struggle.

Rick Jones

On 8/16/2020 2:04 PM, Russell Courtenay via groups.io wrote:
I think persistence will win you deals on what you want. In the video he found a partial loco with a good chassis and a damaged loco with a good superstructure on brasstrains.com <http://brasstrains.com>. I don’t see many damaged locos on BrassTrains so it probably took him a while.
You'll typically find the basket cases and damaged paint jobs under the Budget Brass link.

--

Rick Jones

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Charles Kinzer

It’s actually called “Bargain Brass” and the way to find it is to go to the BrassTrains page and make sure the “Classic Brass” tab at the top is selected.  Then under “Shop by department” click “Model Trains”.  One of the choices is “Bargain Brass”.  Click on that.

On 8/16/2020 2:04 PM, Russell Courtenay via groups.io wrote:

> I think persistence will win you deals on what you want. In the video he

> found a partial loco with a good chassis and a damaged loco with a good

> superstructure on brasstrains.com <http://brasstrains.com>. I don’t see

> many damaged locos on BrassTrains so it probably took him a while.

    You'll typically find the basket cases and damaged paint jobs under

the Budget Brass link.

--

                   Rick Jones

Tom Milam

John,

Not the correct place to ask but have no way to ask but here.
Interested in your time on the Sierra Railroad.
ncngrr@...

Tom Milam
And as many the G&D was the greatest railroad.

On Aug 16, 2020, at 12:53 PM, John Hutnick <johnhutnick@...> wrote:

Has anyone here built a replica 4-10-0?  If so, I would appreciate details of construction(not the youtube video) and photos.  I am not finding brass Friscos at economical prices, and the plastic one does not seem in keeping with the time.  I have had a suggestion of splicing 2 Mantua 0-6-0's, but that seems a struggle.

John Mills

Tom:

The late 1970's when Crocker was running the various excursions (Cannonball, Wine and Cheese Special, Twilight Limited and the Dinner Train. We had the #34 and the #28 running along with the S-12's. Steam only except on the Dinner trains when the consists would be too heavy for the #34 to handle up Canyon Tank grade. Her tires were in need of replacement as they were dished pretty badly.

The last year was 1979. Exciting times if you liked Steam and the Sierra. Glenn Bell also had the Westside running Shays around the "Park" he created up in Tuolumne near the old Mill pond.

John