Topics

O scale timesavers

Russell - Idaho USA <cottonwoodhobbies@...>

I am working on the design for an O-scale Timesaver and have three possibilities:

1. A straightforward upscaling: 10x60" becomes 18x108" in O scale.

2. Fit into a 36" radius curve to go above my desk hutch and onto a 63" shelf on one side (The photos on the front page of my website show this shelf) This plan might be a little big and imposing overhead and I don't know how well switching would work with a sharp curve in the middle of it....

3. A small folding industrial switching layout I originally designed for O scale narrow gauge (take your choice of width) of 18"x96" size. For standard gauge it should be increased to 24x108" at least. This one sounds like the most fun with some grades, industrial street trackage, a wharf line (the original connector between timesavers would serve as this) a hidden 'fiddle' track or yard and a bit of a mountain (logging) line on a steep switchback. It could also be fitted with loops at each end to allow some continuous running (actually, any of these could).

Of course I like #3 the best and I don't want to get myself started on two more layouts, but I've got a bunch of code 100 rail and ties and 22 code 108 Rivarossi curves (for the temp end loops) and really want to get my Weaver 2-8-0 some run time!

The problem, since it is not flat, is storage space. It could probably be taken apart in several sections no more than four feet long, two feet wide and about a foot high, but stack these up and you get a stack2x3x4'!, not going to fit under the tallest bed or sofa (even at 12 inches it is too tall). I think I will draw it up some more and then scout for possible storage spaces around the house....

Has anyone seen photos of O scale timesaver based plans? I have seen many others from N to G, but never O.

Any suggestions?

How fast can you who have tried it handlay track? Currently I am at three feet an hour but should be able to at least double that with practice. HOn3 switches used to take me an hour start to finish with the proper jigs, but I haven't laid one in a long time (20 years???)

Maybe I should just lay the track on boards in sections and set it up out in the yard!

Russell - Idaho USA
http://www.narrowgaugenews.net

---

MacMail - the Webmail service especially for Mac users worldwide
http://www.macmail.com