Topics

O scale decals

Timothy Rafeld

I am new to this groups and am looking for decals for an On3 layout G&D as well as Devils Gulch. Does anyone know of a source?
 Thanks 
Tim 

Jeffrey L Witt

This seller on Ebay always has a variety of decals in HO, perhaps some would be suitable for On3? Or perhaps he would scale them up for you?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Decals/165982/m.html?item=174284395605&hash=item289428d455%3Ag%3A6%7EYAAOSwlqhdJWCB&_ssn=elruddick 

Good luck,

Jeff

John Hutnick

I wrote to this seller to ask if they have any HO G&D steam loco decals, which they do not.

Timothy Rafeld

Thanks John I think I might try 2 sets they should be okay to use for On3

Dale Sproule

The NMRA Merchandise Centre has G&D  Decals in HO scale, do not know about O scale, call NMRA for clarification

From: GandD@groups.io [mailto:GandD@groups.io] On Behalf Of John Hutnick
Sent: May 29, 2020 8:39 AM
To: GandD@groups.io
Subject: Re: [GandD] O scale decals

I wrote to this seller to ask if they have any HO G&D steam loco decals, which they do not.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Bruce Wilson

NMRA is HO only

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Life Member    NMRA
Member    Scale 7 Group    Gauge 0 Guild  7mmNGA
Member Bird Studies Canada   Ontario Bird Banding Association
Nature Barrie      Simcoe County Banding Group
On 5/30/2020 1:58 AM, Dale Sproule wrote:

The NMRA Merchandise Centre has G&D  Decals in HO scale, do not know about O scale, call NMRA for clarification

From: GandD@groups.io [mailto:GandD@groups.io] On Behalf Of John Hutnick
Sent: May 29, 2020 8:39 AM
To: GandD@groups.io
Subject: Re: [GandD] O scale decals

Virus-free. www.avast.com

John Hutnick

I am not an NMRA member, so I cannot buy decals.

Russell Courtenay

They used to have a trial membership (6 months for $9.95), I see they don’t have that anymore...

https://www.nmrastores.com/Company_Store/product_info.php?cPath=63&products_id=229

Russell Courtenay
Solemnity and profundity are sublime in inequity. 

On May 30, 2020, at 10:03 AM, John Hutnick <johnhutnick@...> wrote:

I am not an NMRA member, so I cannot buy decals.

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Tim,

You could do what John did … use thin paper logos and dry transfer lettering. Since dry transfer lettering is a major challenge to keep the lettering straight, you could use water slide decals. Nevertheless, applying "GORRE & DAPHETID RAILROAD" will not be easy. (BTW, years ago in the 1980s? MR had a short article about applying dry transfer lettering. Jim Findley used them on his locos, too.

See Don Mitchell's photos on this site of some original GD logos he applied to a boxcar. Look in the Photos section.

Welcome to our group!
--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

The photo album is called "G&D cars."
--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

James Little

Another option is is to scan the HO decals into a jpg file, then using a word processing program,  program (I use MS Word) insert the picture into a text box with the background the main color of the  model you will put it on.  MS word will give the picture dimensions when changing tis size.  Once happy with your artwork, print it on white decal paper as computer printers are setup to print on white paper.  For white lettering,you then have the artwork on water slide decal paper.  Asmall touch up might be needed at the edges.

I've used this technique for a variety of lettering on models.

Jim Little, MMR

I agree, Jim. I should have mentioned decal paper.

I like Microscale clear and white paper. For large paper, I cut them in half and fill up the sheet. I use an HP color LaserJet on "Transparency" setting (regular might work, too) … forget ink printers. I have printed lots of decals. I spray them (per Microscale) with a thin coat of 50-50 Liquid Decal Film and lacquer thinner @ 30 psi. Cutting with a good pair of scissors, vs. Xacto knife on glass, seems to leave a smoother edge.

I like to use PowerPoint for all of my design work.
--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

Warner Swarner

Has any one inquired with Stan Cedarleaf at  www.cedarleafcustomdecals.com   if He could do custom G&D decal sets for Private use of individuals?  Stan does a great job on custom decals for large scale folk.  He is semi-retired but still active in doing decals.  He has done high quality custom decals for my G gauge Bearspaw Southern.  
Warner Swarner

On May 30, 2020, at 10:50 AM, James Little <jlittletrains@...> wrote:

Another option is is to scan the HO decals into a jpg file, then using a word processing program,  program (I use MS Word) insert the picture into a text box with the background the main color of the  model you will put it on.  MS word will give the picture dimensions when changing tis size.  Once happy with your artwork, print it on white decal paper as computer printers are setup to print on white paper.  For white lettering,you then have the artwork on water slide decal paper.  Asmall touch up might be needed at the edges.

I've used this technique for a variety of lettering on models.

Jim Little, MMR