Topics

NMRA Car - anybody know what this is?

Jeffrey L Witt

Was renewing my membership and had a look around the store.

Says it was added today...not the Bulline stock car? Not the G&D bobber caboose? NO PICTURE...

Will try to call tomorrow...

James Little

A few years ago, I got a 4 wheeled caboose at the National in Portland..
That's probably what it is as it says "bobber' in the description.   I think it was done by Bachmann.

Jim Little, MMR

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Hi Jim,

Yes, the NMRA "Bobbers" were made by Bachmann. I have both the GD #2 and GD #4 cars, which may have been the only two numbers they offered.

These two cars are shown in Michael Green's "NMRA Cars" album and in my "Pine Ridge RR" album with weathered GD #2 behind the Heisler.

Jeff, did you ever find out anything more from NMRA about their "new" cars?

Tom Milam

On the subject of the old NMRA Heritage cars as with the bobber and stock of the G&D.
The stock is close to the model on John’s railroad .
The earlier runs most of the cars did not match the railroads layout. I think if the NMRA could of found manufacturers who offered cars of the correct time period the line would have sold better and may have continued, as it was they stopped just as I had volunteered to help with the project many years ago .
I was looking forward to Irv Schultz’s Railroad , memory serves me the St. Claire Northern, getting old! A 1900’s Railroad with great scenery and buildings and a huge ore dock and my favorite truss rod cars. But when the car was released the model was a 50 foot steel box car! Nothing close to the railroad.
I called NMRA and asked why, I was put in touch with the chairman of the program and offered to work with him to  try to get the correct era cars on the following runs, be it able to find a manufacturer who had a similar model.
My choice for a car would have been the Troll and Elfin Railroad of Stan knots.
But the NMRA cancelled the program just a very short time later.
Thanks to Roundhouse for running their line on G&D and DG&H cars ( even if not narrow gauge they are welcomed)
 Tom Milam