Topics

New photos - is this a JA built car? Charlie Getz is looking for any info on this car...

Jeffrey L Witt

Ken Plumbly

If it's not J.A. built, at the very least it seems to be J.A. inspired, right down
to the cows.

Ken

On Mon, 2019-09-02 at 10:53 -0700, Jeffrey L Witt via Groups.Io wrote:
Photos here:

https://groups.io/g/GandD/album?id=94867

Jeff

Rick Jones

On 9/2/2019 3:44 PM, Ken Plumbly wrote:
If it's not J.A. built, at the very least it seems to be J.A. inspired, right down
to the cows.
The railroad name doesn't match anything by John Allen of which I am aware. And John used Baker couplers, not Grandt Line dummies.
Did he build any cars for friends? Did any of John's friends and operators have a C. R. Railway layout?

--

Rick Jones

If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the
trip.

David

I would check the brand marks on the cattle. If they have "JA" branded on them then John may have built the car! Looking at the car the roof doesn't quite look like some of the other "home-built" cars John made. Just adding my 3 cents, I had to add a penny for inflation...

David (Dry Gulch & Western)

On Monday, September 2, 2019, 2:05:27 PM PDT, Rick Jones <r.t.jones@...> wrote:

On 9/2/2019 3:44 PM, Ken Plumbly wrote:
> If it's not J.A. built, at the very least it seems to be J.A. inspired,
> right down
> to the cows.

    The railroad name doesn't match anything by John Allen of which I am
aware. And John used Baker couplers, not Grandt Line dummies.
    Did he build any cars for friends? Did any of John's friends and
operators have a C. R. Railway layout?

--

                  Rick Jones

If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the
trip.

I don't recognize it as one of his but as others have said it does appear to have been inspired by Johns work.

Murphy P

All of John's builds are planned or organically follow a prototype through a theme, this car does not. A proof of John's mentality is from page 51 of The BOOK. John took one of his best friends to task on a model Cliff Grandt loved. Through Johns interactions and the photos John provided to Cliff,  John's involvement  resulted in Cliff changing his model to be more realistic, like super detailing the Heisler compressor by making it out of 69 parts.

Yes John did fun loving things such as Emma, but even she was a metal model bought at a museum, Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry from what I recall Whit Towers saying. Whit said John would prank new people to the layout with Emma on the Sims Loop. Carefully following the train along the track when they go to look for the train coming out of the tunnel, SURPRISE its a dinosaur! There is Emma grazing near the tunnel. Whit thought the Stegosaurus was a  simple toy, but was shocked by the weight of the metal dinosaur.

How do I know this is not real? The simple north-south line of the build from the flat car deck up. If you ignore the top half of the model, it is built like a flat car. This confirmed by NONE of the structural wood bracing goes below the line of the flat car deck. If you look at the car this way, you can see the cattle car section of the superstructure is simply stacked on top of the flat car deck.

On page 57 of The BOOK, John even thoughtfully braced the beer for Ach-Bar Pete and Horace, so I would think he would bring the structural wood bracing all the way down to the frame of the car if John had built it.

I guess is this was built by one of the people who ran trains on John's layout and over time the builder's name dwindled in oral history, whiles John's name gained increasing importance over time, and thus becoming John's car in this new century.

Inspired, but not instigated by John.

Keep looking we will find new GD items!

Thank you again for everyone who makes this community happen, be it a member who reads the online posts to enjoy the GD as a rewarding outlet to relax or those who regularly post, everyone in their own way helps keep the GD alive and make this a great community, Murphy

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 5:38 AM Russ Desmond via Groups.Io <capdes101=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I don't recognize it as one of his but as others have said it does appear to have been inspired by Johns work.

Lee

Hmm, any thoughts that it could have been built by John and given to someone for their layout? Or was a trade item from someone else to their layout? Just a thought as in reading I thought that had been mentioned.
Lee Stoermer

Tom Milam

Group,

I have a sway back box car given to me from my friend Jerry, who got it from his friend Charlie. Charlie has passed years ago, right now I do not recall Charlie`s last name but visited or operated on the G&D, but he had told Jerry that he received  it from  John Allen. No way to confirm that John built the car. It does have very faded lettering but unable to read roadname, no G&D herald. Jerry said Charlie had asked John to build a car.

Maybe I will post a photo and the group can see the car, no way I am claiming this is a John Allen build as I have no proof other that what Jerry had been told by Charlie,

Just that I am sure john did cars for other modelers . I have to ask Jerry about the story and relationship with John to remind me. Maybe I can post  that when I add the photo of the . I have to get the car out.

Tom Milam

Russell Courtenay

We all would love to see it and read the whole story!

Russell Courtenay

Sent from my old iMac

On Sep 4, 2019, at 12:03 PM, Tom Milam via Groups.Io <ncngrr@...> wrote:

[...]

This is in the photo banner, perhaps most didn't notice:

"From Charlie Getz: This is supposedly a car built in HOn3 by John and last found on the PFM layout or in the PFM collection. Any info in this appreciated. There are some missing pieces and the construction is incredibly delicate. Swaybacked and exquisitely weathered, it is very well done. CV trucks and dummy Grandt couplers. Will be on display at CSRM as part of the NMRA exhibit. Charlie"

So it came from Pacific Fast Mail somehow (PFM), with whom JA absolutely had a close relationship (Bill Ryan, the founder, thus Ryan's Gulch), and photographed many of PFM's ads and catalog photos.

If he built it for PFM, then there is no discrepancy based on the couplers and/or road name.

BTW, PFM's first product was a slide set from G&D #1 and #2. There are very few color photos of that era, so finding a set of these slides would be wonderful!

Please, group, keep an eye and ear out for these!!!

Jeff

David Woodrell

[I have a sway back box car given to me from my friend Jerry, who got it from his friend Charlie. Charlie has passed years ago, right now I do not recall Charlie`s last name but visited or operated on the G&D, but he had told Jerry that he received  it from  John Allen. No way to confirm that John built the car. It does have very faded lettering but unable to read roadname, no G&D herald. Jerry said Charlie had asked John to build a car.]

Could the "Charlie" possibly be Charlie Trombley, who was an On3 modeler in the Bay Area and during the 50s and 60s would have meets (and possibly ops - I think I recall an article or reference to his gatherings in MR or the Gazette in the early 80s) that involved some local model luminaries, including Cliff Grandt and, I assume, JA?   He WAS an O scaler, so I would assume John would build it in that scale, if he built it all.

Dave

Tom Milam

Dave,

No, Not Trombley. I did visit his layout years ago however, 80`s . I have a railroad pass from my second visit, Do not recall without pulling it out of my collection, but was his railroad "Las Vegas..." something???