Topics

New Ground

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

-- Some more work.  Bridges in the background don't exist.

Walls are all dental plaster and hand carved as is the new GREAT DIVIDE headquarters Pediment....
randyleedecker@...

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Closer shots of the stone work for anyone interested.

Russell Courtenay

Great work Randy.

I’ve never worked in plaster because all of my layouts have been portable and plaster and concrete are banned.

I did try Mountains In Minutes foam casting many years ago, works well as long as you use enough mold release!

I recently received a few plaster kits from a friend so I will try my hand...

Russell Courtenay
July is national what month?

On Aug 6, 2019, at 4:56 PM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

Closer shots of the stone work for anyone interested.
<Pediment.JPG>
<Roundhouse Wall _2.JPG>

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

I really rushed these, Like John there is so much to do I wanted them to be unique but still capture Johns same size and basic window placement.   I could have taken longer and I wanted to do the larger stone construction but that would have looked like a copy of the South River Modelworks Stone Roundhouse.     So I decided to go for about 3000 river stones and wall supports built in and nice arched windows.    They are a scale 112'

Have to cast all the arch doors and back walls and carve each of them next.     I want to lay track but once you start on something like this it's better for me if I stay on it till its done.

Pediment is different...  Hated to do it but my layout is "The Great Divide"  I had to take the time to make a more fitting design that tells the tale.    The rest of the building will be identical ....

Randy

Ken Plumbly

Nice!

Looks like a lot of work.

Ken

On Tue, 2019-08-06 at 15:56 -0700, Randy Lee Decker wrote:
Closer shots of the stone work for anyone interested.

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Yes sir, hand a finger killer to carve.
     But it is for the recreation of the G&D so it has to be custom and it has to resemble Johns.  This was the best design I could come up with that did not look like a copy of other people's stone work for similar building attempts.

The pediment is the biggest change.     Won't be done with this building until I get to the yards this winter.

Randy

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 8:19 PM Ken Plumbly <ken.plumbly@...> wrote:
Nice!

Looks like a lot of work.

Ken

On Tue, 2019-08-06 at 15:56 -0700, Randy Lee Decker wrote:
Closer shots of the stone work for anyone interested.

David

Randy,

Great modeling, keep up the fantastic work!

David (Dry Gulch & Western)

On Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 6:19:39 PM PDT, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

Yes sir, hand a finger killer to carve.
     But it is for the recreation of the G&D so it has to be custom and it has to resemble Johns.  This was the best design I could come up with that did not look like a copy of other people's stone work for similar building attempts.

The pediment is the biggest change.     Won't be done with this building until I get to the yards this winter.

Randy

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 8:19 PM Ken Plumbly <ken.plumbly@...> wrote:
Nice!

Looks like a lot of work.

Ken

On Tue, 2019-08-06 at 15:56 -0700, Randy Lee Decker wrote:
Closer shots of the stone work for anyone interested.

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Hey Dave, I will have to attempt those High Steel Bridges sometime soon.  Wow I hope I can build them as beautifully as the bridge you have already finished on your layout.  I will have to ask for some pointers when I get there.

   Until then, I continue to try and bring John Allen's life's work back to the world as well and as accurately as I possibly can.   It' my passionate goal.  Some of you guys have already done incredible Model Building.  I am late to the whole story but passionate about getting it as right as you all have.

 I only hope for the continued support by those who can show us what John did through the sharing of images and the telling of tales from those days.  Only with their generous part in the telling of John Allen's life work, can our generations know his incredible story and help to bring it out into the light of day, in all its masterful glory.

This is a great place for those who "SHARE" John's incredible story.

Great work, Randy!

The bridges look super! I know that craving is really tedious, but the results are certainly worth it. Craving stone is one thing, but craving "pictures" (loco, wagons) requires a whole different level artistry.

As always, thank you for sharing you progress.

Yes sir...   Casting up the back walls of the roundhouse and front entrance arches should get them out of their moldwork and begin carving later today.  I think I will build the arched doors out of wood so they are a nice custom fit.    Nice lightly weathered wood...and rusty black hinges, nuts, bolts and hardware.

The pediment is a big change from Johns... But I have a few structures I wanted to make slightly differently these are two of them.   I carved smoking pipes and still do I suppose..  Have part of a Davy Jones, octopus face briarwood pipe in one of the drawers I always wanted to finish.   But not all three dimensional carvings are the same, tricks can be incorporated as they were here.

What bridges..  there are no bridges sir.

Randy

Matt Hosford

Very nice .....not sure if intended in your design but to me it shows the transformation that the transcontinental railroad created for our County......Thanks for sharing the progress.....
--
Matt Hosford
Wurn & Whythyrd Lines

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Hey Matt....    Yes exactly what I was going for....     "The Great Divide"

Randy

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 9:12 AM Matt Hosford <8ballracing@...> wrote:
Very nice .....not sure if intended in your design but to me it shows the transformation that the transcontinental railroad created for our County......Thanks for sharing the progress.....
--
Matt Hosford
Wurn & Whythyrd Lines

Matt Hosford

Well you nailed it......

  BTW, I may need you to send your mansonary crew down south to "Washal Mountain" to cobble up the adbutments for my NG truss........the gandy dancers are on overtime waiting to lay the rail....and our stone masons have been missing since the "Sorefeet" gang last passed through Wurn.......

Again, very nice carving work my friend......
--
Matt Hosford
Wurn & Whythyrd Lines