Topics

Model Railroading With John Allen Expanded Edition | eBay

Russell Courtenay

Another one has shown up on eBay if anyone is interested...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-Railroading-With-John-Allen-Expanded-Edition-/143696736717

Warren Jones

I bought it tonight. Thanks for the hint.
I just wish that someone had give me a hint about who the photographer in  Monterey was that liked to have GI's come down to his model train layout when the First Sergeant at  HHC ISG USACDCEC FT ORD CALIF told me about him when I arrived there in July 1968. I had just returned from 18 months in Okinawa during Lyndon Johnson's Southeast Asian war games and was interested in getting to know my daughter who was born 10 weeks after I left. I had no idea who John Allen was. Being a cook I saw the first sergeant every day I was on duty  as he came in for coffee  every morning and afternoon and I totally forgot he had told me that until after I was out back in Utah and found a Model Railroader in the supermarket following the Golden Spike 100 year celebration. I watched trains pass dad's farm ( now I-84 ) all my life and was woke up at 4:30 the first morning after being born by dads friend a UP engineer who always blew the whistle to tell dad he was passing by. This was a quarter mile west of where the 1941 picture of Big Boy 4019 cooling the train brakes was taken.

Russell Courtenay

Glad you got it and enjoy your stories! I am enjoying my book too.

Living just north of there I missed Mr. Allen about that time too, my dad took us to EVERYTHING train related and would have gone if my dad had known.

So are you saying the tracks in the area north of Salt Lake City used to go where I-84 is now or that they are parallel to I-84?

I spent a lot of time traveling down there from Idaho for summer conventions but last time was for the Transcontinental Sesquicentennial Celebration (shortened to Spike 150) May 2019. Had a great time, beautiful weather, saw the steam trains, but broke my hand in a freak scooter accident.

On Aug 29, 2020, at 12:24 AM, Warren Jones <yoppeh7j@...> wrote:

[...]

Charles Kinzer

Be sure to see the errata sheet in the group files which provides correct text for one of the pages.  (I think it a good idea to print it and keep it with the book.)

You can find it here:

https://groups.io/g/GandD/files/Errata%20sheet_JA%20Book.pdf

[...]

The UP tracks come down Echo canyon with I 80 close by and at Echo turns down Weber Canyon. At Echo I 84 branches off 80  and closely follows the UP tracks  westerly to Ogden crossing it twice. The Challengers and Big Boys were built because of the eastbound bottleneck  between Ogden and Wasatch Utah just west of Evanston Wyoming. Due to the fact there was no room to cheaply build another eastbound line beside the double track main line they chose bigger locomotives as they reduced the extra locos too. Eastbound is 1.4 but westbound has some 1.8 spots.
Just south of Ogden the tracks turn south to Salt Lake City then on to LA.
I missed the Transcontinental Sesquicentennial Celebration due to health problems. Winter of 2017-18  I did radiation and Chemo for prostate cancer  which they had missed a few cells in 09 when the prostate was removed. The PET/CT scan had more to say about my degenerative disk disease than the cancer  so I can not stand long or my back kills me. The chemo shuts down the tosterone production which was still 190 on Aug 25 when low is 300 ( PSA is still undetectable). I didn't feel I had enough energy to brave the crowds in Ogden or at the NMRA Convention.
I went up where dads property was by the ledges on the hill above old US 30 south when 4014 and 844 came west. Found a video that was shot from Henefer off ramp and you could see me silhouetted in the steam cloud on the mountain as they came around the point west of Echo. Went back up when they came east but stayed by old 30S that time.
 I watched hundreds of trains pass while riding formly horse drawn farm equipment pulled by dad on the case tractor where 84 is now.