Topics

Link to Jim Findley's 2-10-0

okrasaghia

Great pictures Keith though it's still a Russian (2-10-0)!
Anyone wanting to see them be sure to copy the full link:
http://www.pinecanyonscalemodels.com/G&Dmemorial.htm

I have the MR August 1982 issue where Tioga Pass is the cover story
but no #31 in the pictures. The other engines in the article are very
similar to yours.

After checking that I remembered something in Westcott's book:
"The Andrews peddler run was home for several older, smaller engines.
Sometimes it would have a 2-8-0 like No. 26 or No. 28, which could
each take ten cars up the hill, or perhaps a Tioga Pass 2-8-0 or
2-10-0."
MR with John Allen, Operating the G.D.Line page 115 in my copy.

Also the page before mentiones Tioga Pass:
"The other scheduled trains were run by the Andrews operator. These
were the Tioga Pass interchange trains, 41, 42, 43, and 44. The
mainline stub to Cold Shoulder was used as a staging track for these
trains, and 41 was scheduled to leave there and arrive at Port about
an hour after 15 had left. Train 41 would leave its cars at Port, pick
up any cars bound for the interchange, and return as No. 42. Trains 43
and 44 were similarly scheduled to work in and out of Port an hour
after No. 35's departure. These trains were often powered by Tioga
Pass locomotives to represent the connecting line."
MR with John Allen, Operating the G.D.Line page 114 in my copy.

The Tioga Pass RR does not look suited for a Russian with tight curves
and turnouts. Could it be that Tioga Pass #31 actually lived its life
at the G&D and is the 2-10-0 mentioned in the first quote above?

Again, thanks for sharing this Keith.

Regards, Okrasa

tonkamoes <atticat@...>

Oops...Yes, it is a 2-10-0, my mistake....And Yes, it probably was
used by Jim during his visits with John. I have no doubt about that.
Like John, Jim probably had a few locomotives that he would take with
him during visits to other layouts. Happy Railroading, Keith