Topics

John Whitby Allen Birthday (1913) - Thu, 07/02/2020 #cal-notice

GandD@groups.io Calendar <noreply@...>

John Whitby Allen Birthday (1913)

When:
Thursday, 2 July 2020

Mark Cartwright

is this pancake day ?
:)) Mark

Russell Courtenay

That’s right! I forgot!

On Jul 2, 2020, at 1:11 PM, Mark Cartwright via groups.io <marcdecapri@...> wrote:

is this pancake day ?
:)) Mark

David Woodrell

A quick question:  I've followed the email messages over the years about having a pancake breakfast on John's birthday, but I've never understood the significance (other than remembering him) of that particular breakfast.  Was that just a tradition started by our group or was that a favorite of his?

Just wondering...…….

Dave

Mark Cartwright

Is it alright to say I had Aunt Jemima Pancakes with Cherry and Strawberry jam with a side of Mrs Butterworth's ?

====
Not to distract the subject...but have you ever had Grits on an Amtrak Train ?
Did it just 10 years ago and it made the whole trip!
Like a vist to New Orleans, yet I was in Oregon.
Grist in restaurants tend to loose their culture by the time they are served up in Arizona.

Now I hear Amtrak plans on getting rid of their home cooked like meals.
Damn ...Just as I was about to get over the loss of Harvey's.
:)) Mark

My Mother took me on my first train ride on the Santa Fe in 1963 over to Richmond, California.
And one of the best experiences of my life.
We had pancakes.

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Dave,

John Le Forestier coined the term JAM ... John Allen Memorial breakfast and led the charge to celebrate John's Centennial Birthday on July 2, 2013. John Allen supposedly liked strawberry jam on his pancakes. Le Forestier encouraged G&D Group members to post photos of them celebrating JAM. Some are still in the Photos section.

See message #11269 and work forward from that to get a better idea of the "happenings."

When we switched to IO Groups, I added the JAM date to the Calendar.

I celebrated with my version of the popular AT&SF French toast. I have the recipe, but my wife made me trim down the calories; however, I did bake it. What a treat! My wife wrote JA with syrup and created the powdered sugar GD diamond. I'll be celebrating tomorrow. I'll repost my photos in the Pine Ridge RR album.