Topics

John's windows. Lessons in techniques long forgotten

Randy Lee Decker

http://www.gdlines.org/GDLines/GD_Galleries/The_Slides/Set_02/slides/s2_032_port_aug68-orig.html

For anyone interested in this topic I thought it best to get this conversation out of Toms Tioga Pass thread.    Paper-plastic-magic marker- paint or something else..?   Trying to find an easy way to reproduce these windows.. or at least an "accurate" way to reproduce these simple style windows as I want to make my rebuild more accurate as often as possible.     Now we can all guess....  But If you have made these in the past or know of an article about this old technique that would be fantastic and a real help.

Randy

Warner Swarner

By the way fellows, I haven’t checked out the sites but a quick way to print windows is to use transparency overhead film available still through office supply places using your friendly computer inkjet or laser printer. Buy the correct type of transparency sheets for your printer type. you can draw your window lines in PowerPoint. Drawing boxes is easy and adjusting your line width, height, and weight is also very easy to adjust. Literally using a “Windows” program to draw windows. You can adjust the size by test printing out on plain white paper then print as many windows as you need using overhead transparency film. those overhead projectors aren’t very common anymore but I’ve got a box of that film sitting around in my stacks of stuff that I used back when I was doing a lot of teaching by lantern light and candles.  BC (before computer)
Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed on some of the locations you’ve quoted. Tom, Randy, and all of you guys probably know these techniques well but I thought I would list it off here for us lazy guys that just read the threads.
Warner Swarner

On Nov 21, 2020, at 8:41 AM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

http://www.gdlines.org/GDLines/GD_Galleries/The_Slides/Set_02/slides/s2_032_port_aug68-orig.html

For anyone interested in this topic I thought it best to get this conversation out of Toms Tioga Pass thread.    Paper-plastic-magic marker- paint or something else..?   Trying to find an easy way to reproduce these windows.. or at least an "accurate" way to reproduce these simple style windows as I want to make my rebuild more accurate as often as possible.     Now we can all guess....  But If you have made these in the past or know of an article about this old technique that would be fantastic and a real help.

Randy

Tom Milam

Look up Ben Kings Timber City Northwestern article in Model Railroader on building hisTimber City station. Thread and acetate windows . Can’t remember the exact month/ year 60’s .

Tom Milam
Wolf Creek Railway
Of California

On Nov 21, 2020, at 9:41 AM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

http://www.gdlines.org/GDLines/GD_Galleries/The_Slides/Set_02/slides/s2_032_port_aug68-orig.html

For anyone interested in this topic I thought it best to get this conversation out of Toms Tioga Pass thread.    Paper-plastic-magic marker- paint or something else..?   Trying to find an easy way to reproduce these windows.. or at least an "accurate" way to reproduce these simple style windows as I want to make my rebuild more accurate as often as possible.     Now we can all guess....  But If you have made these in the past or know of an article about this old technique that would be fantastic and a real help.

Randy

Bruce Wilson

February 1970 starting on page 52

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Life Member NMRA
Member Scale 7 Group Gauge 0 Guild 7mmNGA
Member Bird Studies Canada Ontario Bird Banding Association
Nature Barrie Simcoe County Banding Group

On 11/21/2020 12:43, Tom Milam via groups.io wrote:
Look up Ben Kings Timber City Northwestern article in Model Railroader on building hisTimber City station. Thread and acetate windows . Can’t remember the exact month/ year 60’s .

Tom Milam

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Life Member    NMRA
Member    Scale 7 Group    Gauge 0 Guild  7mmNGA
Member Bird Studies Canada   Ontario Bird Banding Association
Nature Barrie      Simcoe County Banding Group
On 11/21/2020 12:43, Tom Milam via groups.io wrote:

Look up Ben Kings Timber City Northwestern article in Model Railroader on building hisTimber City station. Thread and acetate windows . Can’t remember the exact month/ year 60’s .

Tom Milam

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Thanks, Randy ... but the Tioga Pass RR Boxcar thread has reached now critical mass and is about to set record.

!     Ya Gotta love it brotha.. ..  it's like herding cats.

David Woodrell

So, since nobody "rose to my bait" about what the gold clad bell-looking structure on top of "Watson House" is, does that mean there's no story there?  Any of you lucky guys who got to visit or operate on the G&D have any thoughts on it?

Still curious!

Dave

Thayer Syme

For those who haven't tried one, the open style capillary ruling pens are remarkable in their ability to lay down a clean, and heavy line of ink/pigment. I've not seen any kind of traditional pen or marker that is its equal, and can imagine it would be ideal for painting window details on film.

In the flying model airplane world it used to be quite common for those painting their own markings to outline a figure with such a pen loaded with thinned paint, and then fill in the rest using a brush. Once partially dry, the original penline acts as a dam to guide the brush.

Folks have gotten lazy with decals and computer cut paint masks, but when those technologies are not available, the ruling pen still rules.

Thayer

Randy Lee Decker

Dave, No story I know of other than it gave one of the Port buildings a nice gold dome found in many major cities.  I found a plastic collectors dome about 3" in diameter at the bottom that seems to have this same shape and will use that to recreate this fun feature.

Thayer  I have some Ink pens coming I will probably use the computer programs in the end to make multiples faster but I want to try this technique out.

I thought John might have used a deodorant, sharing cream, or some other type of lid for the gold dome.

Re: Stuck paint/ink from airbrush guns, paint brushes, pens, glass bottles, etc: Don't throw them out!

Soak them in a 50:50 Lestoil Heavy Duty Multi-Purpose Cleaner & water mixture. I use a wide-mouth glass jar with metal lid, e.g., a pickle jar. Lesoil is kind of hard to find. I ordered mine from Walgreens. Walmart has it in-stock for $16.99 28 oz. free shipping. Lesoil does not leave an after-odor like Pinesol.

I never throw out a glass model paint bottle or lid. I let paint bottles and lids soak for a week. Clean out chunks of paint with a screw drive and, sometimes, have a re-soak the nasty ones. This will also un-stick lids. Try it ... you'll like it!