Topics

John Allen Exhibit Part 2 of 3

Andrew Novak

During the summer of 2010, I vacationed in San Diego. These photos were taken of the John Allen Exhibit at the San Diego Model Railroad Museum on August 19, 2010.

Andrew Novak

_._,_._,_

Randy Lee Decker

Thanks for adding these Andrew,  your photo of the miniature layout and the great bridge is closer and shows the bridge in question he best I have seen so far.   It will be interesting to see the new exhibit for John once they are done...

Randy

Kurt Youngmann

The photo of the April ’73 MR cover means a lot to me. When the magazine first came, I immediately contacted Linn Westcott to request a copy of the original. He obliged me with an 8 X 10 which even today hangs on my basement stairway, leading down to where my layout used to be. It has faded some over the years, but it’s still there for me to see every time I go downstairs. The layout is long gone and memories of John have largely faded as well which is why the G & D group is important to me - it’s an almost daily reminder of this part of my past.

Kurt Youngmann

On Jun 16, 2020, at 11:28 AM, Andrew Novak via groups.io <rtd1121@...> wrote:

During the summer of 2010, I vacationed in San Diego. These photos were taken of the John Allen Exhibit at the San Diego Model Railroad Museum on August 19, 2010.

Andrew Novak

_._,
***

“You can fool some of the people some of the time -- and that's enough to make a decent living.”
- w.c. fields

Randy Lee Decker

That photograph of John is just one of those images that is engrained in his story now.  I know it often is the first image I think of when speaking about him.      To know you had the foresight to ask about that photo years ago, before Linn's things went to Kalmbach and the rest of the things he had for the book that are now gone, was a stroke of genius.
  If you ever find the time…   Please take that photo out of its frame and get as high of a resolution scan of it that you can so it is better preserved digitally.    It would be nice to see it on the GDLines memorial pages.  And your story of obtaining it to go along with it.

Kurt....   I believe we had a fun conversation about John and his influence on so many modelers some time back.    I wanted to mention that I have been communicating and sharing model work with Kenichi Matsumoto from Japan recently.   And when I think about it.... just the fact that two craftsmen, located almost exactly halfway round and on opposite sides of this planet are having a blast speaking of John and working on models that honor John Allen's talents and reanimating what he built.   Kenichi is many years older than I and our only connection is in model railroading and specifically John Allen.

I find this funny little interaction between two craftsmen from totally different regions and cultures an amazing part of John's story.  And proof that John's creative spirit is still alive and well and circling the world to this day nearly 50 years after his death.    Now if that don't bring a smile to anyone who reads it.

Andrew, thank you for posting these photos.

Randy, the last photo here answers your question about the model's size. We know the size of "The Book" to the right of it.

Yep I saw that.  Thanks..     I really am hoping I make it out to the West Coast and CA yet.  I would like to see these things and John's home and meet some of the operators in person.

Randy