Topics

John Allen box car 1

Tom Milam

Group,

I am having problems sending photos, hope they come through.

This is the car given to me by my friend Jerry. He got from his friend Charlie Allen (passed) which was his fathers. His father was an operator on the Gorre and Daphetid at sometime. With Charlie gone I have no more information of his fathers  time on the G&D. Does anyone recall someone with the last name "Allen" Charlie had told Jerry that John Allen (no relation) build it for his dad as a gift or his request. On the box there is hand written J Allen ( I will post a photo of the box also). There is not a road name some very faded lettering on one side. The car has what looks like Roundhouse couplers, not all modelers of the era used Baker couplers as John. The cars is a Central Valley car , at least it has some of the hardware.The underframe is different, maybe to form the sway back instead of the thick CV wooden frame. I can not prove that it is a John Allen build, but it is nice to have and with the story maybe it is. I will list more photos and you can maybe figure out if it is or not. A book seller (?) has a John Allen car he claims also, I have not looked close at it, he would not take it out of the case to compare the cars. 
Any help if it is a John Allen car?

Tom Milam

-----Original Message-----
To: ncngrr <ncngrr@...>
Sent: Sun, Sep 8, 2019 10:29 pm
Subject: John Allen box car 1

John Allen box car given to Charlie Allen’s father. Built by John Allen

Tom Milam

To: GandD <GandD@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Sep 8, 2019 10:48 pm
Subject: [GandD] John Allen box car 1

Group,

This is the car given to me by my friend Jerry. He got from his friend Charlie Allen (passed) which was his fathers. His father was an operator on the Gorre and Daphetid at sometime. With Charlie gone I have no more information of his fathers  time on the G&D. Does anyone recall someone with the last name "Allen" Charlie had told Jerry that John Allen (no relation) build it for his dad as a gift or his request. On the box there is hand written J Allen ( I will post a photo of the box also). There is not a road name some very faded lettering on one side. The car has what looks like Roundhouse couplers, not all modelers of the era used Baker couplers as John. The cars is a Central Valley car , at least it has some of the hardware.The underframe is different, maybe to form the sway back instead of the thick CV wooden frame. I can not prove that it is a John Allen build, but it is nice to have and with the story maybe it is. I will list more photos and you can maybe figure out if it is or not. A book seller (?) has a John Allen car he claims also, I have not looked close at it, he would not take it out of the case to compare the cars. 

Tom Milam

Tom Milam

Sent: Sun, Sep 8, 2019 10:52 pm
Subject: Fwd: [GandD] John Allen box car 1

Sent: Sun, Sep 8, 2019 10:48 pm
Subject: [GandD] John Allen box car 1

Group,

Tom Milam