Topics

JA's Locomotive #25

Al Clemens

Hello,

Recently I've been trying to gather information on #25.
I've located most of the G&D images in the book, and online images, plus the photo of Dave Gorelle's re-creation and tribute to #25, in his "new_yahoo" album.

A question I have concerns the item on the tender deck between the bunker and the water fill hatch.
My instincts tell me it's a air tank, but it has, what appears to me, a "flared" bottom, and doesn't really look like a normal air tank.
Also, I can't discern any expected air lines going to, or from it.

Or is it possibly a round top tool box?

Thanks for any illuminating information.
Respectfully,
Al

I did some cursory searching and found the photo in the “new_yahoo” album and some others.  But couldn’t find one showing the tender deck well enough to see what you are referring to.

Could you provide specific direction to relevant photos such as online links or “The Book” page numbers.

Recently I've been trying to gather information on #25.

I've located most of the G&D images in the book, and online images, plus the photo of Dave Gorelle's re-creation and tribute to #25, in his "new_yahoo" album.

A question I have concerns the item on the tender deck between the bunker and the water fill hatch.

My instincts tell me it's a air tank, but it has, what appears to me, a "flared" bottom, and doesn't really look like a normal air tank.

Also, I can't discern any expected air lines going to, or from it.

Or is it possibly a round top tool box?

Thanks for any illuminating information.

Respectfully,

Al

Al Clemens

Actually, the images I am having trouble with are two of the G&D images.
I've attached 2 cropped images which includes their file names, and tried to keep their sizes small.
Al

Tom Milam

The round top box is a standard detail piece on a stock roundhouse 0-6-0, John reused as a detail on his number 25. Look up a MDC 0-6-0 on eBay or any site to confirm.

Tom Milam

On Mar 10, 2020, at 1:54 PM, A Clemens <aclmns42@...> wrote:

Actually, the images I am having trouble with are two of the G&D images.
I've attached 2 cropped images which includes their file names, and tried to keep their sizes small.
Al

<MR-19570600-038-600_70 - cropped tender - lo res.jpg>
<s1_039_25bridge_feb72 - cropped.jpg>

Al Clemens

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the reply.
For the MDC/Roundhouse tender I found a fully cylindrical tank with am approximate length of around 5ft, and 2 mounting points a short distance from the ends. No angled mounting brackets or support brackets.
It just doesn't look like what I perceive in the images.
Al

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 1:05 PM Tom Milam via Groups.Io <ncngrr=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
The round top box is a standard detail piece on a stock roundhouse 0-6-0, John reused as a detail on his number 25. Look up a MDC 0-6-0 on eBay or any site to confirm.

Tom Milam

On Mar 10, 2020, at 1:54 PM, A Clemens <aclmns42@...> wrote:

Actually, the images I am having trouble with are two of the G&D images.
I've attached 2 cropped images which includes their file names, and tried to keep their sizes small.
Al

<MR-19570600-038-600_70 - cropped tender - lo res.jpg>
<s1_039_25bridge_feb72 - cropped.jpg>

Charles Kinzer

Edited

The detail part on the Roundhouse 0-6-0 is their part no. 22305 (also used the number 2L305) “Toolbox” (thank you HOseeker).  Here is part of a photo from an eBay sale where they conveniently painted it red and painted the hinges so we could see it is quite different in shape than what is seen on #25 and also has cast on detail which the #25 part does not.  (Photo cropped and enlarged and a bit fuzzy, but you can probably get the idea.)

I know of no air reservoir that would be shaped like the part on the G&D engine.  It looks more like a cover such as what a hose reel cover might look like, except it is extremely long.  But maybe it represents covering a really long hose reel?

Charles E. ”Chuck” Kinzer

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

For the MDC/Roundhouse tender I found a fully cylindrical tank with am approximate length of around 5ft, and 2 mounting points a short distance from the ends. No angled mounting brackets or support brackets.

It just doesn't look like what I perceive in the images.

Al

Al Clemens

Hi Chuck,
Thanks for the reply.
I think that's what I am looking for.
That is also probably what Tom eluded to,  I just didn't think to look at a sloped tender.

Thanks again for all of the replies.
Al

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 1:54 PM Charles Kinzer <ckinzer@...> wrote:

[...]

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Hi Al,

I gave Dave an undecorated Roundhouse RTR 2-6-0 (circa 2005) to use as a start point for #25. It ran like a top. John used an all-metal MDC/Roundhouse 0-6-0 for his #25, which was probably a good puller for a small loco.

I can't answer your "thing" on the tender question.

John Reynolds

At least on the Roundhouse switcher, the "thing" is supposed to be a toolbox...
Why? I don't know, he's on third....
John Reynolds

On Tuesday, March 10, 2020, 05:38:09 PM PDT, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <pr-line@...> wrote:

Hi Al,

I gave Dave an undecorated Roundhouse RTR 2-6-0 (circa 2005) to use as a start point for #25. It ran like a top. John used an all-metal MDC/Roundhouse 0-6-0 for his #25, which was probably a good puller for a small loco.

I can't answer your "thing" on the tender question.

Tom Milam

Al

Does not sound like the  tool box square with a rounded lid. Did you look at a stock MDC tender photo? Looks like in you photo you have

Tom

On Mar 10, 2020, at 2:26 PM, A Clemens <aclmns42@...> wrote:

[...]

Tom M.,
I am completely satisfied with the information you, and others have provided.

I've now viewed many sloped tenders and find the tool box's features to agree with what I perceive in the two G&D online cropped images that I initially attached.

I even found an image that shows the "flaring" towards the bottom that I initially mentioned, and have attached that cropped image.

Thanks to all.
Al

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 6:40 PM Tom Milam via Groups.Io <ncngrr=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Al

Does not sound like the  tool box square with a rounded lid. Did you look at a stock MDC tender photo? Looks like in you photo you have

Ken Dodge

Hi Al,

I've been following this thread and agree with you. Quick question though. I'm now not sure what you meant by "... the "flaring" towards the bottom ..."  At first I thought you meant it looked like its bottom curved out from otherwise vertical sides (like it had been "squished down"), but the attached photo you provided looks like you may have meant that it's more of a trapezoid shape with a rounded top, as opposed to a rectangular shape.  If that's true then I do agree with all of the conclusions as to its source.

Ken Dodge

Al Clemens

Ken,
Yes, what I earlier perceived as "flaring" is indeed the trapezoidal shaped front & back of the tool box.

Thank you.
Al

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 11:43 AM Ken Dodge <k.dodge@...> wrote:
Hi Al,

I've been following this thread and agree with you. Quick question though. I'm now not sure what you meant by "... the "flaring" towards the bottom ..."  At first I thought you meant it looked like its bottom curved out from otherwise vertical sides (like it had been "squished down"), but the attached photo you provided looks like you may have meant that it's more of a trapezoid shape with a rounded top, as opposed to a rectangular shape.  If that's true then I do agree with all of the conclusions as to its source.

Ken Dodge
,_._,_

John Hagen

That “flaring” was likely there to make removal of the box from it mold easy.

John Hagen

[...]

Image removed by sender.

John Hagen