Topics

Info Photographs Opinions New NMRA Museum and John Allen

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

It seems the NMRA museum in San Diego is open...  Has anyone been there yet?   Are there any new photographs on display?  Burned engines any rolling stock Timesaver etc..?  This is huge news.  I am thrilled they have a place now for John Allen things.
   We of course already have the BEST place for photographs but museums are more traditional depositories and I was hoping there might be something new there by now.

randyleedecker@...

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Did you mean the new one in Sacramento? Did you read something that said it was open?

Whoops...    San Diego..... Sacramento.  An eastern boy, who never crossed the Mississippi, see's them all the same...lol     I thought I saw a video of people working on exhibits.      Now that I went searching for it..    I see nothing of the kind anywhere....  ?   I find only the concept drawings and descriptions.

 I did find a note that Clint Eastwood has a part in this .... he is responsible in some part in salvaging Allen McClellan's V&O Railroad.   I remember photo's in the magazines of it.  I thought that was long gone many years ago.

 Anyway  I must have had a dream that the museum was open..... Really, I swear I saw a video....

Randy

Rick Jones

On 8/20/2019 4:05 PM, Randy Lee Decker wrote:
Whoops...?? ?? San Diego..... Sacramento.?? An eastern boy, who never crossed the Mississippi, see's them all the same...lol?? ?? ??I thought I saw a video of people working on exhibits.?? ?? ?? Now that I went searching for it..?? ?? I see nothing of the kind anywhere....?? ??? ??I find only the concept drawings and descriptions.
??I did find a note that Clint Eastwood has a part in this .... he is responsible in some part in salvaging Allen McClellan's V&O Railroad. ??I remember photo's in the magazines of it.?? I thought that was long gone many years ago.
??Anyway?? I must have had a dream that the museum was open..... Really, I swear I saw a video....
The NMRA web site makes no mention of the gallery being opened yet. In fact they don't even give a projected time of completion, just saying it is expected to take a few years. I would expect that would be the first place to look for any solid info on the display's opening.
This paragraph from the NMRA's description of the gallery describes some of what will be on display:

Visitors will see actual portions of famous train layouts built by some of the most talented, well known modeling experts in the history of the hobby, and salvaged before those layouts were dismantled. Notable among them are the San Juan Central railroad, built by Malcolm Furlow for Model Railroader magazine, plus key portions of Len Madsen???s Ophir, Colorado, scene, portions of Irv Schultz???s St. Clair Northern, the Clintwood section of Allen McClelland???s original Virginian and Ohio, and even John Allen???s famous Timesaver.

Now, I don't know that Clint Eastwood had anything to do with McClelland naming a section of his layout Clintwood. Or is it just some rumor?

--

Rick Jones

You know you're getting old when jeans and a sweater no longer
qualify as "dressed up."

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Well yes, but I can still dream Rick.

Apparently second floor model railroad exhibit has been open for more than a month now.    The Library is still being competed... but the exhibits are there. John Allen has a case.    if anyone is in Sacramento area.  go  get us some pictures please...

Donald Robichaud

I have to say that even seeing the picture with Malcomb Furlows San Juan Central is really neat. The book on the SJC got me into using foam and spurred a ton on ideas. It's great to see that model railroader keeps recognizing the many who inspire our creativity. The more pictures people share, the more exciting the hobby gets. Sometimes the littlest detail may trivial to some, but gold to others.
With that! Thanks everyone for sharing!
Don

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Thank for posting the photos! It's truly an amazing museum. It's been away too long since my last visit.