Topics

How do you deal with your tenders?

Some of we non diesel types still run the steamers of a by gone era. I am wondering how others treat their tenders. I am talking aesthetically concerning the outside of the tender. Does anyone alter them and how?  I look at my fleets of tenders and they all look alike. Everyone of them works a long hard day on the railroad, and we even occasionally stop at a water tower to replenish our water. However we still return to the yard with a full load of coal.  This bothers me so I have begun a tender altering campaign to remedy that. I do this by cutting out the coal bunker out and rebuilding it as it really is. Then I only put a small amount of coal at the bottom. Here is a rough draft of a tender midway though its conversion. I seek input from y'all on your experiences / thoughts and comment on this question..... thanks.
--
Russell Desmond

Charles Kinzer

If you want to take it a step further, you can have the coal load deplete and replenish.  Awhile back Lionel had a “depleting coal load” in a 3-rail Big Boy.  It was rubber and a mechanism pulls it down in the middle over time.  Especially in 3-rail the competitors try to one up each other with this or that gimmick.

Here’s a YouTube of it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j_iPaYKI-g

Maybe there is a way to have loose coal fall through a small hole to a receptacle underneath a false floor of the coal bunker.  As the engine runs, vibration lets the coal fall through.  You would need a way to easily get the coal out of the receptacle to “refill” the tender.  The problem would be in hoping the coal just didn’t jam up in the small hole somehow.  This is a “bulk solids flow” problem and perhaps a difficult one.  Instead of a hole, you might need a small funnel shape.  There is an entire industry dealing with “bulk sold flow” involving everything from pharmaceutical powders to corn flakes to pasta to mining ore.

Or you could have a larger opening and a sliding or trap door of some sort that occasionally opened briefly to dump a bit of the coal.  That could have a larger opening that would guarantee coal would flow through it.  The door might not close all the way and be jammed up by pieces of coal, but that wouldn’t matter so long as the flow of coal stopped.

[...]

_._,_._,_

Russell Courtenay

That is a good idea. The 3-rail guys have some amazing technology to deal with choices in toy trains- have you ever seen a 4-12-2 go through O-72 track? Amazing!

Fortunately us scale guys benefit as I someday want a full O scale Daylight train and can have it traverse hidden 36” radius loops instead of 72” radius. Now if they would just use their technological prowess to get rid of that gross turd rail and ugly foot-wide wheels!