Topics

How do you deal with your tenders?

Some of we non diesel types still run the steamers of a by gone era. I am wondering how others treat their tenders. I am talking aesthetically concerning the outside of the tender. Does anyone alter them and how?  I look at my fleets of tenders and they all look alike. Everyone of them works a long hard day on the railroad, and we even occasionally stop at a water tower to replenish our water. However we still return to the yard with a full load of coal.  This bothers me so I have begun a tender altering campaign to remedy that. I do this by cutting out the coal bunker out and rebuilding it as it really is. Then I only put a small amount of coal at the bottom. Here is a rough draft of a tender midway though its conversion. I seek input from y'all on your experiences / thoughts and comment on this question..... thanks.
--
Russell Desmond

Charles Kinzer

If you want to take it a step further, you can have the coal load deplete and replenish.  Awhile back Lionel had a “depleting coal load” in a 3-rail Big Boy.  It was rubber and a mechanism pulls it down in the middle over time.  Especially in 3-rail the competitors try to one up each other with this or that gimmick.

Here’s a YouTube of it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j_iPaYKI-g

Maybe there is a way to have loose coal fall through a small hole to a receptacle underneath a false floor of the coal bunker.  As the engine runs, vibration lets the coal fall through.  You would need a way to easily get the coal out of the receptacle to “refill” the tender.  The problem would be in hoping the coal just didn’t jam up in the small hole somehow.  This is a “bulk solids flow” problem and perhaps a difficult one.  Instead of a hole, you might need a small funnel shape.  There is an entire industry dealing with “bulk sold flow” involving everything from pharmaceutical powders to corn flakes to pasta to mining ore.

Or you could have a larger opening and a sliding or trap door of some sort that occasionally opened briefly to dump a bit of the coal.  That could have a larger opening that would guarantee coal would flow through it.  The door might not close all the way and be jammed up by pieces of coal, but that wouldn’t matter so long as the flow of coal stopped.

Charles E. “Chuck” Kinzer

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 7:47 AM
To: GandD@groups.io
Subject: [GandD] How do you deal with your tenders?

Some of we non diesel types still run the steamers of a by gone era. I am wondering how others treat their tenders. I am talking aesthetically concerning the outside of the tender. Does anyone alter them and how?  I look at my fleets of tenders and they all look alike. Everyone of them works a long hard day on the railroad, and we even occasionally stop at a water tower to replenish our water. However we still return to the yard with a full load of coal.  This bothers me so I have begun a tender altering campaign to remedy that. I do this by cutting out the coal bunker out and rebuilding it as it really is. Then I only put a small amount of coal at the bottom. Here is a rough draft of a tender midway though its conversion. I seek input from y'all on your experiences / thoughts and comment on this question..... thanks.
--
Russell Desmond

_._,_._,_

Russell Courtenay

That is a good idea. The 3-rail guys have some amazing technology to deal with choices in toy trains- have you ever seen a 4-12-2 go through O-72 track? Amazing! 

Fortunately us scale guys benefit as I someday want a full O scale Daylight train and can have it traverse hidden 36” radius loops instead of 72” radius. Now if they would just use their technological prowess to get rid of that gross turd rail and ugly foot-wide wheels!

On Jun 26, 2019, at 10:21 AM, Charles Kinzer <ckinzer@...> wrote:

If you want to take it a step further, you can have the coal load deplete and replenish.  Awhile back Lionel had a “depleting coal load” in a 3-rail Big Boy.  It was rubber and a mechanism pulls it down in the middle over time.  Especially in 3-rail the competitors try to one up each other with this or that gimmick.

Here’s a YouTube of it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j_iPaYKI-g

Maybe there is a way to have loose coal fall through a small hole to a receptacle underneath a false floor of the coal bunker.  As the engine runs, vibration lets the coal fall through.  You would need a way to easily get the coal out of the receptacle to “refill” the tender.  The problem would be in hoping the coal just didn’t jam up in the small hole somehow.  This is a “bulk solids flow” problem and perhaps a difficult one.  Instead of a hole, you might need a small funnel shape.  There is an entire industry dealing with “bulk sold flow” involving everything from pharmaceutical powders to corn flakes to pasta to mining ore.

Or you could have a larger opening and a sliding or trap door of some sort that occasionally opened briefly to dump a bit of the coal.  That could have a larger opening that would guarantee coal would flow through it.  The door might not close all the way and be jammed up by pieces of coal, but that wouldn’t matter so long as the flow of coal stopped.

Charles E. “Chuck” Kinzer

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 7:47 AM

--
Russell Desmond

Larry Smith

Russel

That is a very good idea, however you might want to take it a step further and make the coal loads removable and replace them at different times to show the usage.  If you are doing timetable operation and a fast clock, then the tenders will be at different levels during the day.

Larry Smith, MMR (R)

Nice way Lionel dealt with this however I traded in my 027 stuff for half O stuff long ago now.

Larry you may have a point there .... sort of like Jim Findley's telescoping chimney on the Squawbottom station on the G&D line. The way I made this was with sloping sides in the coal bin. The bottom piece which holds the coal is a V shaped piece. Where it rests in the coal bin is determined by the shape and thickness of the V. Since I have fleets of tenders (the one pictured above is a Mantua) I could set up a dozen or so which will ride at different levels in the coal tender and and then scatter them about the tender fleet.

Greg Komar

Russell,

FWIW: Under “Coal Loads,” I’ve posted some photos from my latest batch of steamers, showing the coal loads (real coal) tapered toward the front to mimic coal being used. I hadn’t considered making them removable for different times during an Op Session, but I don’t think I could have pulled it off. I mount the speakers right below the bunkers, so I attach a relatively thin layer of coal on top of some brass mesh, to let the sound out. Sound pretty good…

Looking at the close-ups of the loads, the pieces of coal look large, but I think most powered stokers wouldn’t care about the sizes too much….

Greg Komar

gkomar@...

Be decisive. Right or wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision.

From: GandD@groups.io [mailto:GandD@groups.io] On Behalf Of Russ Desmond via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 10:47 AM

--
Russell Desmond

Yes Greg I'm aware that modern railroaders place speakers, DCC stuff and other things in their tenders....... Me I'm an old time analog railroader and the only thing in my tender is the light for the back of the tender so I am not constrained by that factor. I could make a tender almost outta coal and gaming on making the next yard before their coal supplies run out..... sort of like what John did with "water units" on the G&D line. Imagine the embarrassment of running out of coal or water out on the mainline. Hopefully there is a siding nearby otherwise that section of the mainline is shut down until a wreck train arrives with coal or water. Pure John Allen with the double whammy of coal & water. Imagine the embarrassment of a newly frocked engineer having that occur to him and the railroad shutting down till his train is cleared ... so much for schedules and the fast clock ticks it's always advancing cadence 

Gregg Tivnan

I would like to know more about your fleet of ten-wheelers, They look Tyco Pettycoat Junction (Sierra RR #3).

If it is too off topic, please send as a PM.

Gregg

On Thursday, June 27, 2019, 7:36:12 AM CDT, Russ Desmond via Groups.Io <capdes101@...> wrote:

Yes Greg I'm aware that modern railroaders place speakers, DCC stuff and other things in their tenders....... Me I'm an old time analog railroader and the only thing in my tender is the light for the back of the tender so I am not constrained by that factor. I could make a tender almost outta coal and gaming on making the next yard before their coal supplies run out..... sort of like what John did with "water units" on the G&D line. Imagine the embarrassment of running out of coal or water out on the mainline. Hopefully there is a siding nearby otherwise that section of the mainline is shut down until a wreck train arrives with coal or water. Pure John Allen with the double whammy of coal & water. Imagine the embarrassment of a newly frocked engineer having that occur to him and the railroad shutting down till his train is cleared ... so much for schedules and the fast clock ticks it's always advancing cadence 

Rick Jones

On 6/27/2019 7:36 AM, Russ Desmond via Groups.Io wrote:
Imagine the embarrassment of a newly frocked engineer having that occur to him and the railroad shutting down till his train is cleared ... so much for schedules and the fast clock ticks it's always advancing cadence
This has happened to me trying to run a steam engine in Train Simulator. I seem to do OK on level ground, but still haven't learned the tricks of working the throttle and reverser running a heavy train uphill.

--

Rick Jones

"There's very little advice in men's magazines, because men think, 'I know what I'm doing. Just show me somebody naked'."
-Jerry Seinfeld

GREG.... This is an ongoing evolution on the A&E line. Studying pictures of the B&M and other real RR's I see fleets of locomotives #4000 to # 4025 were all such and such's and so forth. This set me on to having fleets of like locomotives on my RR as being rather unique in model railroading. John, while not running fleets of like loco's did swap his tenders around to get a different look to his loco's which is why his locos had numbers but his tenders carried the RR monika in varied forms & styles. I follow the same idea on my RR however am taking that concept a bit further. On my fleet of Mantua / Tyco 10 wheelers (Rogers type) I got a different tender for each loco (see picture 1 below) Thus the profile of each loco is different but alike. I choose this type of loco because it is a popular one in both movies TV & model railroads and thus is quite recognizable and yet it is different &  unique on my RR. I have followed concept this with all my fleets. On my helper service fleets (2-6-6-2's) I have also varied the tender type to make each loco appear unique (see pictures 2,3 4, & 5). My current question on tender coal height refers to my next fleet (the 4-6-2's. picture 6) I am maturing in my tender variation concepts by varing my amount of coal in the tender again making each of the fleet unique in it's own appearance and paint job. Picture 7 shows that I am in good company with my 10 wheelers ~ Disney World  Florida . .   

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Nice job, Russ!

Why don't you create a photo album and place them there? They'll be easier to find than searching through email threads.

--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

My fleets .... This has bothered me for years seeing lash ups of many diesels powering huge trains over massive layouts. I wanna do that with steam  it was done in the past as freight cargoes and cars increased in size and weight the short term remedy was to add a second loco to get the power to move the consist. The long term solution was to upgrade to a bigger engine. I have seen model railroads with trains double headed whether they're just posed or really operational is questionable. But what purest amongst us who not love to take the triple header below out on the mainline with a string of varnish 30 coaches long and a green highball signal all the way up to Webhannet station?  ......except for that new bee (as yet unreported) stall ahead who ran out of coal on the 3% grade ahead........ can you say Casey Jones?