Topics

Hokel Compressed Gas

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

“One look was enough – I was smitten by its thoroughly disreputable appearance as he [Cliff Robinson] had been.” That’s what Jim Findley wrote in the intro to his  “Compressed gas factory” article in Model Railroader March 1971.

I agree – I was smitten, too, and have wanted to build this structure for many years. Again, replacing a mock-up. I started construction on Oct 26 and “finished” on Dec 1. I still have a few more small signs to add and, after the town of Andrew is more complete, I’ll be lighting the interior and adding three LED gooseneck lamps. I’ll also be raising this structure a little higher that its shown 1” height. I'll add some vertical tanks that sit on the front side with pipes leading to the main building.

It’s made out of 3/32” hard balsa, printed brick paper, commercial windows and other odds and ends. The metal building is corrugated plastic. The cooling tower came from a Walthers N scale R.J. Frost Ice & Storage kit, which really baled me out of a dilemma trying to scratch build it! (Even Findley dodged this on the one he built for his Tioga Pass RR.) The main building is a scale 4'10" (~5/8") shorter, with 10 vs. 11 clerestory windows. The five main windows are larger that the plans and the "painted" lettering sits lower. (I know I kind a blew that.) It may be hard to tell from the photos, but the black and white lettering was pre-printed on the brick paper and set to a 34% transparency, which allowed the underlying brick to be revealed. I thought that was cool!

I posted photos of "Hokel Compressed Gas" in my Pine Ridge RR album.

(BTW, "Uffda" (spelled many different ways) is a Norwegian exclamation … that means about anything you want it, too.)

Warner Swarner

Tom,
Tell me again where your album is located.  Is it one of the groups albums or do you have your own site?  I am sort of web site password challenged (overwhelmed). I can still wire a double slip switch into two reverse loops but darn if I can remember all the passwords I’ve had to change because I couldn’t remember the passwords.
Watched you video again.  Your layout is so amazing.  Always watch for updates from Pine Ridge RR.
Warner

On Dec 23, 2019, at 11:26 AM, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:

[...]

Excellent work on this Tom.  You homage to Andrews is going to be great.    !

Hi Warner,

The album is in our GandD group. Click "Photos" … then click the "Pine Ridge RR - Tom Hokel" album. It's currently the ninth album.

Thanks for the nice comments! I always appreciate them.

Were you able to read my N Scale Angels Camp article in MRH Nov 2019 issue? Thanks again for your photo!

Enjoy the Holidays! A time to remember our first train set, too!

Thanks, Randy. I really appreciate that!

Starting Compressed Space LTD is just around the corner. Couldn't do it without Warner's slide!

Have a Great Holiday Season!

The group photos section is a bit hard to navigate at times so I’ve added a direct link to the group photos section to the end of each email.

Here is a direct link to the Pine Ridge RR folder:
https://groups.io/g/GandD/album?id=86445

On Dec 23, 2019, at 2:13 PM, Warner Swarner via Groups.Io <wbswarner@...> wrote:

Tom,
Tell me again where your album is located.  Is it one of the groups albums or do you have your own site?  I am sort of web site password challenged (overwhelmed). I can still wire a double slip switch into two reverse loops but darn if I can remember all the passwords I’ve had to change because I couldn’t remember the passwords.
Watched you video again.  Your layout is so amazing.  Always watch for updates from Pine Ridge RR.
Warner

On Dec 23, 2019, at 11:26 AM, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:

Warner Swarner

Tom,
Yes and yes.  I finally found the album. (Thanks to my iPad remembering the password)   I needed to scroll to previous albums.
Now that’s a building I may do in large scale.
Your article in MRH was very well done. Thank you for the credit.  I am so appreciative of your work and that of Joe Fugate picking up the torch to follow your work and others in the group.
This group is not a “throw back”.  It is about advancing the art and skill of model railroading by standing on the shoulders of giants and pioneers.  Your modeling is clearly advancing the skill level and inspiration for many to follow.
I’ve been hard at work this time of year in my shop on a large scale scratch structure (no prototype). It will be the small office/Depot of a scrap yard.  Loose Screw Scrap Metal.
Keep posting my friends.
Merry Christmas to the whole group.
Warner

On Dec 23, 2019, at 2:05 PM, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:

Hi Warner,

The album is in our GandD group. Click "Photos" … then click the "Pine Ridge RR - Tom Hokel" album. It's currently the ninth album.

Thanks for the nice comments! I always appreciate them.

Were you able to read my N Scale Angels Camp article in MRH Nov 2019 issue? Thanks again for your photo!

Enjoy the Holidays! A time to remember our first train set, too!

Ken Dodge

Hello Warner,

I seldom post on this group (but follow it religiously) but when I saw your message mentioning your difficulties in keeping track of all of your site passwords, I sympathized with you (Old Fart's memory issues?).  Here's a link to one of Leo Notenboom's articles from his Ask Leo! enewsletter addressing the password issue.  I highly recommend it, and also agree with his endorsement of the LastPass password manager app (I use it myself), although there are other similar apps to consider.

https://askleo.com/why-is-it-so-important-to-use-a-different-password-on-every-site/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=20191203&utm_medium=email&utm_content=featured

I also recommend subscribing to his Ask Leo! enewsletter as he offers many useful ideas and recommendations.  It's published weekly so your Inbox isn't inundated with a ton of his emails.

All the best, and Happy Holidays!

Ken Dodge

Jeffrey L Witt

Fantastic, you really nailed it Tom! That brick paper looks great. I think I have to invest in a good color laser printer, they're pretty cheap now.

David

Tom,

You did an excellent job on the construction!  Can't wait to see your version of the Compressed Space building.

Dave (Dry Gulch & Western)

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Thanks, Jeff … glad you liked it.

I bought an HP LaserJet Pro 400 color M451dn several years. It's been great! For modeling, I've used it for various walls, roofing and flooring … water slide decals … signage/posters … control panels … wiring schematics … and, of course, the backdrop at Great Divide using actual GD slides.

A huge advantage that it has over inkjet printing, other than higher resolution, is that the color doesn't bleed when it comes in contact with water. The cartridges are expensive, but they last a long time.

Thank you for the kind words, David!

Compressed Space LTD should be a fun, interesting and challenging build.