Topics

Has anyone ever modeled the first G&D layout?

Tommy Schwnn

Hi, I'm new to the G&D group and wonder if I could get some advice
from you members. I was an ardent John Allen fan in my early teens
back in 1948-50. After all these years I have gotten back in the
hobby with a passion and my first mission is to try to model some of
those wonderful scenes, Have any of you ever tried to build a layout
like the first, small G&D? My plan is to start with about a 3x5 foot
module recreating the famous Gorre scene. I have a John Allen FSM
kit which will give me a good start. Plus a Scale Structures
turntable kit, and a Timberline Colorado Midland Bridge kit which
looks remarkably similar to Allen's straining beam truss bridge. But
here's my dilemma as I try to plot out the module. First: I could
really use some advice on the dimensions of the Gorre stone viaduct
and any ideas on how to model the stone facing. I've practially worn
out my copy of the Wescott John Allen book looking at the Gorre
scenes. 1. Has anyone ever figured out the dimensions of the
viaduct? If I could get one dimension, I may be able to plot out the
others. 2. Any thoughts on how to model the stone? Would you carve
it out of plaster? (Not sure of my artistic skills.) Or is it a
mosaic of flat tiles, like cardboard chips, painted or plastered
over? I've even thought of buying a bunch of tunnel portals out of
the Walther's catalog, but haven't found anything that looks close
enough. My second question is this: have any of you ever modeled
the sttraining truss bridge? Again, if I could get one demension, I
could probably plot out the others. And has anyone modeled the
supporting towers in the center of the bridge? I know I could put
together something passable out of dowels and scale timbers, but I'd
really like to be as accurate as possible if anybody had any kind of
drawing, photo or other reference. And one last small detail: do
any of you know of a source for miniature bolt heads or nuts that
fasten the timbers together? I've searched through a couple of
catalogs and can't fine anything. Lastly, if any of you G&D fans
have ever attempted to model John Allen's first G&D, I would love to
hear about your experiences. Thanks, Tom Bartholomew

Pat Turner

I did a version of the first G&D in HO years ago. It was done on a 4'x8'
table with a small extension on the front for the turntable. I did it larger
to make the min. radius 18' and still had to force it in a few spots. It got
to the point of running trains with a working Atlas turntable and all
electrical work done. I did not have much luck with the scenery as this was
my first try at it. But, it was a good layout and I had fun with it. It was
the only layout to that date that I ever finished all the track work and
electrical on!
If I were to do it over I would make it about a 5'x9' layout with the
turntable as an addition to that on the front.
I will post some pics of it if I can find them.

Pat Turner, SER/V.P.
www.On30.org
www.Sn3.org

[...]

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to seeing your pix. We plan on
moving in a couple of years, so I'm starting out modestly with a
module about three feet by five so I can take it with us. I plan on
building my FSM John Allen kit with a turntable, and the Gorre
viaduct and bridge behind it. My thoughts are to not try to recreate
his layout (who could, anyway?) but to expand my modules with FSM and
other structures. And as my skills improve, I'm really excited with
the prospect of trying my hand at scratch-building. I really love the
spirit I've seen with George Sellios' kits and his incredible layout--
plus the truly imaginative scratch-building on the narrow gauge
layouts on these sites and in the Gazette. Tom

--- In GandD@..., "www.On30.org" <CandSn3@m...> wrote:
[...]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Pat Turner

I used the plans in the book and the ones in the mags. and made my own
scale rulers to match the scales that John always put in his drawings. I
then scaled all details including bridges etc.. from my measurements.

Pat Turner, SER/V.P.
www.On30.org
www.Sn3.org