Topics

great video of up 4014 - totally unrelated to g & d (but of interest to all railfans)

Kurt Youngmann

This Youtube video makes it look like they were trying to get the Big Boy through an 18” radius HO curve!

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAlK61l6yQI&feature=emb_rel_end>

Enjoy!

Kurt Youngmann

***

“Sunday School: A prison in which children do penance for the evil conscience of their parents.” - H.L. Mencken, A Mencken Chrestomathy, 1949

Randy Lee Decker

I don't have a jealous bone in my body but the guy running that Big Boy sure does give me pause....

  BTW when are they going to STOP dragging that damned Diesel behind that incredible engine..?   It sure does seem to be a perfect rebuild and I am SICK of seeing that smelly metal box a bolts tagging along everywhere this magnificent machine goes.   I am currently installing the dual crossing track down in Port so it is good to see how they had to deal with poor track work or light gauge rail on the real thing.  Does that tie in John Allen into this?

Randy

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 7:59 AM Kurt Youngmann <tgobbi@...> wrote:
This Youtube video makes it look like they were trying to get the Big Boy through an 18” radius HO curve!

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAlK61l6yQI&feature=emb_rel_end>

Enjoy!

Kurt Youngmann

***

“Sunday School: A prison in which children do penance for the evil conscience of their parents.” - H.L. Mencken, A Mencken Chrestomathy, 1949

Kurt Youngmann

Isn’t that a federal regulation? I believe they need the Diesel in case of a breakdown on the steamer. It’s not like the old days when steam locomotive repair was an everyday occurrence.

But I do agree that the Diesel does a lot to destroy the image.

Kurt Youngmann

On May 12, 2020, at 10:12 AM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

BTW when are they going to STOP dragging that damned Diesel behind that incredible engine..?

***

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Garrett Drozd

I believe they need d-engines to supply power  for A/C

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 10:24:08 AM CDT, Kurt Youngmann <tgobbi@...> wrote:

Isn’t that a federal regulation? I believe they need the Diesel in case of a breakdown on the steamer. It’s not like the old days when steam locomotive repair was an everyday occurrence.

But I do agree that the Diesel does a lot to destroy the image.

Kurt Youngmann

On May 12, 2020, at 10:12 AM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

BTW when are they going to STOP dragging that damned Diesel behind that incredible engine..?

***

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Bruce Wilson

The diesel was there to provide additional power as needed, as a backup in case 4014 had a failure and to provide additional braking to reduce the stress on 4014's braking system.

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Life Member NMRA
Member Scale 7 Group Gauge 0 Guild 7mmNGA
Member Bird Studies Canada Ontario Bird Banding Association
Nature Barrie Simcoe County Banding Group

On 5/12/2020 11:12, Randy Lee Decker wrote:
I don't have a jealous bone in my body but the guy running that Big Boy sure does give me pause....

  BTW when are they going to STOP dragging that damned Diesel behind that incredible engine..?   It sure does seem to be a perfect rebuild and I am SICK of seeing that smelly metal box a bolts tagging along everywhere this magnificent machine goes.   I am currently installing the dual crossing track down in Port so it is good to see how they had to deal with poor track work or light gauge rail on the real thing.  Does that tie in John Allen into this?

Randy

Tim Godfrey

I have been told that the diesel is used for braking.  Brake shoes on the 4014 are extremely expensive and the dynamic braking of the diesel keeps brake maintenance on the Big Boy to a bare minimum.  If it is a diesel or no Big Boy due to cost, I will squint and let the diesel go by…..

Sincerely,

Tim Godfrey

G. S. I. Inc.

Manufacturers and Distributors of Aerospace Lighting

3051 Pine Street

Clearwater, Florida 33763-0914

(727) 799-4916 (727)724-0212 fax

Tim.Godfrey@...  www.gsilight.com

Isn’t that a federal regulation? I believe they need the Diesel in case of a breakdown on the steamer. It’s not like the old days when steam locomotive repair was an everyday occurrence.

But I do agree that the Diesel does a lot to destroy the image.

Kurt Youngmann

On May 12, 2020, at 10:12 AM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

BTW when are they going to STOP dragging that damned Diesel behind that incredible engine..?

***

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

John Gallup

You would not think that something so large and powerful could move so delicately. Beautiful!

On Tue, May 12, 2020, at 4:59 AM, Kurt Youngmann wrote:
This Youtube video makes it look like they were trying to get the Big Boy through an 18” radius HO curve!

Enjoy!

Kurt Youngmann

***

“Sunday School: A prison in which children do penance for the evil conscience of their parents.” - H.L. Mencken, A Mencken Chrestomathy, 1949

Randy Lee Decker

Perhaps....  But It seems to me I remember many shots of the Northern and the Challenger and there was no diesel with them.  I figured it was a break-in period...  I figured the break-in period is over by now..  Perhaps not.   Would be interesting to find out why..   I just think it is a bit of an insult to have it there myself.  I take my Steam Engines and their treatment personally..... !   lol!

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 11:24 AM Kurt Youngmann <tgobbi@...> wrote:
Isn’t that a federal regulation? I believe they need the Diesel in case of a breakdown on the steamer. It’s not like the old days when steam locomotive repair was an everyday occurrence.

But I do agree that the Diesel does a lot to destroy the image.

Kurt Youngmann

On May 12, 2020, at 10:12 AM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

BTW when are they going to STOP dragging that damned Diesel behind that incredible engine..?

***

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Keith Roger Beard Trinity

Nice. I did not hear any radio traffic though. I saw some of the guys with radios, but no audio of it on the video. It is easy to receive with a scanner or Ham radio etc.
A simple radio from China for $20 will do it.
There are even streams over the internet.
I like to listen to the Hot-Box detectors when the steam trains go by as they set them off... "STOP YOUR TRAIN! STOP YOUR TRAIN! HOT BOX DETECTED AT AXLE 1 2 AND 3 ETC"  HA HA.

--
Keith Roger-Beard Trinity, owner,  9 Cielo Vista Terrace, Monterey

Randy Lee Decker

I wonder if they have a code name or fun nickname for the Big Boy when using the radio or any of those great steam engines...?

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 3:17 PM Keith Roger <keithtrinity@...> wrote:
Nice. I did not hear any radio traffic though. I saw some of the guys with radios, but no audio of it on the video. It is easy to receive with a scanner or Ham radio etc.
A simple radio from China for $20 will do it.
There are even streams over the internet.
I like to listen to the Hot-Box detectors when the steam trains go by as they set them off... "STOP YOUR TRAIN! STOP YOUR TRAIN! HOT BOX DETECTED AT AXLE 1 2 AND 3 ETC"  HA HA.

--
Keith Roger-Beard Trinity, owner,  9 Cielo Vista Terrace, Monterey

Greg Komar

Kurt, and all…

It may be a requirement by the Union Pacific to have the diesel along “just in case”, but I was told by a couple of friends who witnessed Big Boy’s first big outing last year, that the diesel was just about always in dynamic braking. That “long” 15 car passenger consist is a flyweight compared to what it was designed to do, and Big Boy needs a good load on it to run properly! Who’da thunk??

Greg Komar

gkomar@...

813-453-0997

Airplanes vs Women

Airplanes can be turned on by a flick of a switch.
Airplanes don't get mad if you 'touch and go.'
Airplanes don't object to a preflight inspection.
Airplanes come with manuals to explain their operation.
Airplanes have strict weight and balance limits.
Airplanes can be flown any time of the month.
Airplanes don't come with in-laws
Airplanes don't care about how many other airplanes you have flown.
Airplanes and pilots both arrive at the same time.
Airplanes don't mind if you look at other airplanes.
Airplanes don't mind if you buy airplane magazines.
Airplanes expect to be tied down.
Airplanes don't comment on your piloting skills.
Airplanes don't whine unless something is really wrong.
When airplanes go quiet, it's a bad thing.

[...]

Rick Jones

On 5/12/2020 6:59 AM, Kurt Youngmann wrote:
This Youtube video makes it look like they were trying to get the Big Boy through an 18” radius HO curve!
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAlK61l6yQI&feature=emb_rel_end>
I watched about half of it, up until they started going across the grade crossing. Good thing those steamers had continuously variable throttles and not the 8 notches that diesels have. You couldn't get a diesel to barely creep like that.
It reminded me of 1976 when the Freedom Train was going around. It stopped in my hometown of Anaheim, CA. They put it in the parking lot at Anaheim Stadium, where a spur was built off of the ATSF mainline to bring in materials when the stadium was under construction. There's a pretty sharp curve off of the mainline switch that the big 4-8-4 had to creep around just like in this video. I can remember hearing the rails "ping" as that engine backed around that curve.

--

Rick Jones

You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

Charles Kinzer

I’m not sure, but I think with a diesel-electric for a crawling speed you can use the throttle intermittently.  Or add some braking at the same time.