Topics

Great Divide Lines

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Well sir, that was very kind.   I came so very late to John's story, I know I am going to wish I had answers to things I have not gotten to and the answers may be very hard to find if I don't get moving faster.    The trolley was fun to get running... !  For most of us it is a sight none of us have ever witnessed...

 In reading a great story from Rod Smith I have learned that John had a slow turning, electro-mechanical contact wheel that had some of the wheel having a contact surfaces and some with a dead spots.   From what I am picturing in my mind....  this wheel would turn all the time... and in the sections in front of a designated stop along the route... he had short sections wired to slow the trolley.....  this was due to a resistor wired in and it worked every time the trolley approached a stop.  And then directly over the passenger loading locations, this small, separate block section of track was wired to accept whatever part of the wheel was connected to that section when the trolley hit it.....  either the "contact strip" and the trolley would speed back up and go right by...(leaving passengers to grumble at the miserable motorman..)   or it hit on the "dead spot" and the trolley would stop for the duration of the turn, until the contact strip came into contact again...   Just Brilliant..!  This created a totally random pattern.... !    This was Disney World stuff in the 1950's and 60's.   Dave Cooper played a big part in building all this for John  andwiring all of this up including this wheel devise that most likely was Johns design...  and apparently it did run quite well for the next ten years and would have run many more if not for John's tragic story.   A testament to Dave's excellent work.

 I am in the same spot here John was.  And it makes total sense...I have to get much of this work done along the back wall first.
 Anyway thanks for the support from anyone who stops in and checks on progress, I am a fairly seasoned model builder and this man has me sweating to try and match any of his impressive progress photos.   By this January 1st I should have more of Port and West Divide and Great Divide done well enough and trains running there...
 Then for year #2.... it's off to the races on open framework and rugged scenery of French Gulch and Devils Gulch, Scalp Mountain and some of the eagles nest area.  It is my hope that I will be able to address Gorre.... by skipping over the yard and bridges and all of the original module... on much of the Gorre peninsula....  I will run track around the main line and build Devils Tower and Ryan Trestle and connect them back to Cross Junction.

That work should make for some decent photographs and satisfy my prediction of having something that looks very much like JOhns G&D when you walk into the room.......but I will never be able to fly fast enough to have as much as I thought I might get in two years...  But three.... ??? Well ....  It won't be done but totally worthy of visitors by then.  I'd say I can really push to get this layout done in 5 years and drive the spike.  life will either allow me this unhindered time or hinder me with its tasks.

either way

Randy,

I ditto what Boyd said. I, too, saw your FB photos and videos. It took me awhile to find it, but I have now saved the URL as a favorite. (I have a long list of "Trains" sub-folders.) I don't have a FB account (never will); nevertheless, your page is "open" so I was able to see your material. I just won't be posting any messages.

Your GD Electric line looks great with nice grades. How about some close-up shots of the cobble stone? How did you do that?! It looks like plaster … not plastic sections. How do you plan to color it? It think DC (vs DCC) will serve you well.

RMC ran their "25th Anniversary of the GD Line" issue in January 1972. A year later the GD Line was gone. That makes "GD Land" a 26-year work of art. The advantage we have is that John already did a lot of the planning, designing, experimenting and thinking for us.

Keep up the great work! It's not a race … it's a wonderful journey … and we get to ride along with you!

I didn't mean to slight Jim Findley's contributions to the GD Line, which were significant.

Nice and yes a close up of the stone will be posted...Good point.   Glad you can see the video.  It is certainly not earth shattering but wow... after so many years, to see some life beginning to take shape on that little electric line again it is pretty darn cool.

  I will get a close up of the stones..  The stone coloring is still settling in..  I used a Terra Cotta flavored Air Dry Clay.    There is some fair amount of "orange" color in it... that is fading each day as it dries better.. and with some more brown washes and repairs and rubbing dirt into cracks and sanding down sidewalks and concrete coloring them it is getting better.   They will become a lighter brownish, yellowish cream color in time as my test pieces did after about a month of sitting.

Drew up some Bridge Sketches this morning and I have Andy's Drug Store walls on the workbench, laying out the window cutouts right now, figuring out the placement of 45 degree entrance door and support post. And it's not like any of it can be traced or goes any faster because John designed and built the original years ago.  My bridges might not all be the exact same lengths as johns nor do they grow from the homasote using wizardry and witchcraft...  I think that is important for people to realise... As a model builder for museums; everything I did to present to the public an historically accurate interpretation in a three dimensional, true scale, model exhibit, took endless hours of research and planning and attention to every detail where my own boat would have just been my own boat in a case but for having the ridging rules of "accurate replication" as the purpose behind all the work, my own battle diorama would just be my own battle diorama.  If you see my point.

   As much as John planned the overall design. It is still just as hard to make every building and bridge fit the space I have or to just copy closely for any layout.  A line on a piece of paper does not build a layout no matter who drew the line. With all the fantastic G&D scenes you have Tom I am sure of all people know what I am saying.  In my experience making things look the way someone else did them can be more work in getting things just right, than doing your own designs.   Copying John's plan is no real advantage, it helps to have a general plan to follow and know where I am going... but to copy his work takes great patience and lots of extra work to accomplish convincingly.   I'd say overall..... the advantage of the one, makes the extra work of accurate replication all a wash.  Ex; building a corner skyscraper to look like a steel building can very well be far easier than matching Johns stone design and getting it just right.  If you see my point.

 I want any John Allen fan to have fun of seeing the nuts and bolts of something very similar to what he experienced all those years ago.  It was why I joined and I am glad someone is enjoying it.  it is just a fun way to be able to talk about John's work because I run into trouble sometimes and is fun to figure out.

Randy

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 11:17 AM Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:
[...]

Cobblestone closeup shot..