Topics

Gorre & Daphetid in Sn42 – S Scale Trains

Russell Courtenay

I have been a fan of O scale all my life and actively working in O for nearly 30 years. But the one difficulty of O scale is fitting a decent layout indoors as a loop of standard gauge is a minimum of 8 feet in diameter.

I have been considering selling off all my O scale standard and narrow gauge and investing in S scale equipment.

This brief article is the G & D connection I’ve been thinking about as I am a fan of the 42” gauge Newfoundland Railway.

http://www.s-scale-trains.com/gorre-daphetid-in-sn42/

Just remember that any adjacent trackage may need to be spaced wider in your larger scale to clear larger rolling stock width even if the radius can be as sharp and the cars as short.

I have been a fan of O scale all my life and actively working in O for nearly 30 years. But the one difficulty of O scale is fitting a decent layout indoors as a loop of standard gauge is a minimum of 8 feet in diameter.

I have been considering selling off all my O scale standard and narrow gauge and investing in S scale equipment.

This brief article is the G & D connection I’ve been thinking about as I am a fan of the 42” gauge Newfoundland Railway.

http://www.s-scale-trains.com/gorre-daphetid-in-sn42/

Warner Swarner

Russell,
Just my opinion: anything other than completely replicating the full G&D, Having toured the S scale and Sn3 layouts in the Seattle area twice, they leave me “blown away”. IF I were doing things over as a younger man and had adequate indoor space, S scale would be my choice. Sn3 takes the approximate area of HO yet allows detail AND smooth reliable operation, scenic AND sound realism that is just not there in smaller scales. Again, just my opinion, comparing what I have seen, there is so much You can do with S. Having seen the BEST from New York Islands to California, (from the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream Waters) over 70 plus years, S currently presents a very nice option with all things considered. I will stick with Large Scale, but S scale was made for you and me ....... sorry Woody Guthrie moment.
Warner

On Jan 11, 2020, at 7:05 PM, Russell Courtenay via Groups.Io <walruswebtech=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have been a fan of O scale all my life and actively working in O for nearly 30 years. But the one difficulty of O scale is fitting a decent layout indoors as a loop of standard gauge is a minimum of 8 feet in diameter.

I have been considering selling off all my O scale standard and narrow gauge and investing in S scale equipment.

This brief article is the G & D connection I’ve been thinking about as I am a fan of the 42” gauge Newfoundland Railway.

http://www.s-scale-trains.com/gorre-daphetid-in-sn42/

Thanks Warner,

I needed that. I feel a song coming on. I finally restrung my 12-string guitar left handed so I don’t have to guess where notes are playing it ‘upside down’.

Interesting though: I have been considering a move because many have told me that, like O scale, many S scale collections are ending up in estate sales for good prices. Unfortunately, there is still a lack of variety of models available, unlike O scale: though it is not as prolific as HO, the toy train market is still quite large and some of the modern stuff made for the 3-rail market, though not cheap, is of wonderful quality for scale aficionados like myself.

I am also finding a lack of specific S scale narrow gauge modeling info online, much less than O scale narrow gauge. So research will continue.

I am minimizing my garden railway plans too as our landlord has said he won’t sell, no use putting more work into that, kind of takes the heart out of several years of planning back when he said he would consider selling.

On Jan 11, 2020, at 7:05 PM, Russell Courtenay via Groups.Io <walruswebtech@...> wrote:

I have been a fan of O scale all my life and actively working in O for nearly 30 years. But the one difficulty of O scale is fitting a decent layout indoors as a loop of standard gauge is a minimum of 8 feet in diameter.

I have been considering selling off all my O scale standard and narrow gauge and investing in S scale equipment.

This brief article is the G & D connection I’ve been thinking about as I am a fan of the 42” gauge Newfoundland Railway.

http://www.s-scale-trains.com/gorre-daphetid-in-sn42/

Neil Erickson

I looked at Sn3 pretty hard and bought a few kits. The engines pretty much priced me out as they go for $350-$450 on eBay without decoders or sound. On30 may have fewer options but I’m ok with that and building some old On3 kits with 30” trucks. Keeps my mind from wandering.

George Courtney

I've been S scale standard gauge now for over 20 years.  My druthers was for O scale, but like you, space was the problem.  Biggest problem in S is you have to buy a lot off eBay and steam locos are in short supply.  If you are a diesel fan it's a lot better.  After 25 years in S I have most everything I want now, except I missed out on the G&D boxcar.  HO scale was great for a long time, and can feature more dramatic scenery, but there is just something about the larger locos and cars that seem more realistic.   I have a room 12.5 by 20 and run 39" radius curves with a 2-8-8-2 my biggest steam loco.  I should add if you can handle hi-rail, there are more steam locos to buy.  My 2-8-8-2 was hi-rail but converted to run on scale track.

George Courtney

Russell Courtenay

Thanks for the response. My barn is similar in size 12x18 but inside is 11’4”x17’4” and with storage shelves and such I cannot fit 48” radius, my main loop is 43” with an industrial/ trolley area (actually the original G&D in 6’8”x8’8”) at 24” radius.

In O scale, I cannot run anything big, though my proposed converted K-Line Mikado should do fine, I am limited, and will not be able to run full length passenger cars even on the main loop without a lot of work.

I love modern steam so have set my timeframe at 1929, the beginning of the big steam era but before the GIANTS took over.

I only have 2 sections started so it is decision time for scale choice.

I will only need like 4 standard and 4 narrow gauge locos (which I have now), so will probably have 20 someday...

I grew up in the San Francisco area in the era of smoky old first gen SP diesels and the history of narrow gauge all around me, in Idaho for 30 years, I worked at our local shortline a couple years, now volunteer at Sumpter Valley as a brakeman on the narrow gauge. So I will be running some incongruous first gen diesels too, and plenty of narrow minded stock...

Your name rings a bell: my Grandfather was George Washington Courtenay, because he was born in July 1876 to Scotch-Irish immigrants who said ‘we are going to name our son after a GREAT American!’  He died in 1956, after he retired from SP, many years before I was born.

image1.jpeg

On Jan 12, 2020, at 11:18 AM, George Courtney via Groups.Io <gsc3@...> wrote:

I've been S scale standard gauge now for over 20 years.  My druthers was for O scale, but like you, space was the problem.  Biggest problem in S is you have to buy a lot off eBay and steam locos are in short supply.  If you are a diesel fan it's a lot better.  After 25 years in S I have most everything I want now, except I missed out on the G&D boxcar.  HO scale was great for a long time, and can feature more dramatic scenery, but there is just something about the larger locos and cars that seem more realistic.   I have a room 12.5 by 20 and run 39" radius curves with a 2-8-8-2 my biggest steam loco.  I should add if you can handle hi-rail, there are more steam locos to buy.  My 2-8-8-2 was hi-rail but converted to run on scale track.

George Courtney

Warner Swarner

Russell,
Here is a maybe “dumb” but possible extreme solution.  Might you tunnel through your barn walls and put your return loops literally “outside” your barn. A closed-in tunnel with a removable weather-proof lid would make access reasonable. The barn wall could be easily repaired with two patches in the event of relocating. Being in large scale so many years now, I am always thinking “outside the box”. Someone must have thought up an “outdoor helix” like an enclosed jungle gym, to increase indoor railroad space for you “small scalers”. If you enclosed it, think of the storage space you might add.
Ive got an old child’s wading pool that if inverted would make a perfect roof for a spiral.  I’ve been wanting to experiment with a 12 loop spiral to get my outdoor railroad up to our second story deck and find a use for that old wading pool. Never be Daphetid!
Warner

On Jan 12, 2020, at 1:06 PM, Russell Courtenay via Groups.Io <walruswebtech@...> wrote:

[...]

I have considered that. Actually, my layout plan is a 7 section sectional to be setup fully only out in the yard or at shows as it is an L shape about 27x35’ total, and this does not include any turning loops at the ends!

In my current plan, 1 section will fit into the 43” radius loops in the barn, but if you remove one loop the other 6 sections can be setup in the backyard out the rollup door!

At this point I just want to RUN something so am trying to get the one section into the barn loop and keep the door closed because it is really brisk out there!

Off topic: I’m thinking of another meme: ‘This Isn’t global climate change, this is global latitude change, that wind feels like we are in Wyoming and we all know ‘The Wind Don’t Blow In Idaho’!’

Let me see if I can attach the drawing I’ve shown before of my proposed L shaped layout, I don’t have more than preliminary drawings done of the Barn Loop yet when I approached the quandary of scale change....

https://groups.io/g/GandD/photo/87407/0?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

I actually approached the subject of ‘a hole in the wall’ with a previous landlord in the ‘80’s for my HOn3 Sierra Pacific Coast Railroad to go through a closet and he was fine with it! I ended up dismantling it before I got to that point but don’t really want to stir things up with our current landlord.

Someday we will own our own place again, then I will just have to deal with ‘the lady of the house’ who is pretty easygoing with my hobbies and much better looking!