Topics

Gas Car #60 question

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

 I have been looking at the photo's of #60 and I can make out the basic lettering and have enough info there in the few photos of it to build the car but I can not find a shot that is clear enough to make out the logo (only on the left side) in the middle of the car between the two larger doors.   Looking through previous posts I did not find anything. It does not resemble any logo I have ever seen enough for me to guess what it is.   It does appear to be a bright red background (more of a square set on point rather than a diamond shape) and something that resembles an X from a distance in White.

Randy
randyleedecker@...

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

BTW the best focused photo I found of this car and some really outstanding shots are in Gary's collection of images.  These photos from Gary and Warner and I must assume Fred's also, are a fantastic and different view of the G&D and the candid shots of John in his glory still leave me staring longer than usual at a photo.

Bruce Wilson

It is a Railway Express Agency logo like the one in the attached picture

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Life Member    NMRA
Member    Scale 7 Group    Gauge 0 Guild  7mmNGA
Member Bird Studies Canada   Ontario Bird Banding Association
Nature Barrie      Simcoe County Banding Group
On 5/27/2019 14:24, Randy Lee Decker wrote:

 I have been looking at the photo's of #60 and I can make out the basic lettering and have enough info there in the few photos of it to build the car but I can not find a shot that is clear enough to make out the logo (only on the left side) in the middle of the car between the two larger doors.   Looking through previous posts I did not find anything. It does not resemble any logo I have ever seen enough for me to guess what it is.   It does appear to be a bright red background (more of a square set on point rather than a diamond shape) and something that resembles an X from a distance in White.

Randy
randyleedecker@...

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Ahhh and so it is.   I knew I have seen something like that before.    Many thanks Bruce.

Drew M.

Randy,
   It is a later Railway Express Agency logo.

Drew in Philly

Sent from TypeApp

On May 27, 2019, at 14:24, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

 I have been looking at the photo's of #60 and I can make out the basic lettering and have enough info there in the few photos of it to build the car but I can not find a shot that is clear enough to make out the logo (only on the left side) in the middle of the car between the two larger doors.   Looking through previous posts I did not find anything. It does not resemble any logo I have ever seen enough for me to guess what it is.   It does appear to be a bright red background (more of a square set on point rather than a diamond shape) and something that resembles an X from a distance in White.

Randy
randyleedecker@...

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Fantastic....  I was just trying to find the era...   I have seen the logo but did not recognise it as such on Johns car.
     I am trying very hard to stay away from the 1950's era and keep it 1940's.      If the sign is as late as 1960 then I will go back to a more familiar logo like what I attached.

Minor changes like this to keep the earlier era as accurate as possible are my goal.    On the Great Divide John Allen is alive and well and has a small railroad called the Gorre & Daphetid and some of his engines are being worked on a stored in the Great Divide engine facility while he finalises his negotiations to purchase the railroad and rename it the Gorre & Daphetid.    He figures he can keep the logo from the Great Divide the same... and relettering the cars will not be so bad.
     I think I will have Citizen Kane and the Wolfman playing as a double feature at the Orpheum with banners in the street BTW.  Fun things like that will be included.

Thanks everyone.     I did need help figuring that one out   (what a rookie)....    I really gotta find harder questions for this group.

Randy

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 4:48 PM Drew M. via Groups.Io <phillydrewcifer=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Bill P

I had this in my files from somewhere.

According to Westcott's Roster of Gorre & Daphetid Locomotives, #60 was a gas electric John Allen built in 1950 - bi-directional so it could be run from either end assuming it was not pulling a trailer. It was built to look like an interurban car body and according to the roster was scratch-built except for trucks, pilot and couplers.

# 60 Gas-Electric was Originally numbered 34.

All for now.  bcd9   ∑:=)

Dale Sproule

Hello Gary: I am in the process of making another #60. Can I be of help? Dale Sproule, Calgary

Dale Sproule

Gary: my email is (sproules@...). Dale

Jeffrey L Witt

If it helps, there are some isolated pix of #60 on this site:
https://groups.io/g/GandD/files/Doodlebug_pix

I like the REA Express logo shown in the first photo.

The thing is, that didn’t exist until the early 1960’s and seems out of place on the G&D time-wise.

I remember when the “Railway Express Agency” changed their name to “REA Express” because I was always telling people it must mean “Railway Express Agency Express”.  Sort of redundant.

If it helps, there are some isolated pix of #60 on this site:
https://groups.io/g/GandD/files/Doodlebug_pix

Jeff

Tom Milam

John must have liked it too, wasn’t the photo taken in the sixties anyway! So it must be current to John...........

Tom Milam

On Mar 29, 2020, at 12:08 PM, Charles Kinzer <ckinzer@...> wrote:

I like the REA Express logo shown in the first photo.

The thing is, that didn’t exist until the early 1960’s and seems out of place on the G&D time-wise.

I remember when the “Railway Express Agency” changed their name to “REA Express” because I was always telling people it must mean “Railway Express Agency Express”.  Sort of redundant.

If it helps, there are some isolated pix of #60 on this site:
https://groups.io/g/GandD/files/Doodlebug_pix

Jeff

Dale Sproule

Thankyou for the lead on the G&D photos, Dale

If it helps, there are some isolated pix of #60 on this site:
https://groups.io/g/GandD/files/Doodlebug_pix

I asked about this logo some time ago and I was a bit confused myself by this.  I think some of the kits John had around was one of the Ambroid REA kits....  They have those decals in the kit..   I bet he used them as he must have kitbashed this gas car from some other coach kits and these were just kicking around....   (that's what I am doing anyway) I will use the earlier Red & White Logo.  That Gas Car has ALCO Diesel Side Frames on the front power truck..   Totally wrong for a light weight vehicle like this....  But then John had a hell of a sense of humor and loved to outsmart the experts and I'd almost bet he used this good looking but incorrect truck to see if any of the interurban buff's would catch it when they visited...   That REA Logo is totally 1960's.....  You are right.   I wonder if he did that purposely as well or if he just liked the look of it...?   How will we ever really know.

Only sticklers and super fans like us would care anymore...

Randy