Topics

G&D visit

Al Guckes

AlGuckes . <al.guckes@...>

10:14 PM (1 minute ago)

to GandD@groups.io

I also may have posted this before. I was a Commissioned Officer in the U.S.Public Health Service stationed at the PHS Hospital in San Francisco in 1971-1972. I was doing dental materials research and had a research project for a few days in Fort Ord. The 2nd day the afternoon was free and everybody decided to play golf but me. I called John on the telephone. He asked me what I was doing there and if I was a member of the NMRA. After a short conversation he invited me to visit him and see the G&D. He of course very very gracious and the layout was amazing to see in person with the great backdrops, bridges, buildings and weathered detail. We talked about the state of the hobby including the magazines and personalities. John felt if you buying the magazines for three months you were hooked.  After about one and a half hours I felt guilty about taking up so much of his time and left. He was so gracious to a stranger. I was 32 at the time but along with my twin bother had been seriously  A very good article in the January 1989 article  into the hobby since we were 12. years old. I could not believe my good fortune in actually seeing a layout I read so much about. I was shocked when John passed away and again when I learned about the fire in his house that destroyed the G&D. I wrote in a letter to Model Railroader published in the July 1973 issue that the destruction of the GD was similar to the grandfather clock stopping.

I also had the privilege of visiting John Armstrong's O scale Canandaigua Southern twice while living in Rockville Maryland. John had built a three dimensional reproduction of Edward Hopper's Nighthawks painting into his railroad. just beautiful and lit perfectly. John published an  excellent article "Modeling a Mood" about the painting and his modeling of it in the January 1989 Model Railroader.

Al

Charles Kinzer

Here is your letter that you referenced.  It even got top billing out of three letters posted.  And the editor noted they were representative of many they had received.

And it suddenly made sense to me that you would use a phrase like “void which may never be filled”.

[...]

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Hi Al,

I pulled out  my copy of the Jan 1989 MR issue you mentioned. When I was lighting the structures at Great Divide, Hopper's Nighthawk painting came to mind. Although, my version is a Standard Oil station office .Many of the G&D photos also have a "mood" … they move your feelings … and for me, for a long time.

This MR issue is fantastic! Several legends, including some really nice photos of the G&D. (That was a redundant statement, since all of John's photos are "really nice.")

Thanks for mention that article.

Edited

I went and reviewed that issue, and found a neat item in the product reviews, by Diamond Scale; a garden track tower:

They are still around, and these are listed, so Randy...???

I bought one of their magnificent turntables years ago, and the proprietor seemed pretty senior back then when I spoke to him on the phone about some missing parts. He grumbled about the incompetent helpers he had and shipped the parts right out. It's a nice unit:

By the way, I am sticking with Kadee #4 and #5 (or the whisker version), as their "scale" version has a limited gathering range. I use ramps only (NO PICKS!), with electromagnetic ones where needed for limiting unwanted uncoupling. I use an Arduino to control it; press the button, and it energizes for 10 seconds, and starts blinking for the last 3 seconds, so you can "renew" the 10 seconds if needed with another tap.

Edited

Yes indeed Jeff,   you can still find the Diamond scale stuff including those engine service poles.  I believe Sheepscot might have made a version of these for a time as well.  Or one of the more recent companies that sold cool stuff….

BTW that turntable is looking killer..  !

Randy

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 8:05 PM Jeffrey L Witt via groups.io <jlwitt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I went and reviewed that issue, and found a neat item in the product reviews, by Diamond Scale; a garden track tower:

They are still around, and these are listed, so Randy...???

I bought one of their magnificent turntables years ago, and the proprietor seemed pretty senior back then when I spoke to him on the phone about some missing parts. He grumbled about the incompetent helpers he had and shipped the parts right out. It's a nice unit:

By the way, I am sticking with Kadee #4 and #5 (or the whisker version), as their "scale" version has a limited gathering range. I use ramps only (NO PICKS!), with electromagnetic ones where needed for limiting unwanted uncoupling. I use an Arduino to control it; press the button, and it energizes for 10 seconds, and starts blinking for the last 3 seconds, so you can "renew" the 10 seconds if needed with another tap.

Jeff