Topics

G&D mirrors

Mirrors.... as John said "Expand a lot" not only for his car dealer ship but for his layout in general. Cold Shoulder, Port, Great Divide, Akin - nikA, Port Plastics and others. I am currently seeking ways to use mirrors on my lay out as well as extremely interested in where John used them
--
Russell Desmond

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Russell,

You'll have to study lots of photos … and only then you'll see just a few of them. You might want to start with the MR Dec 1981 article on "The Art of Using Mirrors." Gerry Leone has a great MR article on them, too.

BTW, "Expand-A-Lot" was totted as the "Worlds Largest Parking Lot." I'm using some acrylic mirrors, which are really light weight and easier for me to cut. Unfortunately, you can't score and snap this stuff like styrene plastic.

Using all capital letters you can get "NIKA" reflected as "AKIN" (obviously, the K and N will be backwards). Eleven letters won't be.

I saved this video about mirrors on my YouTube channel, this is not available to the public but is available on Model Railroader’s site for subscribers.

https://youtu.be/wqLlz4Y6YMk

Russell Courtenay- the ‘other’ Russell...😊

July is national what month?

On Jul 28, 2019, at 8:22 AM, Russ Desmond via Groups.Io <capdes101@...> wrote:

Mirrors.... as John said "Expand a lot" not only for his car dealer ship but for his layout in general. Cold Shoulder, Port, Great Divide, Akin - nikA, Port Plastics and others. I am currently seeking ways to use mirrors on my lay out as well as extremely interested in where John used them
--
Russell Desmond

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Russ,

I just stubbled across a Jim Findley comment in RMC 1981 that John claim he had 27 mirrors on the GD and Jim could only count 19. So, there's your target.

I had seen this before; I thought that some of them must violate one of John's rules, as it seems you would be able to see your own reflection in some of them.

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Let me qualify that ... “Worlds Largest Underground Parking Lot.”

Thanks Russell good video and informative