Topics

G&D boxcar with Latino Bandito

Russell Courtenay

A good friend gave me some cars, included among them was this G&D boxcar missing a door but including a Latino Bandito.

Though I don’t do HO, this will be going in a display!

Bruce Wilson

That is the Athearn car the NMRA did for their Heritage series a number of years ago.  Standard Athearn blue box door if you want to try and find one.

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Life Member NMRA
Member Scale 7 Group Gauge 0 Guild 7mmNGA
Member Bird Studies Canada Ontario Bird Banding Association
Nature Barrie Simcoe County Banding Group

On 12/8/2019 23:56, Russell Courtenay via Groups.Io wrote:
A good friend gave me some cars, included among them was this G&D boxcar missing a door but including a Latino Bandito.

Though I don’t do HO, this will be going in a display!

I have that same boxcar. It's a Roundhouse …and one of their many G&D series. The "box" easily lifts off the frame. The number 5600 and the steps are a big clue.The "box" lifts off the frame.

Also, it may be the first commercial GD car ever offered. At least it was the first I ever saw … and purchased.

It is likely painted in some standard boxcar red color they used for others.  Perhaps buy some other one to get a replacement door?

I have that same boxcar. It's a Roundhouse …and one of their many G&D series. The "box" easily lifts off the frame. The number 5600 and the steps are a big clue.The "box" lifts off the frame.

Also, it may be the first commercial GD car ever offered. At least it was the first I ever saw … and purchased.

Going through boxes of track given to me I found another box of cars with yet more treasures. These appear to be the MDC Roundhouse offerings. Not too sure about the very detailed VMR woodside hopper.

I want to build a small display that will sit on top of the piano with a bit of scenery but it looks like the display will be getting a bit bigger as I put away my temp On30 setup. Now to find an ex Sierra Ry 2-6-6-2 to go with them...

On Dec 8, 2019, at 9:56 PM, Russell Courtenay via Groups.Io <walruswebtech=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

A good friend gave me some cars, included among them was this G&D boxcar missing a door but including a Latino Bandito.

Though I don’t do HO, this will be going in a display!

<image1.jpeg>

Jeffrey L Witt

Absolutely the Roundhouse offering, one of first release of G&D commemoratives in September 1981: this boxcar, the black ore car, and the green Overton combine, kit #s 1000, 1001, and 1002.

The figure is a Campbell/Weston figure, available on their website:

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

That PMR ore car sure looks like a Gould/Tichy Train Group car.

Thank you! ¡Eso se que es!

I was thinking the steel boxcar wasn’t Athearn because of the low-relief plastic underframe, Athearn used one with an exposed metal weight, we had many of these as kids, we only had the MDC ‘old timers’, similar to the other 2 cars with thread truss rods. Also the trucks are the same.

Also shown are several of the scratchbuilt and detailed flatcars I got. I built a few of these in HOn3 years ago, so light they wouldn’t stay on the track without a load, so I planned on rebuilding them with solid 1/16” brass decks, went back to O scale instead...

image1.jpeg

On Dec 15, 2019, at 7:56 AM, Jeffrey L Witt via Groups.Io <jlwitt@...> wrote:

Absolutely the Roundhouse offering, one of first release of G&D commemoratives in September 1981: this boxcar, the black ore car, and the green Overton combine, kit #s 1000, 1001, and 1002.

The figure is a Campbell/Weston figure, available on their website:

<pancho.JPG>