From: okrasaghia [mailto:okrasaghia@...]
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 1:07 PM
To: GandD@...
Subject: [GandD] G&D 50 years celebration

Hi friends!
I've added scans from the March 1951 Model Railroader article to the
GDfiles group. Followed the same principal as the other scans with
small previews in the Photos sections and larger downloadable in the
Files section.
Hope you will enjoy them.

okrasaghia

When the article was published it was the 50 year celebration
according to G&D time, hence the reference.

Quote from "This Month", p.3 MR March 1951 (magazine of the article);

ACCORDING to the scale-time calendars in use on John Allen's Gorre &
Daphetid RR, the line has been in existence for 50 years. This fact
was called to our attention during a visit to the office recently by
Barnum N. Baily, publicity director of the G&D. Mr. Baily went on to
say that the G&D "had performed colossal feats of engineering and had
invented a stupendous new tourist attraction that doubled passenger
traffic on the line." We stopped the rolling barrage of adjectives
long enough to ask Mr. Baily to be specific, a nasty thing to say to
any publicity man. "What," we asked, "is this colossal engineering
feat?"
"Why, the narrow gauge Devil's Gulch & Helengon. It's just about
finished, and never in all the history ..."
We stopped him again. "How about stupendous new tourist attraction?"
"Why," he said, aghast, "haven't you heard?" We've doubled all
scenery on the Gorre & Daphetid by using mirrors! The scenery used to
be magnificent. Now," he said with triumphant finality, "it's
overwhelming." And with that he dropped a cluster of photographs onto
the desk. You'll see them in the photo story starting on page 10.

(see the GDfiles photos and files sections)

--- In GandD@..., "Clayton, Paul D" <paul.d.clayton@l...>
wrote:

My thanks for scanning and then posting the article!

One small item about the '50 year celebration' clause...

Since various articles had said the G&D ran on a 12 to 1 clock,
wouldn't
this be the 600th year celebration?

pdc

I've added scans from the March 1951 Model Railroader article to the
GDfiles group. Followed the same principal as the other scans with
small previews in the Photos sections and larger downloadable in the
Files section.
Hope you will enjoy them.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/