Topics

G&D 2-6-6-2s was: great video of up 4014

Russell Courtenay

Though I have enjoyed the OT discussion, I’ve been thinking of the G&D connections here:

G&D had several articulateds: 2 were former Sierra Railroad 2-6-6-2s, John may have seen these in operation himself in his travels. These ‘Logging mallets’ are my favorite standard gauge articulateds.

Has anyone tried to make a pretty good copy of the G&D versions of these?

I don’t do HO anymore but since I now have a few G&D HO cars and (of course) many friends who have HO layouts, I want to have a G&D HO train to run so have been looking for a Sierra Railroad 2-6-6-2. Several manufacturers made them in brass and they come up at auctions for between $150 and $300 pretty regularly, one just has to end when I have the funds available...

On May 13, 2020, at 10:57 AM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

Well for what its worth this is all off topic anyway...  but I simply posted the facts of the study..... nothing to debate really...  and they are pretty revealing.  Diesels LOST hands down across the board against these new Super Engines from ALCO.   Steam Technology could not be taken any further than this really.  Other than the small nuclear reactors to create steam for a turbine.... The only real difference that totally killed Steam on all the big roads... was the highly skilled labor needed to keep them running and the wages that were growing exponentially with the industrial boom after WWII.   A kid could run a diesel....

The most interesting story is the 2-6-6-2's that Russell has info about being sold to South America...  I did not know much about any of that.     It's good to see the enthusiasm for something in here..    Some of the more direct John Allen related posts get only a few comments...

The nice thing about the Brass Sierras is the price...  I think these engines may have been one of the highest production number brass imports of all time.  Sort of like the Westside Models run of K-27's.  they just flooded their own market it seems....  Anyway even if not... they are everywhere and yes often quite cheap.

    Dave Gorelle's page on the GDLines.org site shows some fantastic decal work.  I think Tom Hokel and some of the other HO G&D modelers have nice versions as well.  Tom has been explain the different font and sizes John used on his engines. We both seem to think he had various decals and dry transfers and used what he had and made changes all the time.  I know it is going to be hard for me to get every engine lettered perfectly..  in fact I am pretty sure I won't.  There's just so much to do as it is...  The one Sierra he did not modify much at all.  The other he took the led and trailing trucks off...  I found an old aristocraft brass 0-6-6-0 that looked pretty close, so I will use that rather than take the time to follow John's exact work there.

Also Kenichi Matsumoto the man who restored the engines for the museum has some really nice engine work for the G&D....  if I can find the link I will post it.

John's good friend Glenn Beier took some of the best photographs of these engines and they are in more than one of his books.   I would think John must have taken a trip to go see these.  I also find their shape and size makes for a fantastic looking engine and articulated engines are just plain fun to watch run anyway.

Randy

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 1:09 PM Russell Courtenay via groups.io <walruswebtech=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Rick Jones

On 5/13/2020 12:09 PM, Russell Courtenay via groups.io wrote:
G&D had several articulateds: 2 were former Sierra Railroad 2-6-6-2s, John may have seen these in operation himself in his travels. These ‘Logging mallets’ are my favorite standard gauge articulateds.
Has anyone tried to make a pretty good copy of the G&D versions of these?
I don’t do HO anymore but since I now have a few G&D HO cars and (of course) many friends who have HO layouts, I want to have a G&D HO train to run so have been looking for a Sierra Railroad 2-6-6-2. Several manufacturers made them in brass and they come up at auctions for between $150 and $300 pretty regularly, one just has to end when I have the funds available...
I got one of the Sierras a couple of years ago after one of the local MMRs passed and his stuff was being liquidated. It was a fixer upper so I got it for $50. Also got a DSP&P 2-6-6-0 fixer upper for another $50. I was going to paint and letter it for my (non-existent) railroad, the lake Erie & Oregon, but now you've got me thinking about doing it as a G&D. I do have a couple of sheets of G&D decals that someone was selling a while back (not the NMRA decals) so it wouldn't be hard to do. And it would probably be a hit to run it at the club after adding a decoder to it.

--

Rick Jones

If they had found gold in California 20 years later than they
did, the San Francisco football team would be called the 69'ers.