Topics

G and D Curve Radius and Audio

cottonwoodhobbies@...

One thing I have never seen mentioned anywhere is what radius curves the G and D used. I have seen several mentions of Sims loop over Squawbottom being the tightest radius on the mainline but never and mention of what the radius was...

Does anyone have anything of John Allen on audio? I figure the movies made of the G and D were silent but there was mention in 'The Book' of an audio recorder set up at some operating sessions...

Russell - Idaho USA
http://www.narrowgaugenews.net

---

MacMail - the Webmail service especially for Mac users worldwide
http://www.macmail.com

Jeffrey L Witt

I recall (from somewhere) that Sims Loop was 26" radius.....

The following tape is available for loan from the NMRA; has anyone
seen it? I assume it has John speaking on it.

Regards,

MODEL PHOTOGRAPHY

John Allen
Scenery and Layout Photography, 1969
VV 23 Videotape, VHS, 37 min. (VP53 in AAR)
A professional explains secrets of color photography including
nighttime effects. Proper lighting is explained in steps with clear
narration. This clinic shows detailed close-ups of a famous model
railroad.

--- In GandD@..., <cottonwoodhobbies@m...> wrote:
One thing I have never seen mentioned anywhere is what radius
curves the G and D used. I have seen several mentions of Sims loop
over Squawbottom being the tightest radius on the mainline but never
and mention of what the radius was...

Does anyone have anything of John Allen on audio? I figure the
movies made of the G and D were silent but there was mention in 'The
Book' of an audio recorder set up at some operating sessions...

Russell - Idaho USA
http://www.narrowgaugenews.net

---

MacMail - the Webmail service especially for Mac users worldwide
http://www.macmail.com

okrasaghia

Linn's book has the answer to your first question.

P.87; 'minimum radius on the main line was 26" (at Sims Loop), with a
branchline minimum radius of 14"'

Other key figures in the same passage; 14 tunnels, six passings
ranging from 6.5' to 13' and ten towns. 370' mainline, 720' total
trackage.

P.110 shows John's letterhead with the schematic G&D diagram where
the minmum radius is stated as 32".

Personally I believe the letterhead to be later and therefore more
accurate.

Your second question about audios of John;
The Sunday River Production video has sound but I don't recall
anything said by John in it. It could very well be that the sound has
been added later and is not actually recorded when the film was taken
though some of it is I think.

--- In GandD@..., <cottonwoodhobbies@m...> wrote:
One thing I have never seen mentioned anywhere is what radius
curves the G and D used. I have seen several mentions of Sims loop
over Squawbottom being the tightest radius on the mainline but never
and mention of what the radius was...

Does anyone have anything of John Allen on audio? I figure the
movies made of the G and D were silent but there was mention in 'The
Book' of an audio recorder set up at some operating sessions...

Russell - Idaho USA
http://www.narrowgaugenews.net

---

MacMail - the Webmail service especially for Mac users worldwide
http://www.macmail.com

Darryl Huffman

John produced a audiotape/slide clinic with accompanying audio for the NMRA
for the best way to utilize your available space. I saw this about about
1975. I had met and talked to John at his house, but I never really paid
any attention to the audio on the tape/slide clinic to see if it was
actually John or not. But---I can't see any reason for someone else to read
his script as he did not have any speech problems.

Darryl Huffman
Anchorage, Alaska

Like to see my hobby?
www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com