Topics

Expanded edition John Allen Book

Al Guckes

I have the first edition. What was added to the expanded edition?

Al Guckes

Charles Kinzer

It  has 16 added pages.  4 are a list of John Allen articles (provided by Jeff Witt and his list is now much longer).  12 are John Allen photos from Pacific Fast Mail catalogs and advertisements (provided by me).

It seemed inexplicable why PFM advertising photo work was absent from the original book when the Varney RMC ads were not.

Also, the book is printed on very good paper.  The color quality looks excellent to me and I compared pages side by side with a Kalmbach copy.

For those looking for an even more obscure version, there was a reprint done in French:

I have the first edition. What was added to the expanded edition?

Al Guckes

Russell Courtenay

16 pages of PFM ads, etc.

The main benefit of the Expanded Edition is it is basically a copy of the excellent 1996 hardcover edition- excellent quality photographs and high quality paper. If that matters to you- sell off your old one (or keep it for the memories) and use the Expanded Edition for photographic reference.

On Aug 29, 2020, at 11:30 AM, alguckes2001 via groups.io <alguckes@...> wrote:

I have the first edition. What was added to the expanded edition?

Al Guckes

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Hi Chuck,

Varney was out of business by the time "The Book" was published in ~April 1981; however, PFM wasn't. Kalmbach isn't into free advertising (promoting) and maybe they didn't want to get into copyright issues. They may have also need quality photographs. There were certainly some great John Allen photos in them.

One other thing about those earlier editions of the PFM catalogs. It's clear to me that John sketched those backgrounds. Take a look at the structures. He would have used cardstock, which probably ended as walls and roofs on some of his buildings.