However, there may be a salesman in the color photo on  page 12 of the book.   Likewise, there may be a salesman in the photo at the top of page 93.  When looking at that photo under magnification, I can discern a rope hanging straight down from the prominent tree near the left end of the girder bridge.

Don M.
=================

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 01:26 PM, Bob Friddle wrote:
I loved the story about MR/Lynn Wescot not showing the hanging diesel salesman, though I'm not sure it's true; as I recall, the pic was in his book...
toggle quoted messageShow quoted text

-----Original Message-----
From: GandD@groups.io [mailto:GandD@groups.io] On Behalf Of Rick Jones via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 3:01 PM
To: GandD@groups.io
Subject: Re: [GandD] Any Ah ? Whimsical, Rebellious, Naughty, Funny or Downright Obnoxious/Annoying Scenes on YOUR LAYOUT - Hidden or Not ? or Neat and Tidy ?

On 6/18/2019 12:54 PM, James Bab cock via Groups.Io wrote:
?? ?? Truman answered General McArthur's question about PC **//___^
Truman:

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream
media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible
to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Except the quote is fake and has been debunked. The Truman Library has no record of any such correspondence between Truman and MacArthur.
--

Rick Jones

Greg Johnson

This reminds me of the debate over whether or not to add spray-can graffiti to the lower sides of rolling stock. Yes, it's prototypical, but also a marker of social decay to some modelers.
Were he alive today, would John Allen have added graffiti to his cars?
I once visited a large basement pike that featured several scenes of female nudity and sex acts. Sure, they were HO scale figures and unobtrusive, but to me, they seemed in bad taste. Hey, it was that modeler's world.
- Greg

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

I doubt John would have ever gone with the modern day cars where Graffiti became prevalent.  So no need to deal with this worry for John.  Many of us try and keep to the edge of the diesel era...  John was determined to stay all Steam.   The point of hanging the Diesel salesman was all part of the proof that John was simply representing the sentiments of many "REAL" engineers and railroad men of the day.
 Now I'd agree that the Sex Clubs or Nude women are just tacky on a payout and sort of cringeworthy..  There are always ways to "go to far" but to try and wash ANY funny moment away because of the pc police well...  I'd say this is part of the reason we build miniature FAKE worlds.   To hide a woman swimming naked in a pond and having some boys hiding in the bushes watching, would be a depiction of real life or some girls stealing the cloths of some naked boys...  I can see the humor...   Not the sort of scene I would bother with but totally of human interest.

 As for the Sorfeetz Gang... They are a total must have.  And I see nothing wrong with them...   I think adults can find the hilarity in the Bandito stereotype. We know the difference.  Does anyone believe everyone of mexican heritage was like this?  Of course not.  Ya know the truth of it is there is some volume of evidence of the "bandito" scenario in american history along the border with this depiction. And Pancho Via sort of engrained this image into culture on his own ya know.   It seems to me as long as the guys are shown with the upper hand in a scene, well then I think even someone with mexican heritage would find the humor in this.   A fat Sombrero wearing bandit is no worse than a fat white conductor who can hardly do his job and not break the rolling stock.

The world has got to learn to lighten up...  Seriously...  Laughing at yourself is the best damned medicine there is to this incessant need for PC....

   Now do I find someone depicting anyone with northern european heritage as a tall, white, bearded, bloviating, fur wearing, horn helmeted, wannabe conqueror  with a lust for rape, pillaging, meat, murder, beer, swords, all the while displaying a total lack of hygiene, culture, education and grooming techniques, funny.?   Hell yes ...!   It's so wrong it just hilarious.   So if I can have the Sorfeetz bro's hanging a diesel salesman then I'd say it's ok as long as I have some viking looking morons jumping out of a long boat and chasing some poor woman who was just out for a walk.

 IMHO..