Topics

DG&H Narrow Gauge Pony Truss bridge over Sowbelly Creek

Matt Hosford

All,
I was wondering if anyone has attempted a recreation of this bridge.  Here are links to the pictures I have found.  Still looking for a closeup.....the bridge is in the background just over Ryans trestle in the first link...

DG&H truss bridge over Sowbelly creek
Showing bridge "ajar" with no rails...
just past the oil derrik....only close up I have found
july 56 showing three legged support.....

Looks like John used two chords on the top and only one below.  Not judging his design just trying to get close in my attempt.  Also, the vertical compression timbers on the outside seem to be at a slight angle?

Any info or opinions about this bridge would be appreciated....

Thanks in advance

Matt Hosford
Wurn & Whythyrd Lines

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

When your done researching let me know what you find..  I will be hitting that back wall this winter...

I love those timber supports....

Randy

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 8:15 AM Matt Hosford <8ballracing@...> wrote:
All,
I was wondering if anyone has attempted a recreation of this bridge.  Here are links to the pictures I have found.  Still looking for a closeup.....the bridge is in the background just over Ryans trestle in the first link...

DG&H truss bridge over Sowbelly creek
Showing bridge "ajar" with no rails...
just past the oil derrik....only close up I have found
july 56 showing three legged support.....

Looks like John used two chords on the top and only one below.  Not judging his design just trying to get close in my attempt.  Also, the vertical compression timbers on the outside seem to be at a slight angle?

Any info or opinions about this bridge would be appreciated....

Thanks in advance

Matt Hosford
Wurn & Whythyrd Lines

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Matt,

Most of this bridge span was carried over from Layouts 1 & 2. Check the black and white photos of them. Looks like the through truss was a deck truss on Layout 2. As far as we know, no HOn3 rails were laid on it.

Randy, check the "earlytrack.jpg" photo on Layout 1. Sure looks like John used both balsa ties and sections of balsa in the tunnel.

So it does....   Nice find Tom.... The ties look like he just spread them out as the realism was not needed in the tunnels and he would have done this regardless of the sound deadening benefits... but the value of this makes total sense, so why not do it anyway if but for sound......... less surface contact makes for less sound from vibration.    It does look like sheet balsa in there also.

Either way... this is great photo I've only glanced at in the past....  It is the tiny model that I can not stop staring at.   My god...     What a wonderful little piece of craftsmanship...  Interesting that some version of Port is almost visible there even though he did not make that area the city he has in the model for the second layout.    I was thrilled to see some of these tiny modules survived the fire (somewhat)

  Randy

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 11:32 AM Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:
Matt,

Most of this bridge span was carried over from Layouts 1 & 2. Check the black and white photos of them. Looks like the through truss was a deck truss on Layout 2. As far as we know, no HOn3 rails were laid on it.

Randy, check the "earlytrack.jpg" photo on Layout 1. Sure looks like John used both balsa ties and sections of balsa in the tunnel.

Murphy P

Greetings, and hope this helps. Wishing everyone a great weekend!

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 8:50 AM Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:
[...]

GDLines.org is the most incredible place to honor John Allen ever contrived in this life.     I just went through some of these early photographic archives of John's model building life and I am once again totally BLOWN AWAY with what is there.
I want to tip my hat to EVERYONE who created this website..!    I don't think we can praise this work enough.

I'd like to hear from the "Friends" and/or "Operators" and Visitors to Johns layout about what they think of this effort and it's amazing way to tell Johns story...!
I hear many of the memories of Johns place...  They are priceless in and of themselves....  but I have NEVER ONCE heard anyone in the time I have been here mention this site or the treasures therein.    It seems that in looking at photographs "selflessly" shared for all of our benefit would spark more memories and perhaps even funny stories or remembrances of some scene or building technique John was using while they were there.

Kurt, Don  (You two are in here right now and speaking)  And any of the guys who called John a "Friend" and  SHARE stories and help us understand John Allen better...    Please let us know....   "What do you think of the sharing of these collections of photographs and the images of treasures from Johns past and John's early history as well and the GDLines.org site in general.    Did they get it right?

Matt  Here's a nice shot of this.... ya have to search the bottom left.. but it's pretty clear what he did.  And there is a nice shot of these in the background from his Second layout...  I will try and find it.
  http://www.gdlines.org/GDLines/GD_Galleries/The_Slides/Set_01/slides/s1_015_bridge_july59-orig.html

http://www.gdlines.org/GDLines/GD_Galleries/Planning/slides/widetalljpg-orig.html

Ahhhh   thats "Bottom Right".....  must be dislexick dislksic dislexyc dysleksick.....  get port and starboard backward....

Matt Hosford

Edited

Tom,
That was the direction to go....TY

Murphy P
Thank you, as well the for the pics and drawlings very helpful.

Randy,  I agree that we may all be a little guilty of click and go and forget the selfless individuals that have contributed their time and resources as well as shared their stories of the G&D and John.
I can think of countless and thankless time that I have spent enjoying the work "John's Crew" has done for all of us.  I believe we all possess the passion that John shared with everyone through his modeling and photography.   I think John would get a kick that we are all still finding new and interesting things. Some for the first time and some just re-discovered.,

A big humble thank you and Hats off to all these Gentlemen past and present along with everyone here that keep the G&D running......

To stay on topic...I have the first truss glued up!... will post pic a little later........thanks again all for all the help on this....

ok.....back to my corner now to stain some more stir sticks.......
--
Matt Hosford
Wurn & Whythyrd Lines

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Matt did you get the photos I sent along?

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 7:54 PM Matt Hosford <8ballracing@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Tom,
That was the direction to go....TY

Murphy P
Thank you, as well the for the pics and drawlings very helpful.

Randy,  I agree that we may all be a little guilty of click and go and forget the selfless individuals that have contributed their time  and resources as well as shared their stories of the G&D and John.
I can think of countless and thankless time that I have spent enjoying the work "John's Crew" has done for all of us.   I believe we all possess the passion that John shared with everyone through his modelig and photography.     I think he would get a kick that we are all still finding new and interesting things. some for the first time and some just rediscovered.,

A big humble thank you and Hats off to you all you Gentlemen along with all that keep the G&D running......

To stay on topic...I have the first truss glued up!... will post pic a little later........thanks again all for all the help on this....

ok.....back to my corner now to stain some more stir sticks.......
--
Matt Hosford
Wurn & Whythyrd Lines

Well other than the one I sent..... it looks like you found them.     The shot of it just past the oil derrick in your first group is the best one.
     I am glad he salvaged that bridge, or part of it, from the second layout.   I do like the design.. not sure if I have ever seen anything quite like it before.

Randy

Murphy P

Brunel's Timber Viaduct is close and lasted to the late 1950's or this Civil War period bridge, which was also a real bridge, but cant find the photo. However the Civil War bridge was only there for a few decades before a truss bridge replaced it

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 7:01 PM Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:
Well other than the one I sent..... it looks like you found them.     The shot of it just past the oil derrick in your first group is the best one.
     I am glad he salvaged that bridge, or part of it, from the second layout.   I do like the design.. not sure if I have ever seen anything quite like it before.

Randy

Matt Hosford

Edited

Randy,
Yes, thank you.... excellent!
--
Matt Hosford
Wurn & Whythyrd Lines

Boy I love this group as I can log on here just about every day and find new pictures of the G&D that I have never seen before. I was limited to "The Book" since the early 80's and the odd MR article this group is an embarrassment of riches and a true eye opener to the genius of JWA

Charles Kinzer

I think most of the photos are at the www.gdlines.org site.  If you want to spend a LOT of time looking at John Allen photos, most never published, visit there.

Then, when you REALLY have more time, go to http://witt-family.com/gorre-and-daphetid/G&D_Files.htm which now probably has most of the published articles, photos, and letters ever created by or about John Allen and the G&D.  Including in foreign languages like from Japan and England.

Boy I love this group as I can log on here just about every day and find new pictures of the G&D that I have never seen before. I was limited to "The Book" since the early 80's and the odd MR article this group is an embarrassment of riches and a true eye opener to the genius of JWA

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Russ, the selfless and frees haring of Johns story here and on GDLines.org is the only reason any of us can see and learn so much more than the book could ever hope to tell. Linn did an excellent job to honor John's story.    but without the friendship and LOVE of John Allen's story and the desire to see it told for everyone, we'd still be forced to BUY whatever Klamback might feel was profitable enough to print.

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 11:07 AM Russ Desmond via Groups.Io <capdes101=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Boy I love this group as I can log on here just about every day and find new pictures of the G&D that I have never seen before. I was limited to "The Book" since the early 80's and the odd MR article this group is an embarrassment of riches and a true eye opener to the genius of JWA

Matt Hosford

Edited

Some progress photos of the NG truss.....The design is based on the Gorre truss and the one over Sowbelly creek on the final G&D.

Materials:
Tilebond carpenters glue and some Aleene's tacky glue, diagonal braces and the top tention plates are two different size coffee stir sticks, the upper and lower chords are1/8" x 3/16" basswood and the remaining timbers are 1/8" square bass, tension rods made from .020 brass wire painted 3 colors with nbw castings from Grandit, stain is mostly Campbells tie stain (40 years old for the creosote look) and some Hunterline brown, the weathering is rustolenum primer and Bradgon powders......gondola is a Talmaco kit....

Overall, I am happy with the way it is coming along.  It turned out a little bigger then I first envisioned but will work just fine.  I still have to spike the rail, attach the tie structure and build the abutment shoe's / timber.

Thanks again for all the help and direction on this.

...now where are my damm spikes!

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Hey....  now that is a bridge.    Just love wood bridges..!     Makes me want to jump ahead...  I have been working in plastic and painting and weathering heavy steel girders and thin lace truss bridges for a while now.    Nice to see some work on the bench Matt, always a great feeling when one project gets a check mark ........

Randy

Matt Hosford

Edited

Thanks Randy nothing better then Timber and Iron.

  My son and I are really enjoying seeing the work on your Great Divde Lines.....some really amazing stuff coming out or your shops...

  I myself hope someday to be able to work that new fangeled styrene like yourself...I guess I will have to start stock piling plastic stir sticks now...lol

Take care and thanks again
--
Matt Hosford
Wurn & Whythyrd Lines