Topics

Devils Gulch and Helengone RR

Loco Horns...
Once upon a time .....earlier in the summer, we had a discussion concerning the antlers on Johns narrow gauge RR Locomotive. No one knew where the idea came from and there was much speculation as to where to  find a photo of a prototype locomotive thus decorated. Well our old friend you tube solved this one ....well ..... sort of, In the 1957-1958  TV season there was a TV show that was called Casey Jones who ran the "Cannonball"  a 4-6-0 Rogers type . Casey was played by Alan Hale before he became Gilligan's skipper. The Loco carried the antlers throughout the series run but in the episode 1 there was a race between two locos with shots of the antlers throughout looking just like Johns. but as for the rest of the story Johns narrow gauge line predates the TV show by 8-9 years so perhaps they were copying the G&D instead.
Who said the horse must come first?

187 Bleecker

There are photo's In many of the books on logging railroading. Many of those engines display many sets of antlers mounted up on the headlights or number plates.   So I don't think there was ever any confusion about where the idea came from.
  I remember someone wanted to know if John was the "first" who used this idea on a scale model engine.  And I think he was.    But it would be fun to see if anyone can find an earlier photo of someone layout or build photo in an earlier model railroading magazine, than the one from Johns second layout that was mentioned in that thread.

I think that photo of Johns layout predates the TV season you are thinking of by a few years at least.

wbswarner

I Googled “train engines with antlers” and found several vintage photos as well as multiple contemporary images of the practice.  It certainly is not anything recently created.  Some photos look like 1890’s vintage.

image1.png

Warner Swarner

image2.png