Topics

Daphetid Depot and Texas and Rio Grande Western


Murphy P
 

The Daphetid Depot, here is an O scale version based on the little depot that was near Southern Pacific tracks in northern California. Was this on the GD in the 1970's? I see photos of it on and off the layout from:


Did the depot get removed in the 1970s as I recall reading John thought the depot was too big for what had become a stub branch line and not a through line and gave it to Bill McClanahans for his layout Texas and Rio Grande Western, which became the Keechi Station.

This is why after Bills death Jim Findley was able to get it and why the depot has had two names, Daphetid and Keechi, which then became Bodie on Jim's layout as I recall.

So did the GD have any freight cars from the Texas and Rio Grande Western on John's layout and when was the Daphetid Depot removed?


Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>
 

Murphy Gary Wernick has some.. They are labeled Daphetid    Page two of Warners photos there is one with Fred standing in front of the curved trestle... if you go to "The Slides   go to set 01  second page  http://www.gdlines.org/GDLines/GD_Galleries/The_Slides/Set_01/slides/s1_026_daphetid_oct67.html

I am sure I have seen more somewhere as well 


Murphy P
 

Thank you for the link Randy and after work I looked through my mountain of magazines, which yielded photos of Johns buildings on the Texas and Rio Grande Western from the October 1974 RMC, like the Leming Compressed Gas Co from Andrews and the Daphetid Depot from the Gorre area, plus a GD/ALP Bulline cattle car. In one of the captions it says Jim Findley built the depot, so here is a photo of the Daphetid Depot away from the home rails of the Gorre & Daphetid


On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 3:24 PM Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:
Murphy Gary Wernick has some.. They are labeled Daphetid    Page two of Warners photos there is one with Fred standing in front of the curved trestle... if you go to "The Slides   go to set 01  second page  http://www.gdlines.org/GDLines/GD_Galleries/The_Slides/Set_01/slides/s1_026_daphetid_oct67.html

I am sure I have seen more somewhere as well 


Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)
 

Murphy,

You have a pretty good memory.

Findley built two of these stations! See,  MR Nov 1983 – Spreckels Station Odyssey. 
The first was on John's layout. Second was a lighted version and replaced the first on the GD. The first was given to Bill Mc. Findley then bought it at an estate sale and put it at Bodie on his layout.

I was crazy enough to build two of them, too … at the same time!
--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR


Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>
 

All in all, that is a fantastic little building.  I honestly am surprised this little gem was not on many model railroads and many modelers built this station.  I'd like to have it even of it was not part of the G&D...

It also showcases just how good paper brick can look.   I will have to build this one someday Tom, hope I nail it like you did.    Wish you built three..  I'd trade ya for the Archives building .. 

Murphy if you ever can't find your magazine copy they are in full color on the gdlines site.     Jeff has downloaded most anything and everything you can think of into those pages somewhere...  

Randy

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 9:14 PM Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:
Murphy,

You have a pretty good memory.

Findley built two of these stations! See,  MR Nov 1983 – Spreckels Station Odyssey. 
The first was on John's layout. Second was a lighted version and replaced the first on the GD. The first was given to Bill Mc. Findley then bought it at an estate sale and put it at Bodie on his layout.

I was crazy enough to build two of them, too … at the same time!
--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR


Rick Jones
 

On 8/5/2019 8:14 PM, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) wrote:
Murphy,
You have a pretty good memory.
Findley built two of these stations! See, *MR Nov 1983 ??? Spreckels Station Odyssey.*
The first was on John's layout. Second was a lighted version and replaced the first on the GD. The first was given to Bill Mc. Findley then bought it at an estate sale and put it at Bodie on his layout.
I was crazy enough to build two of them, too ??? at the same time!
Just as an aside, my model railroad club - All Points North in Conroe, TX - has an area called Port Keechi. No idea if it was named after the one in the article. I've been a member less than a year and don't know the history of everything on the layout.
Here's our club web site: http://apnmrr.club/
FYI, the layout diagram there only shows the original layout, it doesn't include the expansion that doubled the layout size. And it's been years since the expansion was added, so our webmaster is way behind in updates.

--

Rick Jones

If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple
car payments.


Murphy P
 

Does anyone have photos of the Texas and Rio Grande Western? I need a few close in shots, so I could read car numbers, in time I would like to build a Texas and Rio Grande Western yellow reefer with blue logo and a boxcar with a standard Texas and Rio Grande Western logo. On ebay I found a kit for a   Texas and Rio Grande Western brown boxcar #64260 single door and a double door also #64260, not sure if either number is correct, but it is better than nothing.

Thanks again for everyone who posts in the forums!


On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 6:48 PM Rick Jones <r.t.jones@...> wrote:
On 8/5/2019 8:14 PM, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) wrote:
> Murphy,
>
> You have a pretty good memory.
>
> Findley built two of these stations! See, *MR Nov 1983 ??? Spreckels
> Station Odyssey.*
> The first was on John's layout. Second was a lighted version and
> replaced the first on the GD. The first was given to Bill Mc. Findley
> then bought it at an estate sale and put it at Bodie on his layout.
>
> I was crazy enough to build two of them, too ??? at the same time!

    Just as an aside, my model railroad club - All Points North in
Conroe, TX - has an area called Port Keechi. No idea if it was named
after the one in the article. I've been a member less than a year and
don't know the history of everything on the layout.
    Here's our club web site: http://apnmrr.club/
FYI, the layout diagram there only shows the original layout, it doesn't
include the expansion that doubled the layout size. And it's been years
since the expansion was added, so our webmaster is way behind in updates.

--

                   Rick Jones

If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple
car payments.




Rick Jones
 

On 8/6/2019 2:08 AM, Murphy P wrote:
Does anyone have photos of the Texas and Rio Grande Western? I need a few close in shots, so I could read car numbers, in time I would like to build a Texas and Rio Grande Western yellow reefer with blue logo and a boxcar with a standard Texas and Rio Grande Western logo. On ebay I found a kit for a Texas and Rio Grande Western brown boxcar #64260 single door and a double door also #64260, not sure if either number is correct, but it is better than nothing.
Those kits that show up on eBay from time to time were released by the NMRA as part of their Heritage Collection. The T&RGW cars were #7 in the series. The NMRA is sold out of them so second hand is all that's available.

--

Rick Jones

Why do we say something is out of whack? What's a whack?


Murphy P
 

In rereading some Gorre & Daphetid articles last night I have come to learn more about Bill McClanahan and Cliff Robinson were some of John's favorite operators on the GD with Cliff Robinson getting a mountain cliff named after him. I believe John joked that one of them was the Deal of Texas HO and the name stuck, might have been Cliff Robinson. John put humor in everything he did, which made him fun to be around and why so many people treasure his memory. Bill and John would joke at times at John's house from what I have learned. Bill was an author who had a sense of humor and understood from his artist training a lot about the flow of land and how to capture it in a layout or drawings, and that knowledge directly transferred to his ability to explain those concepts simply and with fine illustrations.

 

Scenery for Model Railroads by Bill McClanahan was a pioneering book for model railroading first "how-to" in book form on hard shell scenery (hydrocal) and "zip texturing." These were ways of making a lot of fairly convincing scenery in a hurry with minimal fuss or mess with Bill's book being the scenery bible for a span of time. Obviously, there have been some new techniques developed since that book was published such as Bragdon Enterprises Geodesic Foam Scenery that can be used for making very realistic, ultra lightweight & durable scenery at a tiny fraction of the weight of traditional plaster or hydrocal, yet a lot of Bill's ideas are still useful today. Bill's scenery book has John's French's Gulch" in all its glory, photographed as only John could. I believe that Bill's book has long since been out of print.

 

Again if anyone has or knows of some photos of Bill McClanahan's and Cliff Robinson's layouts I would love to view them to find rolling stock numbers model as the photos in RMC or MR are distance shots and can't read the car numbers.

 

I just found a picture from the slides of a MUT boxcar that I can read the number, MUT 90023. Also I found a SWIFT 40' reefer I thought was fake as it was 12000 in a distant background shot in one of the slides, yet on eBay there was a 1950's Varney built-up kit #12000. I guess John liked all the zeros, is it just me or is rare to see that many zeros on a reefer?


Rick thank you! If not for your post I would not have thought to look at eBay to cross check photos with eBay listings and just kept searching Google.

 

Thank you again for this forum and the websites as it makes understanding the GD possible for those of us who did not have the joy of meeting John


On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 4:06 AM Rick Jones <r.t.jones@...> wrote:
On 8/6/2019 2:08 AM, Murphy P wrote:
> Does anyone have photos of the Texas and Rio Grande Western? I need a
> few close in shots, so I could read car numbers, in time I would like to
> build a Texas and Rio Grande Western yellow reefer with blue logo and a
> boxcar with a standard Texas and Rio Grande Western logo. On ebay I
> found a kit for a Texas and Rio Grande Western brown boxcar #64260
> single door and a double door also #64260, not sure if either number is
> correct, but it is better than nothing.

    Those kits that show up on eBay from time to time were released by
the NMRA as part of their Heritage Collection. The T&RGW cars were #7 in
the series. The NMRA is sold out of them so second hand is all that's
available.

--

                   Rick Jones

Why do we say something is out of whack?  What's a whack?




Murphy P
 

Wishing everyone a happy start to the week and back to John Allen in Texas.

Tom asked'
"Murphy,

I can't find the message, but I think you mentioned "hot air" Jack Leming. Jack was also a friend of Jim Findley's. I suspect that he was from the Dallas area. On Findley's Tioga Pass RR backdrop, "... with an airbrush. First he [Jack] lightened the sky color near the horizon; then he nonchalantly offered to paint in the clouds." Bill McClanahan "painted the TP backdrop in its entirety!" (MR Aug 1982)

Speaking of Dallas, I think I read that the Dallas Hotel at Great Divide was a reference to Cliff Robinson's home, where John frequently stayed while visiting. Of course, Bill Mc and Findley were in the area, too."

From my talks with Whit, well what I overheard most of the time, there was a core group of about 4 to 6 Texas model railroaders that would visit John and at times take mini trips together both in and around California, then in Texas when John would visit them.

To my understanding Jack Leming painted the blue sky on the MUT, then John Allen painted all the mountains and forest area of the backdrop.

Here is a photo of some of that core Texas group. Also the three in the photo had rolling stock running on John's layout like Jack Leming's Cape Able & Port Entous single dome black tank car 69, Texas & Rio Grande Western box car 1927 and MUT box car 90023


On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 4:23 PM Murphy P via Groups.Io <murphy23p=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

In rereading some Gorre & Daphetid articles last night I have come to learn more about Bill McClanahan and Cliff Robinson were some of John's favorite operators on the GD with Cliff Robinson getting a mountain cliff named after him. I believe John joked that one of them was the Deal of Texas HO and the name stuck, might have been Cliff Robinson. John put humor in everything he did, which made him fun to be around and why so many people treasure his memory. Bill and John would joke at times at John's house from what I have learned. Bill was an author who had a sense of humor and understood from his artist training a lot about the flow of land and how to capture it in a layout or drawings, and that knowledge directly transferred to his ability to explain those concepts simply and with fine illustrations.

 

Scenery for Model Railroads by Bill McClanahan was a pioneering book for model railroading first "how-to" in book form on hard shell scenery (hydrocal) and "zip texturing." These were ways of making a lot of fairly convincing scenery in a hurry with minimal fuss or mess with Bill's book being the scenery bible for a span of time. Obviously, there have been some new techniques developed since that book was published such as Bragdon Enterprises Geodesic Foam Scenery that can be used for making very realistic, ultra lightweight & durable scenery at a tiny fraction of the weight of traditional plaster or hydrocal, yet a lot of Bill's ideas are still useful today. Bill's scenery book has John's French's Gulch" in all its glory, photographed as only John could. I believe that Bill's book has long since been out of print.

 

Again if anyone has or knows of some photos of Bill McClanahan's and Cliff Robinson's layouts I would love to view them to find rolling stock numbers model as the photos in RMC or MR are distance shots and can't read the car numbers.

 

I just found a picture from the slides of a MUT boxcar that I can read the number, MUT 90023. Also I found a SWIFT 40' reefer I thought was fake as it was 12000 in a distant background shot in one of the slides, yet on eBay there was a 1950's Varney built-up kit #12000. I guess John liked all the zeros, is it just me or is rare to see that many zeros on a reefer?


Rick thank you! If not for your post I would not have thought to look at eBay to cross check photos with eBay listings and just kept searching Google.

 

Thank you again for this forum and the websites as it makes understanding the GD possible for those of us who did not have the joy of meeting John


On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 4:06 AM Rick Jones <r.t.jones@...> wrote:
On 8/6/2019 2:08 AM, Murphy P wrote:
> Does anyone have photos of the Texas and Rio Grande Western? I need a
> few close in shots, so I could read car numbers, in time I would like to
> build a Texas and Rio Grande Western yellow reefer with blue logo and a
> boxcar with a standard Texas and Rio Grande Western logo. On ebay I
> found a kit for a Texas and Rio Grande Western brown boxcar #64260
> single door and a double door also #64260, not sure if either number is
> correct, but it is better than nothing.

    Those kits that show up on eBay from time to time were released by
the NMRA as part of their Heritage Collection. The T&RGW cars were #7 in
the series. The NMRA is sold out of them so second hand is all that's
available.

--

                   Rick Jones

Why do we say something is out of whack?  What's a whack?




Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)
 

These are great! What is are the publications year-month? See that ubiquitous 3-window casting. I think John handed out molds of it to a lot different modelers.

Ok, I finally "got" Jack's tank car name. Guess that was his layout, too.

--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR


Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>
 

I see it...   Just like today....    Same Same...  

Randy


Murphy P
 

The photo of the Texans Jack, Bill and Cliff who became some of John best friends in the hobby comes from MR Dec 1958, page 32. Also in that issue on page 36 Terry Walsh and Pete Peterson page 37 who are also from the Texas group that ran on John's layout.

The photos of John's MUT backgrounds are from MR June 1978, pages 71-76 with a 3 page foldout of most of the backdrop. Here is more about that building from the June 78 issue on page 73.


On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 4:13 PM Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:
I see it...   Just like today....    Same Same...  

Randy