Topics

Bulter Mines Ore Car

Tom Milam

I have been trying to find a good photo of John`s Butler Mines ore car. I want to build and decal a couple for my layout. I have looked for what seems hours with nothing found. Maybe someone has a better memory on this. Thanks!

Tom Milam

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Check the Rolling Stock on the GDLines.org site.

Murphy P

Tom first you need a set of these ACF decals and here is your draft proof of what you wanted for the Butler Mines

 K4 TT Decals 1900 Era ACF Car Builder Insignias White

https://www.ebay.com/itm/K4-TT-Decals-1900-Era-ACF-Car-Builder-Insignias-White/192982879108?hash=item2ceead0b84:g:HB0AAOSwogNdJQqA

Have a good Monday my friend

On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 8:30 PM Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:
Check the Rolling Stock on the GDLines.org site.

Rick Jones

On 8/19/2019 3:24 PM, Murphy P wrote:
Tom first you need a set of these ACF decals and here is your draft proof of what you wanted for the Butler Mines
??K4 TT Decals 1900 Era ACF Car Builder Insignias White
https://www.ebay.com/itm/K4-TT-Decals-1900-Era-ACF-Car-Builder-Insignias-White/192982879108?hash=item2ceead0b84:g:HB0AAOSwogNdJQqA
Read the details on those decals. They're in TT scale, not HO. Might be close enough for some people but I think I'd prefer the correct scale.

--

Rick Jones

You know you're getting old when you keep more food than beer in
the fridge.

Murphy P

I used the smaller scale because of the size of ore car and John's work. If you look at John's model the builder's mark is about half the size it would be on an HO box car, so TT being halfway between HO and N, plus the small size of the ore car, I throught the TT decals would be a better match to John's compression based on the photos.

Here is the HO set if you want to use these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/K4-HO-Decals-1900-Era-ACF-Car-Builder-Insignias-White/202729746726?hash=item2f33a27126:g:xtoAAOSwfgNdJQp~

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 3:01 PM Rick Jones <r.t.jones@...> wrote:
On 8/19/2019 3:24 PM, Murphy P wrote:
> Tom first you need a set of these ACF decals and here is your draft
> proof of what you wanted for the Butler Mines
>
>  ??K4 TT Decals 1900 Era ACF Car Builder Insignias White
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/K4-TT-Decals-1900-Era-ACF-Car-Builder-Insignias-White/192982879108?hash=item2ceead0b84:g:HB0AAOSwogNdJQqA

    Read the details on those decals. They're in TT scale, not HO. Might
be close enough for some people but I think I'd prefer the correct scale.

--

                   Rick Jones

You know you're getting old when you keep more food than beer in
the fridge.

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

I just grabbed a set of both..  You're right about the TT stuff...  They do solve certain problems and when it comes to lettering.  I am not so sure the HO stuff is not a bit out of scale anyway.   Either way, thanks for the link.

Randy

Tom Milam

Thanks

The cars were black and the herald red with white lettering , correct?

Thanks again

Tom first you need a set of these ACF decals and here is your draft proof of what you wanted for the Butler Mines

 K4 TT Decals 1900 Era ACF Car Builder Insignias White

https://www.ebay.com/itm/K4-TT-Decals-1900-Era-ACF-Car-Builder-Insignias-White/192982879108?hash=item2ceead0b84:g:HB0AAOSwogNdJQqA

Have a good Monday my friend

On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 8:30 PM Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:
Check the Rolling Stock on the GDLines.org site.

Tom Milam

Thanks

I like your idea of using the TT scale decals, still would be useful on other HO cars Too

I used the smaller scale because of the size of ore car and John's work. If you look at John's model the builder's mark is about half the size it would be on an HO box car, so TT being halfway between HO and N, plus the small size of the ore car, I throught the TT decals would be a better match to John's compression based on the photos.

Here is the HO set if you want to use these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/K4-HO-Decals-1900-Era-ACF-Car-Builder-Insignias-White/202729746726?hash=item2f33a27126:g:xtoAAOSwfgNdJQp~

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 3:01 PM Rick Jones <r.t.jones@...> wrote:
On 8/19/2019 3:24 PM, Murphy P wrote:
> Tom first you need a set of these ACF decals and here is your draft
> proof of what you wanted for the Butler Mines
>
>  ??K4 TT Decals 1900 Era ACF Car Builder Insignias White
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/K4-TT-Decals-1900-Era-ACF-Car-Builder-Insignias-White/192982879108?hash=item2ceead0b84:g:HB0AAOSwogNdJQqA

    Read the details on those decals. They're in TT scale, not HO. Might
be close enough for some people but I think I'd prefer the correct scale.

--

                   Rick Jones

You know you're getting old when you keep more food than beer in
the fridge.

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Tom,

I posted a photo in my album of two surviving smoke-damaged Butler Mines ore cars. They are owned by Dave Gorelle. The photo was taken on my layout.

The ore sides are cardstock, top lips could be brass, frames and channel bracing is wood, ends are commercial castings (some plastic and some metal), trucks and wheels are all metal. I think the signs are thin brass. My guess is that John had these professionally made … kind of like the ones you find on the underframes of PFM/United locos. Note that the letters for "MINES" is slightly larger that the "BUTLER" letters. These cars were grouped in sets so dummy couplers could be used. Both were missing a coupler one end. One was #371 … the other has no visible number. I double checked both side. They are incredibly fragile!

Murphy P

I got a few private messages about doing a display version of a GD ore car and not a diagram as with the Butler Mines ore car to show the lettering.  Note that the GD ore car has CU FT and not CU. FT. as with this Butler Mine ore car and that this GD car has greater capacity. Both ore cars have the half-moon ACF builder logo in the center of the car.  Both cars have slightly different details. These are drafts for lettering placement and neither drawing is to scale.

Thank you again for everyone who makes this community happen, be it a member who reads the online posts to enjoy the GD as a rewarding outlet to relax or those who regularly post, everyone in their own way helps keep the GD alive and make this a great community,
Murphy

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 9:45 PM Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:
Tom,

I posted a photo in my album of two surviving smoke-damaged Butler Mines ore cars. They are owned by Dave Gorelle. The photo was taken on my layout.

The ore sides are cardstock, top lips could be brass, frames and channel bracing is wood, ends are commercial castings (some plastic and some metal), trucks and wheels are all metal. I think the signs are thin brass. My guess is that John had these professionally made … kind of like the ones you find on the underframes of PFM/United locos. Note that the letters for "MINES" is slightly larger that the "BUTLER" letters. These cars were grouped in sets so dummy couplers could be used. Both were missing a coupler one end. One was #371 … the other has no visible number. I double checked both side. They are incredibly fragile!

Murphy this work is just fantastic.      Car numbering, weight ratings, class, coding and all the whole topic of rolling stock lettering and numbering is really just something I have a novices knowledge of.    It is wonderful to know you guy's who understand a great deal of this and guy's like Tom and Dave and Yourself and so many of the modelers who share this stuff and have done some of this already....!    Tip of the hat gentlemen...   And to see the diagrammed photo's saves me so much guess work already.

I still hope we find new photo's and uncover even more fun things.  The Whit Towers stuff was fun to see as well.  Seems there must be some good photo's of his layout kicking around "unfound" as well.

Randy

Murphy P

GOLD!

This was made in HO and O scale, so good for most scales our group models.

"Max Gray Ore Car with Ribbed Sides"

What does everyone think about this matching John's work?

Max Gray lived in California, so I am guessing he and John created models off the same prototype on the West Coast.

My thought would be this, since John's cars GD and BM both lack the rivet detail these cars do, I might say the cars we see in photos are welded ore cars on John's layout and that if you get some of these versions, they are just the riveted version and change the road number of the car.

If you have the time, I would take this Max Grey car and pop-out the middle 3 vertical supports and replace them with only 2, to match the placement of vertical supports on John's work. This way with simple work, you can have a super detailed Butler Mines or GD ore car that is a near match without having to go into scratch building

Also Google 70 ton hopper or 70 ton ore car

On 8/20/2019 9:12 PM, Murphy P wrote:
GOLD!
This was made in HO and O scale, so good for most scales our group models.
"Max Gray Ore Car with Ribbed Sides"
What does everyone think about this matching John's work?
It appears that John's car in the attached photo has ends that are slanted slightly inward whereas the Max Gray model appears to have vertical ends. Perhaps not a big deal; perhaps significant to anybody trying to come as close as possible to the real G&D rolling stock.

--

Rick Jones

Remember, you, too, can prevent Forrest Tucker.

Murphy P

GD 70 ton ore cars 132 and 183, do perfectly match this type of car. Making #17 from one of the Max Grey was a simple way to have a near 17 by changing supports, without having to scratch-build everything from the start.

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 7:42 PM Rick Jones <r.t.jones@...> wrote:
On 8/20/2019 9:12 PM, Murphy P wrote:
> GOLD!
>
> This was made in HO and O scale, so good for most scales our group models.
>
> "Max Gray Ore Car with Ribbed Sides"
>
> What does everyone think about this matching John's work?

    It appears that John's car in the attached photo has ends that are
slanted slightly inward whereas the Max Gray model appears to have
vertical ends. Perhaps not a big deal; perhaps significant to anybody
trying to come as close as possible to the real G&D rolling stock.

--

                   Rick Jones

Remember, you, too, can prevent Forrest Tucker.

Murphy P

Edited

Here is a lettering map for GD 132 and 183 ore cars

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 8:16 PM Murphy P via Groups.Io <murphy23p=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
GD 70 ton ore cars 132 and 183, do perfectly match this type of car. Making #17 from one of the Max Grey was a simple way to have a near 17 by changing supports, without having to scratch-build everything from the start.

Thank you again for everyone who makes this community happen, be it a member who reads the online posts to enjoy the GD as a rewarding outlet to relax or those who regularly post, everyone in their own way helps keep the GD alive and make this a great community, Murphy

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 7:42 PM Rick Jones <r.t.jones@...> wrote:
On 8/20/2019 9:12 PM, Murphy P wrote:
> GOLD!
>
> This was made in HO and O scale, so good for most scales our group models.
>
> "Max Gray Ore Car with Ribbed Sides"
>
> What does everyone think about this matching John's work?

    It appears that John's car in the attached photo has ends that are
slanted slightly inward whereas the Max Gray model appears to have
vertical ends. Perhaps not a big deal; perhaps significant to anybody
trying to come as close as possible to the real G&D rolling stock.

--

                   Rick Jones

Remember, you, too, can prevent Forrest Tucker.

Tom Milam

Rick,

Thanks, I did not expect this much information, which I would have never know without your interest in my question Thanks Loads (ore Loads LOL) thanks for taking the time and sharing your knowledge of the G&D.

''Tom Milam

Here is a lettering map for GD 132 and 183 ore cars

Thank you again for everyone who makes this community happen, be it a member who reads the online posts to enjoy the GD as a rewarding outlet to relax or those who regularly post, everyone in their own way helps keep the GD alive and make this a great community, Murphy

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 8:16 PM Murphy P via Groups.Io <murphy23p=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
GD 70 ton ore cars 132 and 183, do perfectly match this type of car. Making #17 from one of the Max Grey was a simple way to have a near 17 by changing supports, without having to scratch-build everything from the start.

Thank you again for everyone who makes this community happen, be it a member who reads the online posts to enjoy the GD as a rewarding outlet to relax or those who regularly post, everyone in their own way helps keep the GD alive and make this a great community, Murphy

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 7:42 PM Rick Jones <r.t.jones@...> wrote:
On 8/20/2019 9:12 PM, Murphy P wrote:
> GOLD!
>
> This was made in HO and O scale, so good for most scales our group models.
>
> "Max Gray Ore Car with Ribbed Sides"
>
> What does everyone think about this matching John's work?

    It appears that John's car in the attached photo has ends that are
slanted slightly inward whereas the Max Gray model appears to have
vertical ends. Perhaps not a big deal; perhaps significant to anybody
trying to come as close as possible to the real G&D rolling stock.

--

                   Rick Jones

Remember, you, too, can prevent Forrest Tucker.

Murphy P

Edited

Updated version and wishing everyone a great morning, Murphy

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 11:28 PM Tom Milam via Groups.Io <ncngrr=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Rick,

Thanks, I did not expect this much information, which I would have never know without your interest in my question Thanks Loads (ore Loads LOL) thanks for taking the time and sharing your knowledge of the G&D.

''Tom Milam

Here is a lettering map for GD 132 and 183 ore cars

Thank you again for everyone who makes this community happen, be it a member who reads the online posts to enjoy the GD as a rewarding outlet to relax or those who regularly post, everyone in their own way helps keep the GD alive and make this a great community, Murphy

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 8:16 PM Murphy P via Groups.Io <murphy23p=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
GD 70 ton ore cars 132 and 183, do perfectly match this type of car. Making #17 from one of the Max Grey was a simple way to have a near 17 by changing supports, without having to scratch-build everything from the start.

Thank you again for everyone who makes this community happen, be it a member who reads the online posts to enjoy the GD as a rewarding outlet to relax or those who regularly post, everyone in their own way helps keep the GD alive and make this a great community, Murphy

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 7:42 PM Rick Jones <r.t.jones@...> wrote:
On 8/20/2019 9:12 PM, Murphy P wrote:
> GOLD!
>
> This was made in HO and O scale, so good for most scales our group models.
>
> "Max Gray Ore Car with Ribbed Sides"
>
> What does everyone think about this matching John's work?

    It appears that John's car in the attached photo has ends that are
slanted slightly inward whereas the Max Gray model appears to have
vertical ends. Perhaps not a big deal; perhaps significant to anybody
trying to come as close as possible to the real G&D rolling stock.

--

                   Rick Jones

Remember, you, too, can prevent Forrest Tucker.

Murphy P

Edited

I forgot the S' on appliances, working in an airport is tedious and save: updated v2

https://www.minerent.com/Draft_Gear-Overview.php

Also in looking over the markings, Miner still makes draft gear for railroads. Draft gear is what reduces the impact of when railroad equipment comes together, which reduces frame stress and increases the life of the railroad equipment.

Best regards,

Murphy

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 2:08 AM Murphy P via Groups.Io <murphy23p=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Updated version and wishing everyone a great morning, Murphy

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 11:28 PM Tom Milam via Groups.Io <ncngrr=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Rick,

Thanks, I did not expect this much information, which I would have never know without your interest in my question Thanks Loads (ore Loads LOL) thanks for taking the time and sharing your knowledge of the G&D.

''Tom Milam

Here is a lettering map for GD 132 and 183 ore cars

Thank you again for everyone who makes this community happen, be it a member who reads the online posts to enjoy the GD as a rewarding outlet to relax or those who regularly post, everyone in their own way helps keep the GD alive and make this a great community, Murphy

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 8:16 PM Murphy P via Groups.Io <murphy23p=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
GD 70 ton ore cars 132 and 183, do perfectly match this type of car. Making #17 from one of the Max Grey was a simple way to have a near 17 by changing supports, without having to scratch-build everything from the start.

Thank you again for everyone who makes this community happen, be it a member who reads the online posts to enjoy the GD as a rewarding outlet to relax or those who regularly post, everyone in their own way helps keep the GD alive and make this a great community, Murphy

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 7:42 PM Rick Jones <r.t.jones@...> wrote:
On 8/20/2019 9:12 PM, Murphy P wrote:
> GOLD!
>
> This was made in HO and O scale, so good for most scales our group models.
>
> "Max Gray Ore Car with Ribbed Sides"
>
> What does everyone think about this matching John's work?

    It appears that John's car in the attached photo has ends that are
slanted slightly inward whereas the Max Gray model appears to have
vertical ends. Perhaps not a big deal; perhaps significant to anybody
trying to come as close as possible to the real G&D rolling stock.

--

                   Rick Jones

Remember, you, too, can prevent Forrest Tucker.

Bruce Wilson

Appliances in upper right is spelled wrong with an "e" before the n

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Life Member    NMRA
Member    Scale 7 Group    Gauge 0 Guild  7mmNGA
Member Bird Studies Canada   Ontario Bird Banding Association
Nature Barrie      Simcoe County Banding Group
On 8/21/2019 14:02, Murphy P wrote:

I forgot the S' on appliances, working in an airport is tedious and save: updated v2

https://www.minerent.com/Draft_Gear-Overview.php

Also in looking over the markings, Miner still makes draft gear for railroads. Draft gear is what reduces the impact of when railroad equipment comes together, which reduces frame stress and increases the life of the railroad equipment.

Best regards,

Murphy

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 2:08 AM Murphy P via Groups.Io <murphy23p=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Updated version and wishing everyone a great morning, Murphy

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 11:28 PM Tom Milam via Groups.Io <ncngrr=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Rick,

Thanks, I did not expect this much information, which I would have never know without your interest in my question Thanks Loads (ore Loads LOL) thanks for taking the time and sharing your knowledge of the G&D.

''Tom Milam

Here is a lettering map for GD 132 and 183 ore cars

Thank you again for everyone who makes this community happen, be it a member who reads the online posts to enjoy the GD as a rewarding outlet to relax or those who regularly post, everyone in their own way helps keep the GD alive and make this a great community, Murphy

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 8:16 PM Murphy P via Groups.Io <murphy23p=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
GD 70 ton ore cars 132 and 183, do perfectly match this type of car. Making #17 from one of the Max Grey was a simple way to have a near 17 by changing supports, without having to scratch-build everything from the start.

Thank you again for everyone who makes this community happen, be it a member who reads the online posts to enjoy the GD as a rewarding outlet to relax or those who regularly post, everyone in their own way helps keep the GD alive and make this a great community, Murphy

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 7:42 PM Rick Jones <r.t.jones@...> wrote:
On 8/20/2019 9:12 PM, Murphy P wrote:
> GOLD!
>
> This was made in HO and O scale, so good for most scales our group models.
>
> "Max Gray Ore Car with Ribbed Sides"
>
> What does everyone think about this matching John's work?

    It appears that John's car in the attached photo has ends that are
slanted slightly inward whereas the Max Gray model appears to have
vertical ends. Perhaps not a big deal; perhaps significant to anybody
trying to come as close as possible to the real G&D rolling stock.

--

                   Rick Jones

Remember, you, too, can prevent Forrest Tucker.

Murphy P

Bruce thank you for your help and I changed it in v3

Does this look correct?

Best regards,

Murphy