Topics

Bulline Packers

Warner Swarner

Randy,
Ok, Found the pop up photo on Page 93 but didn’t realize that was Bulline Packers on the pop up.
Looking for a little better view.
Warner

On Nov 8, 2020, at 1:20 PM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

Warner if you look behind the Big Silver Bridge and next to the Oil Tanks and Gas tank in the Port area you will see the large Bull Line Packing plant.  Small cattle ramps and pens...  It was on the section that John could life up in port.

Randy

Tom Milam

On Nov 8, 2020, at 3:11 PM, Warner Swarner via groups.io <wbswarner@...> wrote:

Randy,
Ok, Found the pop up photo on Page 93 but didn’t realize that was Bulline Packers on the pop up.
Looking for a little better view.
Warner

On Nov 8, 2020, at 1:20 PM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

Warner if you look behind the Big Silver Bridge and next to the Oil Tanks and Gas tank in the Port area you will see the large Bull Line Packing plant.  Small cattle ramps and pens...  It was on the section that John could life up in port.

Randy

AndersE

Warner, incidently the full page photo including a Tioga Pass wooden boxcar I posted about in RMC feb 1970 page 38 also is a very good photo of the Bulline Packers at Port. It’s not only the brick building but also cattlepens to the left and the wooden building behind those.
John also had chemical industries but I think that was Fentons Produce.

/anders

Russell Courtenay

I think that is the perfect shot!

I too am interested in Bulline, I have an Atlas O scale stock car painted but have been stopped at lettering.

I have been planning on building John Armstrong’s stock yard on my layout but I really like the Bulline structure.

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/slaughterhouse-anyone-built-one?reply=27475135404634953

On Nov 9, 2020, at 12:31 AM, okrasaghia@... wrote:

Warner, incidently the full page photo including a Tioga Pass wooden boxcar I posted about in RMC feb 1970 page 38 also is a very good photo of the Bulline Packers at Port. It’s not only the brick building but also cattlepens to the left and the wooden building behind those.
John also had chemical industries but I think that was Fentons Produce.

/anders

AndersE

For those unfortunate not having access to RMC feb 1970, here is the picture.
One of the larger facilities on the G&D but often obscured by the bridge out of West Divide.

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

This photo is also on Jeff Whit’s website.

David Woodrell

BINGO!!!!  Great picture - solves the mystery.  Another question about that photo (and many others showing Port), though - what was the gold structure atop the Watson House building supposed to be - an observatory? Ming The Merciless' Death Ray?   (Hey - with John's sense of humor you can't completely discount that possibility!!!).  It has always looked a bit odd to me, hence my curiosity.

Thanks,

Dave

AndersE

If you want a smaller Bulline Facility the one on the ALP might do. Upper picture is of the cattle pens at the exit out of Lone Pine. Lower picture is of the Bulline Packers facility at the western end of Alturas yard. Pictures are from Railroad Modeller October 1975 page 34.

/anders

Russell Courtenay

Very good, thank you Anders.

As I do O Scale, smaller is better, I really don’t want a full 4x8 foot packing house scene.

Though a fully animated, sound equipped scene with scented smoke units would be intriguing...

On Nov 20, 2020, at 1:45 PM, AndersE <groups.io@...> wrote:

If you want a smaller Bulline Facility the one on the ALP might do. Upper picture is of the cattle pens at the exit out of Lone Pine. Lower picture is of the Bulline Packers facility at the western end of Alturas yard. Pictures are from Railroad Modeller October 1975 page 34.

/anders

<0447AF35-A00B-46D6-981C-00A470A6326B.jpeg>

Kurt Youngmann

Back in ’72 - ’74, when I was living in Los Angeles, I visited Whit Towers and his ALP on 2 occasions. I had first met him at John’s in ’61 when I was stationed at Fort Ord.

Whit’s railroad and modeling were very strongly influenced by John! Scenery techniques were particularly similar. His operating system, however, was very different - almost like rambling or a random distribution of cars.

I hinted to Whit that I was interested in joining his ops group, at least as an occasional participant, but no luck.

They had been good friends, those guys, and Whit wrote a heartfelt eulogy which I believe was published in the NMRA Bulletin which he was editing at the time.

There were giants in the land back in those days - guys who had major influences in the direction our hobby has traversed in the years since. Many were memorialized on the G&D.

Kurt Youngmann

On Nov 20, 2020, at 2:55 PM, Russell Courtenay via groups.io <walruswebtech@...> wrote:

Very good, thank you Anders.

As I do O Scale, smaller is better, I really don’t want a full 4x8 foot packing house scene.

Though a fully animated, sound equipped scene with scented smoke units would be intriguing...

On Nov 20, 2020, at 1:45 PM, AndersE <groups.io@...> wrote:

If you want a smaller Bulline Facility the one on the ALP might do. Upper picture is of the cattle pens at the exit out of Lone Pine. Lower picture is of the Bulline Packers facility at the western end of Alturas yard. Pictures are from Railroad Modeller October 1975 page 34.

/anders

<0447AF35-A00B-46D6-981C-00A470A6326B.jpeg>
_._,_._,_

***

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -Samuel Adams, revolutionary (27 Sep 1722-1803)

Jeffrey L Witt

Came across this while looking for something else, a very good shot of Bulline Packers...recalled a thread on this, so here it is:

http://gdlines.org/GDLines/GD_Goodies/The_Slides/Set_02/s2_020_bulline_may63.jpg

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Yup, one of the best, if not the best, shots of it.

(I've been looking for a model of the CNR boxcar for a long. I just can come up with the number.)

And there it is...  Ha... a metal body.. 741
       So much info in those photo's.    I don't think this group or anyone interested in seeing John's layout could ever thank Keith and Jeff enough for this incredible reference library at our fingertips!  Then you add in the personal photo's that have been sent in and the magazine library.... !      I find an answer to just about every crazy question I have had so far, with one good search in those pages.         I just found one of the cars that was in the NMRA auction in Gary Wernicks Photo's....  The man who bought the car can't believe there is a photo of it.  I bet he is sitting at the computer right now and having a BLAST searching through the GD site right now.    Just  Priceless.

Randy

James Little

Tom - Black Cat Decals (<https://www.blackcatdecals.com>) would have the decal set for that CNR car.  Car has a Raised Panel roof, so the prototype would have been built in the late 30's or early 40's.  Intermountain may have a model of the car you're looking for.  Unfortunately it won't be with metal sides.

JIm Little, MMR

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 9:12 AM Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:
Yup, one of the best, if not the best, shots of it.

(I've been looking for a model of the CNR boxcar for a long. I just can come up with the number.)

Jim, I'm no expert but it looks like a PS-1 box to me, which if I'm not mistaken came along in 1947. Surely there were many door/roof variations, though.

Cheers, Jeff

https://www.rocousa.com/Walthers/W9102381.jpg

http://articles.lionel.com/railroad-history/freight-car-friday-the-ps-1-boxcar/

Jeffrey L Witt

Drew M.

I suspect the CN car in question is one of the old, cast metal MDC or Athearn generic 40' boxcar kits.

Drew M.
Philly Pa

Modeling the pre-Depression years.

Sent from TypeApp

On Nov 27, 2020, at 15:08, "Jeffrey L Witt via groups.io" <yahoo.com@groups.io target=_blank>jlwitt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Tom, this one's close, but I'm not sure if "close" is what you're after...

Bruce Wilson

That looks like one of the old metal side Athearn cars

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Life Member    NMRA
Member    Scale 7 Group    Gauge 0 Guild  7mmNGA
Member Bird Studies Canada   Ontario Bird Banding Association
Nature Barrie      Simcoe County Banding Group
On 11/27/2020 17:40, Randy Lee Decker wrote:

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Thanks, Jeff ... and thanks to everyone weighing in on this.

I figured it was a vintage metal Athearn. I have a metal Athearn Western Pacific and was surprised that the number didn't match John's. After some research, I discovered that Athearn issued these cars in a variety of different numbers, albeit prototypically numbers. That changed, for the most part, when the switched to plastic bodies.

I didn't mean to hijack this "Bulline Packers" topic. That's the problem with a single GD photo ... a million topics! HA!