Topics

Brake end John Allen Sway back box car

Tom Milam

Another view of the car.

Any idea if this could be build by John Allen, see earlier posts.

Tom Milam

-----Original Message-----
To: ncngrr <ncngrr@...>
Sent: Sun, Sep 8, 2019 11:12 pm
Subject: Brake end

Matt Hosford

Tom 
Thank you for sharing. I do not know if was built by John nor be qualified too.  However, I would be interested if you see any brush strokes in the paint work. 

Just trying to help.

--
Matt Hosford
Wurn & Whythyrd Lines

Tom Milam

Matt,

Thanks, 
I do not see that there are brush strokes, Floquil paint as I am sure he used lays out pretty well flat when it dries. I know John only brush painted from what I read. Floquil was great paint; airbrush it of brush it on still looks great. I still have about 60 bottles I hoarded when they went out of business, still good paint in bottles.

I will post some more photos of the car.

Tom Milam

To: GandD <GandD@groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Sep 9, 2019 6:44 am
Subject: Re: [GandD] Brake end John Allen Sway back box car

Tom 
Thank you for sharing. I do not know if was built by John nor be qualified too.  However, I would be interested if you see any brush strokes in the paint work. 

Just trying to help.

--
Matt Hosford
Wurn & Whythyrd Lines

Russell Courtenay

Sorry we don’t have many answers for you Tom, proving something like this without some kind of written letter or documentation is difficult. 

Any evidence of letters or notes between the two Allen’s?

Russell Courtenay
Solemnity and profundity are sublime in inequity. 

On Sep 9, 2019, at 7:57 AM, Tom Milam via Groups.Io <ncngrr@...> wrote:

Matt,

Thanks, 
I do not see that there are brush strokes, Floquil paint as I am sure he used lays out pretty well flat when it dries. I know John only brush painted from what I read. Floquil was great paint; airbrush it of brush it on still looks great. I still have about 60 bottles I hoarded when they went out of business, still good paint in bottles.

Tom Milam

Tom 

Just trying to help.

--
Matt Hosford
Wurn & Whythyrd Lines

Charles Kinzer

I guess all we can do is speculate.  So a little more speculation won’t kill anyone I guess.

It is my sense that John didn’t do the same thing over and over and moved along to new projects and ideas.  I guess he made a car or two for Cliff Grandt or something.  But I doubt if cranked out many, or any, sway backed cars for anyone else.  (Of course, I’m open to being proved wrong on that.)

Also, John Allen’s “Aging and Weathering Cars and Locomotives” article in the January 1956 Model Railroader magazine showed how to make a sway backed car.  I would expect that was motivation for quite a few to make their own.  That was a time when there was a great deal of actual building and scratch building occurring in the hobby.  So I would expect a number of such cars to have been made by other than John Allen.  At least, I hope so.

Charles E. “Chuck” Kinzer

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Monday, September 9, 2019 7:31 AM
To: GandD@groups.io

Sorry we don’t have many answers for you Tom, proving something like this without some kind of written letter or documentation is difficult. 

Russell Courtenay

Matt,

Thanks, 

Tom Milam

Tom 

Just trying to help.

--
Matt Hosford
Wurn & Whythyrd Lines

Tom Milam

Russell,

You are  right, I have nothing to prove John built the car, just a story. Be nice to prove but all parties have passed. Only the J, Allen handwritten on the box and the story from Charlie Allen to my friend Jerry, nothing in writing that I know. Just thought  the group would be interested in the car as Charlie Getz asked about his cattle car. I would like to believe that for the most part the people involved with my car were truthful in their story. 
And I am sure many modelers built a swayback car, I own two vintage swayback cars from the 60`s from the details and would follow the article John did. I too attempted to build a sway back car in my youth, I am a more skilled modeler today. I won a Best of Show  award in 1998 for my Jack Work King Post Bridge at NMRA convention, seems like a lifetime ago now. 

Does anyone recall another Allen, being an operator on the Gorre & Daphetid?  

Thanks for everyone's reply.

Tom Milam

From: Russell Courtenay via Groups.Io <walruswebtech@...>
Sent: Mon, Sep 9, 2019 7:31 am

Russell Courtenay

Matt,

Thanks, 

Tom Milam

Tom 

Just trying to help.

--
Matt Hosford
Wurn & Whythyrd Lines

Murphy P

Just decal the car and have a fun car to run on a layout with a mystery included. If the car makes you happy that is all that matters.

Thank you again for everyone who makes this community happen, be it a member who reads the online posts to enjoy the GD as a rewarding outlet to relax or those who regularly post, everyone in their own way helps keep the GD alive and make this a great community, Murphy

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 8:00 PM Tom Milam via Groups.Io <ncngrr=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Russell,

You are  right, I have nothing to prove John built the car, just a story. Be nice to prove but all parties have passed. Only the J, Allen handwritten on the box and the story from Charlie Allen to my friend Jerry, nothing in writing that I know. Just thought  the group would be interested in the car as Charlie Getz asked about his cattle car. I would like to believe that for the most part the people involved with my car were truthful in their story. 
And I am sure many modelers built a swayback car, I own two vintage swayback cars from the 60`s from the details and would follow the article John did. I too attempted to build a sway back car in my youth, I am a more skilled modeler today. I won a Best of Show  award in 1998 for my Jack Work King Post Bridge at NMRA convention, seems like a lifetime ago now. 

Does anyone recall another Allen, being an operator on the Gorre & Daphetid?  

Thanks for everyone's reply.

Tom Milam

From: Russell Courtenay via Groups.Io <walruswebtech=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Sep 9, 2019 7:31 am

Russell Courtenay

Matt,

Thanks, 

Tom Milam

Tom 

Just trying to help.

--
Matt Hosford
Wurn & Whythyrd Lines