Topics

Bosco Figures (now CNC and 3D printing)

Russell Courtenay

I’ll check into that 3 in 1 Machine. I like modular, upgradable, multi-purpose machines, I always liked (but never owned) the old Shop Smith Wood machines as a kid.

I am trying to replace my 3 in 1 lathe (large, mill, drill press) with a full CNC machine but it is a lot of money, need to make a plan to earn it back before committing.

To machine metal takes a lot of mass for stability, my current one is about 600 pounds and way too light. Some guys have filled the columns on machines like mine with concrete to get more mass but mine is way underpowered at 1/2 horsepower total.

This one has 2 horsepower on each of 2 spindles along with full VFD (variable speed drive) and CNC and weighs in at over 1200 pounds.

I must keep developing my ideas for model railroad parts...

On Oct 9, 2020, at 2:51 PM, Rick Jones <r.t.jones@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 10/9/2020 12:22 PM, Randall Smith wrote:
Another option today is 3D printing. Your local “maker” club may have the equipment to scan you, friends, and family and print scale figures. You could also search Shapeways for items like this:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/8UXJHAK9R/ho-seated-figures?optionId=57337346&;li=marketplace
Perhaps one of the vendors creating items like this would be willing to do some custom work, or even create a new line of figures inspired by John Allen.
About a month ago I finally received my Snapmaker 2.0 that I'd pledged to on Kickstarter the summer of last year. This is a 3-in-1 unit that does 3d printing, laser cutting/engraving and CNC routing/carving based on which head is mounted. So far I've just done some test 3D prints and laser engraving; no CNC yet. I need to learn some software to create stuff like this. Until then I'm relying on free files that can be found with STLfinder.

--

Rick Jones

You should never say anything to a woman that even remotely
suggests that you think she's pregnant unless you can see an
actual baby emerging from her at that moment.