Topics

Banner for the Museum display

Jeffrey L Witt

Charlie Getz reached out for TIFFs of one of the slides. They want to make a banner for the museum display:

http://gdlines.info/files/s1_034_bridgesquaw_jul71.jpg 

This is also the cover of the Sunday River video.

I also inquired of Bob Hayden if he could help; his response:

Dear Jeff,

Nothing here. The Benchmark edition was produced using digital copy-dot technology from a hard-cover special edition that I had. There was no original John Allen material involved. Only new material was the chapter on the PFM catalogs and ads, which I think you provided.

Thanks for your help with the book. It’s now out of print, but there are enough copies out there on the secondary market that anyone who wants a copy can probably find one.

Sincerely yours, Bob H.

So the "revised edition" content was created by scanning an original copy of the book!!! Crazy!

Hopefully they can get something useful for the banner; I'm not sure how big it's going to be.

Jeff

Russell Courtenay

Sounds like time for Charlie Getz to flex some muscle with Kalmbach....

Russell Courtenay
Solemnity and profundity are sublime in inequity. 

On Sep 6, 2019, at 12:06 PM, Jeffrey L Witt via Groups.Io <jlwitt@...> wrote:

Charlie Getz reached out for TIFFs of one of the slides. They want to make a banner for the museum display:

Dear Jeff,

Nothing here. The Benchmark edition was produced using digital copy-dot technology from a hard-cover special edition that I had. There was no original John Allen material involved. Only new material was the chapter on the PFM catalogs and ads, which I think you provided.

Thanks for your help with the book. It’s now out of print, but there are enough copies out there on the secondary market that anyone who wants a copy can probably find one.

Sincerely yours, Bob H.

So the "revised edition" content was created by scanning an original copy of the book!!! Crazy!

Hopefully they can get something useful for the banner; I'm not sure how big it's going to be.

Jeff

Charles Kinzer

If somebody needs to borrow a slide (or a slide set) I have “Set #1” and “Set 2”.  Somebody can contact me off group to let me know.

Charles E. “Chuck” Kinzer

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Friday, September 6, 2019 11:59 AM
To: GandD@groups.io
Subject: Re: [GandD] Banner for the Museum display

Sounds like time for Charlie Getz to flex some muscle with Kalmbach....

Russell Courtenay

On Sep 6, 2019, at 12:06 PM, Jeffrey L Witt via Groups.Io <jlwitt@...> wrote:

Dear Jeff,

Sincerely yours, Bob H.

Jeff

Charles Kinzer

I think the slide sets shown at www.gdline.org are these slide sets that were sold.  They are at http://www.gdlines.org/GDLines/GD_Galleries/The_Slides/index.html

If so, then the slide sets are already there.

I think somebody may want a physical slide so they can reap maximum resolution to make a large banner.  If so, everybody knows I have a couple sets of slides.  And there are probably other sets out there also.

Sent: Friday, September 6, 2019 12:58 PM

Nice to see the NMRA come to Jeff and the GDLines.org for photographs.   Nice to see the open, honest, sharing of photographs for such a great project. 

Chuck, it seems if you could send those slides on to Jeff, we could all see them.   The museum could even use them by accessing the GDLines pages.   Just a suggestion. 

Charles Kinzer

I may be having some confusion regarding slide sets.  The ones I have are from “West Coast Slides” and I guess the sets sold by PFM were something previous.  I don’t have those.

Sent: Friday, September 6, 2019 1:16 PM

I think the slide sets shown at www.gdline.org are these slide sets that were sold.  They are at http://www.gdlines.org/GDLines/GD_Galleries/The_Slides/index.html

If so, then the slide sets are already there.

I think somebody may want a physical slide so they can reap maximum resolution to make a large banner.  If so, everybody knows I have a couple sets of slides.  And there are probably other sets out there also.

Sent: Friday, September 6, 2019 12:58 PM

Nice to see the NMRA come to Jeff and the GDLines.org for photographs.   Nice to see the open, honest, sharing of photographs for such a great project. 

Chuck, it seems if you could send those slides on to Jeff, we could all see them.   The museum could even use them by accessing the GDLines pages.   Just a suggestion. 

James Little

I bought the slide set from Peter Prunka a few years ago when he found some unsold sets on CD/DVD ( 5 in total).  The image is on Volume 4.  By going into the folder 'SLIDES' there is a TIF folder with the image on it.  The image size shows 35465 kb.

Not sure if that would be any help.  I can forward it via Dropbox if that would help.

Jim Little, MMR

Jeffrey L Witt

A couple of comments:
- I also have a set of slides, and have offered to loan the slide of interest to Charlie
- I had the slides professionally scanned at a resolution of 34 MP (7142 x 4761), Keith's scans are at 12 MP (4272 x 2832)
- zooming in and comparing, I don't see a difference; even 12 MP seems to be at the limit of the slide's resolution
- I have already provided both versions to Charlie, so thanks for the offer
- the PFM slide set I inquired about is indeed different, it is only layouts #1 and #2
- although not on gdlines.org, I of course have the DVD set and all of the TIFFs
- I also suggested to Charlie that he lean on Klambake; we'll see

Thanks, group.

Jeff

wbswarner

Gentlemen:
I have had a personal conversation with one of the Kalmbach editors who is very acquainted with their holdings and shares our general interest in preserving (not hoarding) historically significant material about our hobby.  They reassured me they do not have the original John Allen book material.  He wrote it, but not as an agent for Kalmbach.  He told me Kalmbach did not do the layout and artwork.  Their edition of the publication was NOT the original, that in fact, what we consider the first Ed was not theirs and THEY were actually “republishing” what Wescott had done.  That’s why they didn’t have original for Hayden.  Hayden had to scan and copy for his edition.
This raises the question did Wescott go rogue and do the original through an outsource group because Kalmbach didn’t initially want the idea.?
This editor shared with me his own interest in preserving John Armstrong (the other John) data and artifacts.
This person was high enough in the Kalmbach company to reassure me that there was no collusion to hide material that they have. (I have been offered a personal visit should I opt to go to their offices in Wisconsin.)  In my opinion continuing to “blame” them for “the box” is not an approach that will get us anywhere. (I’m not pro-Kalmbach, but no use beating a dead horse or making more enemies.). There may be a box and artwork “somewhere” but it is in the possession of someone else.  I will follow up on my discussion with Kalmbach but on a cordial basis.  It will be interesting if this is indeed the case, that Kalmbach did not do the original art, layout and photo prep of the Original manuscript and they only bought the rights to “re-publish” the already for presses book copy. 
In my opinion (from personal conversation) the original artwork for the book does not reside on the Kalmbach campus or in their corporate hands.  They are trying to survive a shrinkinking market but most of their publishing efforts are in other growing fields.  They also publish Astronomy, Discover, Bead &Button, scale Auto and a number of other publications.  
This is just my three cents worth.
Warner Swarner

On Sep 7, 2019, at 4:30 AM, Jeffrey L Witt via Groups.Io <jlwitt@...> wrote:

A couple of comments:
- I also have a set of slides, and have offered to loan the slide of interest to Charlie
- I had the slides professionally scanned at a resolution of 34 MP (7142 x 4761), Keith's scans are at 12 MP (4272 x 2832)
- zooming in and comparing, I don't see a difference; even 12 MP seems to be at the limit of the slide's resolution
- the PFM slide set I inquired about is indeed different, it is only layouts #1 and #2
- although not on gdlines.org, I of course have the DVD set and all of the TIFFs

Thanks, group.

Jeff

Russell Courtenay

Great work Warner! Yes, this seems to be a delicate subject, so glad you found a sympathetic ear at Kalmbach, this is the first I have heard that Linn Wescott was the sole author and publisher of The Book and is quite a discovery that can lead to tracking down the missing memorabilia.  Please continue to do what you can to find more information. You, I and all others here are really looking forward to what you may find!

Russell Courtenay

On Sep 7, 2019, at 1:56 PM, wbswarner via Groups.Io <wbswarner@...> wrote:

Gentlemen:
I have had a personal conversation with one of the Kalmbach editors who is very acquainted with their holdings and shares our general interest in preserving (not hoarding) historically significant material about our hobby.  They reassured me they do not have the original John Allen book material.  He wrote it, but not as an agent for Kalmbach.  He told me Kalmbach did not do the layout and artwork.  Their edition of the publication was NOT the original, that in fact, what we consider the first Ed was not theirs and THEY were actually “republishing” what Wescott had done.  That’s why they didn’t have original for Hayden.  Hayden had to scan and copy for his edition.
This raises the question did Wescott go rogue and do the original through an outsource group because Kalmbach didn’t initially want the idea.?
This editor shared with me his own interest in preserving John Armstrong (the other John) data and artifacts.
This person was high enough in the Kalmbach company to reassure me that there was no collusion to hide material that they have. (I have been offered a personal visit should I opt to go to their offices in Wisconsin.)  In my opinion continuing to “blame” them for “the box” is not an approach that will get us anywhere. (I’m not pro-Kalmbach, but no use beating a dead horse or making more enemies.). There may be a box and artwork “somewhere” but it is in the possession of someone else.  I will follow up on my discussion with Kalmbach but on a cordial basis.  It will be interesting if this is indeed the case, that Kalmbach did not do the original art, layout and photo prep of the Original manuscript and they only bought the rights to “re-publish” the already for presses book copy. 
In my opinion (from personal conversation) the original artwork for the book does not reside on the Kalmbach campus or in their corporate hands.  They are trying to survive a shrinkinking market but most of their publishing efforts are in other growing fields.  They also publish Astronomy, Discover, Bead &Button, scale Auto and a number of other publications.  
This is just my three cents worth.
Warner Swarner

On Sep 7, 2019, at 4:30 AM, Jeffrey L Witt via Groups.Io <jlwitt@...> wrote:

A couple of comments:

Thanks, group.

Jeff

Jeffrey L Witt

Thanks for that, Warner. It was not my intention to re-light that fuse (the mysterious "box"), or blame Kalmbach for anything. But besides the Book material, though, certainly they have large amounts of content that John submitted directly to them, and some of that could help Charlie with his banner.

It is interesting that Linn "went rogue" to create the Book; Kalmbach certainly promoted the heck out of it, though, from the first advert in Sept. 1981 (see below) throughout 1982, and again when it was re-published.

The December 1981 issue of MR was a big G&D issue, also dovetailed into promoting the Book.

Also, the $21.95 price in 1981 (~ $62 in 2019) was seen by many as quite high compared to other Kalmbach soft-cover books.

Thanks for sharing this. 

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Hi Warner,

Thank you for contacting MR and posting this message.

Linn didn't go "rogue" on MR. Check the last page (144) of the Book. Linn retired from MR in 1978 and died in September 1980 while preparing the manuscript for the Book. That page also has some very interesting closing remarks by Bob Hayden, Kalmbach Publishing Co., April 1981.

At the beginning of the Book, it states, "(C) 1981 by Linn Westcott. All rights reserved." So, it wasn't Kalmbach's.
It also lists the following:
Editor: Bob Hayden
Art Director: Lawrence Luser
Copy Editor: Burr Angle
Editorial Assistant: Marcia Stern.

So there's the team.

I spoke with Bob Hayden in 2012 about the existence of the Book's research materials and other artifacts. At the time, I was hoping to find an invoice or other info about the province of the "mysterious" GD #43 loco. He had nothing. He thought MR would have the research material in its archives.

I was a little puzzled, but thought, "Well, he was working for Kalmbach, so the material wasn't his." I assumed that Kalmbach had all of Linn's materials and a bunch of other GD artifacts they collected over a period about 30 years.

So, it makes me wonder … what did Bob actually do as the editor? … and what about the rest of the team? … Who has what? Lots of questions.

Well, let's hope more revelations surface.

--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

David Woodrell

Seems to me that although there may be a small chance that somewhere in the nooks and crannies of the Kalmbach facility there may be a stash of JA material that has not come to light before, we have to ask ourselves WHY would that be the case?  What possible motive could there be for someone to hide or withhold such material?  And, didn't the company move to Waukesha since "The Book" was published?  I can easily see where during such a move a pruning process could have occurred where manuscript material for long past publications might be discarded rather than dragged to the new facility, just to be stashed again, taking up room.  I personally think that Kalmbach is a dead end.  However, although I may have missed it in the myriad of strings dealing with this subject, has an attempt ever been made to contact anyone in the Westcott family (if any remain) about his files or papers that Linn may have kept during his work to complete the book?  Sounds like he may have been pretty much a "lone wolf" in its preparation and research so wouldn't it make sense that if anything still remains it might be in the family's possession?  Wouldn't that be a fun discovery?!!

Thanks Warner, Russell and Jeff for your constructive comments on this subject.

Dave

Make that spelling “provenance” ...
--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR

Jeffrey L Witt

Here's some info I found regarding the Book, from the April 1981 MR - indeed "finished" by Bob Hayden, whatever that means. Westcott died Sept. 8 1980:

Marcia Stern was an Associate Editor at Kalmbach from Sep 1979 - Dec 1998. She's ~63 years old. https://www.linkedin.com/in/marciastern/ 

From what I can tell, Lawrence Luser died in Sep 2004 at age 63. He was art director of a 1980 Kalmbach book called "Hints and Tips for Plastic Modeling." Same team as the Book … with the addition of Bill Schotz as artist.

Burr Angle past away six years ago today. https://www.channel3000.com/obituaries/-burr-angle-/158634166 

--
Tom
<PR> PINE RIDGE RR