Topics

Auction

Larry Smith

Hey guys

I just got this today and thought you might be interested.

Larry Smith

Tom Bell

On Fri, 21 Aug 2020 at 23:22, Larry Smith <wooddale@...> wrote:
Hey guys

I just got this today and thought you might be interested.

Larry Smith

Randy Lee Decker

Well after all this time, all it takes is money.   fascinating.

I really have mixed emotions about this.
Though I hope this will:
•bring in funds for the NMRA,
•get these artifacts into the hands of true fans,
give some boost to the profile of John Allen’s modeling,
•bring in more fans to this group.

On the other hand:
•It might open the floodgates for ‘collectors’ to place a high monetary value on things that to us have high historical value.
•It is sad nobody in the NMRA sees any other use for this material.

On Aug 21, 2020, at 4:11 PM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

Well after all this time, all it takes is money.   fascinating.

Randy

David

Randy-

Money does make the world go 'round!

David (Dry Gulch & Western)

On Friday, August 21, 2020, 03:11:31 PM PDT, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

Well after all this time, all it takes is money.   fascinating.

Randy

Al Guckes

I don't see a lot of items that I believe will draw many bids. I am glad the NMRA if offering them for auction. John was very supportive of the NMRA. When I called him to ask if I could visit the G&D the first question he asked me was"Are you a member of the NMRA?

Al Guckes

Larry Smith

Larry Smith

On Friday, August 21, 2020, 8:31:25 PM CDT, alguckes2001 via groups.io <alguckes@...> wrote:

I don't see a lot of items that I believe will draw many bids. I am glad the NMRA if offering them for auction. John was very supportive of the NMRA. When I called him to ask if I could visit the G&D the first question he asked me was"Are you a member of the NMRA?

Al Guckes

Rick Jones

On 8/21/2020 6:27 PM, alguckes2001 via groups.io wrote:
I don't see a lot of items that I believe will draw many bids. I am glad the NMRA if offering them for auction. John was very supportive of the NMRA. When I called him to ask if I could visit the G&D the first question he asked me was"Are you a member of the NMRA?
I didn't see anything there I'd be interested in bidding on. I'm more happy with the 3 locomotives I have from Dean Freytag's layout than I would be with any of that damaged and mostly useless stuff.

--

Rick Jones

"Just a little touch of madness will help to keep you alive."
-Robin Williams

Charles Kinzer

I think any appeal is likely little related to usefulness or damage, if at all.  It is, rather, about provenance.  It isn’t the what, it’s the who.

I remember when the O scale “Museum and Santa Fe” layout designed by Minton Cronkhite was dismantled at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry.  Various rolling stock was sold which was, admittedly, in pretty good shape.  But they also got big money for buildings on the layout including ones that were actually rather crude in construction.  Again, not so much the what, but the who.

On 8/21/2020 6:27 PM, alguckes2001 via groups.io wrote:

> I don't see a lot of items that I believe will draw many bids. I am glad

> the NMRA if offering them for auction. John was very supportive of the

> NMRA. When I called him to ask if I could visit the G&D the first

> question he asked me was"Are you a member of the NMRA?

    I didn't see anything there I'd be interested in bidding on. I'm

more happy with the 3 locomotives I have from Dean Freytag's layout than

I would be with any of that damaged and mostly useless stuff.

--

                   Rick Jones

"Just a little touch of madness will help to keep you alive."

    -Robin Williams

myelanich@...

So is this stuff other contents of the "satchel"?

Matt Hosford

From the NMRA eBulletin July / August 2020

eBulletion sent to NMRA members about events involving the NMRA for those who may not know.

In other news, we have received a donation of items salvaged from the home of noted model railroading icon John Allen after the fire that destroyed his home shortly after his death decades ago. These are being catalogued.  Some will appear in the "Magic of Scale Model Railroading" exhibit at the California State Railroad Museum, some will be preserved in the NMRA archives, and the remainder will be offered for auction only to NMRA members.  Proceeds go to the Howell Day Museum Fund. Details will appear on our website, as well as in a future issue of NMRA Magazine and in a special NMRA eBulletin which we expect will be published in a month or so.  This is a rare chance to own a piece of model railroading history, so keep your eyes open for details.

--
Matt Hosford
Wurn & Whythyrd Lines

Rick Jones

On 8/22/2020 6:52 AM, myelanich@... wrote:
So is this stuff other contents of the "satchel"?
Apparently not. The auction page says it's stuff that some neighbor kids scavenged from the remains of the fire, with the permission of John Allen's brother. And they've been saving this stuff all these years until recently donating it to the NMRA. I wonder how many people were aware that this batch of stuff was out there?

--

Rick Jones

"The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts working when you get up in the morning, and doesn't stop until you get to the office."
-Robert Frost

Bruce Wilson

The auction page says no such thing about salvage.  I suspect all of this material was recovered by Keith Trinity who bought John's house and cleaned out the basement will fixing up the house, finding many things in the process.

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Life Member NMRA
Member Scale 7 Group Gauge 0 Guild 7mmNGA
Member Bird Studies Canada Ontario Bird Banding Association
Nature Barrie Simcoe County Banding Group

On 8/22/2020 10:00, Rick Jones wrote:
On 8/22/2020 6:52 AM, myelanich@... wrote:
So is this stuff other contents of the "satchel"?
   Apparently not. The auction page says it's stuff that some neighbor kids scavenged from the remains of the fire, with the permission of John Allen's brother. And they've been saving this stuff all these years until recently donating it to the NMRA. I wonder how many people were aware that this batch of stuff was out there?
https://www.avg.com

Larry Smith

From the article that was with the auction notice, it sounds like no one knew they had the material all these years.  The timesaver was saved and was used for many years at the PCR conventions.  I post the full article later today for you to read.

Larry Smith

On Saturday, August 22, 2020, 10:03:01 AM CDT, Rick Jones <r.t.jones@...> wrote:

On 8/22/2020 6:52 AM, myelanich@... wrote:
> So is this stuff other contents of the "satchel"?

    Apparently not. The auction page says it's stuff that some neighbor
kids scavenged from the remains of the fire, with the permission of John
Allen's brother. And they've been saving this stuff all these years
until recently donating it to the NMRA. I wonder how many people were
aware that this batch of stuff was out there?

--

                  Rick Jones

"The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts working when you get up in
the morning, and doesn't stop until you get to the office."
    -Robert Frost

Tom Milam

Larry,

The Timesaver used  at PCR wAs Allen  Fenton’s timesaver, not Johns. I was chairman of the Timesaver contest for the PCR in the 80’s .
2:56 minutes , Allen Fenton was chairman then, for six cars was my best time. My son Seth (8 at the time)would beat  most Adults time. The PCR made a junior timesaver category soon after that. He beats  me still does when we get together to run the snap track timesaver we have.
Now he is working on his live steam railroad 1 1/2 inch scale and plans on adding a timesaver.

Tom Milam

From the article that was with the auction notice, it sounds like no one knew they had the material all these years.  The timesaver was saved and was used for many years at the PCR conventions.  I post the full article later today for you to read.

On 8/22/2020 10:18 AM, Bruce Wilson wrote:
The auction page says no such thing about salvage.  I suspect all of this material was recovered by Keith Trinity who bought John's house and cleaned out the basement will fixing up the house, finding many things in the process.
Sorry, it was this attachment that was with the first message in this thread. It's mentioned in the sidebar at the lower right.

--

Rick Jones

He who laughs, lasts.

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Thank you for sharing this, Larry.

The loco and tender items are from Rod Smith's "satchel" collection. They look like they've been cleaned ... or something. Maybe its just the lighting.

There are also some items from the Monterey & Salinas Valley Railroad Historical Society collection. They also have/had GD #27's AT&SF-style tender, which is in fairly good condition. That should be added to the auction to keep them together. The GDLines.org website has many photos of this complete collection.

The damaged stone portal was the one at Corsa ... above Cross Junction. I hope this ends up in Randy's hands. He could make a casting from this, adding the missing piece, and display the original.

David

Randy-

Bid early and bid often!

David (Dry Gulch & Western)

On Saturday, August 22, 2020, 02:31:37 PM PDT, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

Yeah I am going to try for the portal...  I can fix the missing piece...  but the photo's do show some weird way john covered the corner of it,  perhaps it was some very hard plaster and it broke the corner when the guy's pulled it out years ago.  ??    The concrete arch that sat directly behind this portal was in the burned house photo's  I had hoped it would have been saved.     Hard to believe a lose item like that was not kept yet this portal that was plastered in did.

      And I might bid on one engine..  I don't think I can swing it, as there are many guy's who might want one even burned... but it would make for an excellent display here, and help me tell people about this tragic ending...  Would be so nice to have one of Johns engines here in the garden yard......  Work crews swarming over it, ladders new parts welders flashing...  Best display ever for one of those old engines.  Far better than sitting on some case on a glass shelf  with a typed out note explaining John Allen and his fire.  #27 would be OK without the tender  but you are right Tom, they should stay together.

Tom Milam,  BTW this reminds me....;   Rod Smith sent me along a copy of this early time saver groups rules and certificate etc. I have to look at it again to remember the name or title on it..   But I know this was Fenton's group.      You guy's out on the Central West Coast formed, from what I understand of it all, a few very fun yet different groups including the bunch who went to Russ Cains place and operated there and various places and then other operators and friends of John's who have continued on.    I was so glad to talk with (and create a place in my layout for) Glenn Joesten who had some fun stories of time with John and later with some of the guys who remained there.

 I would think you might already have a copy of this in your things....but if not let, just me know I will try and scan this and send it if you want.    And please email anytime..  I am searching for more info and would love to talk.  Thanks

Randy   randyleedecker at gmail.com

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Hi Chuck,

I think you may be able to contact Charlie Getz (NMRA). If he hasn't already been told, let him know that the GD (AT&SF-style tender) shown on the NMRA photo spread belongs with the GD #27 loco, an AT&SF prototype 2-8-0. I think it was lot #40. Not only do they rightfully belong together, their auction would garner significantly more funds.

I think he would appreciate knowing this.